Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelinpink1

Nerve Plant Cuttings?

Angelinpink1
9 years ago

I have two nerve plant cuttings about a week and a half old. Their leaves are turning brown and curling but they each only have one skinny little root each. What should I do? Plant them, cut off the foliage, chuck them altogether? Would love anyone's thoughts on this.

Comments (5)

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

Did they develop the root while in water? If so, let the water roots get a chance to develop further - don't cut off leaves except any really rotten bits that might fall and contaminate the water, and keep the water changed periodically.
    If the "cuttings" came WITH a "soil root" then I'd plant them into a small pot with not too much moisture, and see if they recover.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

If you can share a pic or confirm they are Fittonias, I'd suggest you put them in their pot in a plastic bag for a while to conserve humidity while they root.

• Angelinpink1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are indeed fittonias and had no roots when i started them.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Hi Angel,

Thx for the pic. While I root many things in water, Fittonias are not one of them. I only ever pinch & return the pinched bits (2-3 prs. of leaves usually) into the mother pot to root there.

I'd try a much smaller container to water root them. I'd pot them up after the root attains an inch in length & them cover the entire thing in plastic, blow up the bag & seal it shut. Wait 'til you see new growth to gradually open the bag a bit at a time. Until you see that new growth, open the bag every 3 days or so, blow into it again & seal it back up. This both restores humidity & circulates the air in there, both necessary for good growth (& to stave off any rot).

Fittonias grow as a forest ground cover but require a lot of humidity. I've only ever succeeded in growing it either in terrariums or in my bathroom window.

Also may I pls. disagree about NOT changing their water, just top it off by adding to it.

The reason is that it's said that water rooting cuttings exude a growth hormone that helps / makes them grow, so I leave it be. In readings I've seen mention of this same effect of helping them (like a rooting hormone), in something like willow cuttings (IIRC - if I recall correctly).

When I first moved into my current apartment some 25 yrs. ago, I carried in my arms as an armful (in the moving truck) a large terrarium full of small leafed green & white Fittonias (just like yours). The mover must have asked to buy it at least 3 times, no dice.

I had it for a number of yrs. before I got tired of it & the space hog that terrarium was (needed for other plants).

When my sister took a new apartment about 5 yrs. ago, I gave her as a housewarming present, a terrarium full of the larger, red veined Fittonias.

I got in her house & hid it, 'til she stepped away & I could put it out in a showy place. She took one look & started jumping up & down w/ glee -- I just love a well planned housewarming gift!

Good luck w/ yours!

• Angelinpink1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! One of the roots has gotten extremely long and the other is starting to grow two more so i think they will make it! Thanks for the help!