Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greattigerdane

My new variegated peace lily (pic)

greattigerdane
16 years ago

I saw some of these plants over the weekend for sale at a local nursery and I felt lucky that I was able snatch one up before they were all gone!

Billy Rae

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:74713}}

Comments (10)

• amany
    16 years ago

Billy Rae, your new peace lily is lovely. I've read about variegated peace lilies, but I've never seen one in the stores. You were smart to snatch it up.

Do variegated peace lilies need more light than non variegated ones?

• greattigerdane
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Amanda,

Yes, it wouldn't hurt to give this one just a "little bit more" bright light than the all green to keep the variegation bright with maybe some "late" afternoon sun as well and it should be fine.

Billy Rae

• black-thumb
    16 years ago

Nice Peace Lily!

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Beautiful Peace Lily..expect to keep it many yrs..I think the variegated are easier to grow and bloom than the green. Toni

• greattigerdane
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks black-thumb,

I re-potted it today because it was drying out two days after watering it. The pot was full of nothing but a ton of fat roots. There was maybe a half a cup of soil "inside" the middle of the root mass. NO soil whatsoever on the outside of the root-ball at all!

Toni,
    Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing this one flower and someday propagating a few little ones!

Billy Rae

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Oh Billy, it sure sounds like it needed re-potting..What size pot did you plant in? What size was the original pot? What material pot did u use?
    Though they're not the prettiest containers on earth, I really prefer plastic pots, (plants are sold in) or clay. (though I wouldn't pot up a PL in a clay pot) Good luck w/your new baby..Toni

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Hi All,

Interestingly Toni, I found this varieg. one tougher to grow than the regular, which I also used to grow. Have since given up on Spaths, watering a bit too tricky for me now & it's a houseplant, that while quite lovely, I ended up quitting for the sake of more succulents & of course, more Hoyas!

For interested parties, these sometimes show up in supermarkets (nice sized one my at my market 1 or 2 yrs. ago for $9) &/or box stores, often called Spath "Domino".

• black-thumb
    16 years ago

Hi Billy Rae

Two of my other smaller peace lilies were like that too. No dirt just all root!

• charlesh2008
    15 years ago

I received a vargi lily from my neighbor, I repotted it as it appeared to root bound, it has done well with the eception of blooming, it tries to bloom, the blooms turn brown and die. what is the issue?? it is inside, not in direct sun light. thanks

• tootswisc
    15 years ago

Is this plant in the same family of an aglaonema. Don't they look similiar. I have problems growing both peace lilies and aglaonemas.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks