Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollowichigo_gw

Divide my lily?

HollowIchigo
10 years ago

I was given this lily for my birthday a year ago and it's been doing well. I noticed that the base of the lily seems so have 2 sections to it as well as maybe a third coming up.

Do I need to divide my plant and if so when and how?

Comments (7)

• HollowIchigo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't know if it matters but this is what the whole plant looks like.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Pretty! It's an Anthurium. Division is not necessary, quite optional. I might repot this plant soon, but don't think I would do any separating/division.

• HollowIchigo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you purple. I'll be getting it another inch this weekend.

10 years ago

Glad to respond! Don't understand your last comment about another inch?

• HollowIchigo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A new pot with an extra inch in diameter.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

That's 'potting up', and different than repotting. Repotting, which includes bare-rooting and root pruning that plant before transplanting into a fresh, free-draining soil, offers much greater opportunity for the plant to realize the potential Mother Nature provided it with.

It should easily go back into the same pot if you repot instead of pot up.

Al

10 years ago

(I thought that's what you meant, H.) Agree with Al's advice, and don't at all miss trying to pack dirt evenly around the sides of the old root ball. Haven't done that in years, and try not to "pack tightly" anyway. After doing tons of both, potting up and repotting, repotting is definitely easier for me to do, and I haven't had a bad result yet.

Slicing off a 'pancake' of circling/tangled roots at the bottom is often all that's needed. That also allows the old soil to fall off/out of the rest of the roots more easily. If you've never trimmed roots before, feel free to add another pic of the rootball out of its' pot, to get more specific advice.