Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

A Lucky Find :)

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Mom and I went downtown today to this annual festival called Mayfest. The one church had an indoor yard sale in the basement, where you could fill a bag for a dollar. While browsing around, I saw they had some house plants setting out and what I found was priceless: a small pot of the true Christmas Cactus! I'll have to repot it since it's in a container without drainage holes, but it's so healthy! I'll post pictures tomorrow!

Even further good news: I have a Night Blooming Jasmine seed that has sprouted for me!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (12)

• jessiec777
    12 years ago

That is a lucky find! I know I would sure be excited about it! I wonder what color it's flowers will be :-)

• snowdogmama
    11 years ago

All the ones that I have seen have been pink. Supposedly there are a few red ones out there also.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Brad,
    Wow, that is a lucky find! I can't wait to see the pictures.

Planto

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

HI...great find...and you know that is probably one of the best places to find a true cc...I thought that they only bloom pink, is there a red also??? I don't know...
    good luck with your new cc......linda

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Brad..Congrats on both counts.

Wow, going to church brings happiness; you found your happiness. Lucky you!

Can't wait to see pics of your old/new CC and Jasmine seedlings.

It's strange..yesterday, a friend and I were talking about finding a true CC. We wondered if this plant was around anymore and if so, the reason they were so difficult locating.
    Uncanny....Toni

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, everyone!

I will try and get pictures on here as soon as I can! So far, only one NBJ seed has sprouted for me. I haven't repotted my true CC yet, since the only potting soil I've been using has been going toward my Winter Sowing. Just finished the last containers for the Zone Wars today. I still have more to plant!

If I don't get the pictures done today, then I'll do them tomorrow.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As promised, here are the pictures. I'll repot my CC sometime this week.

Christmas Cactus
    {{gwi:85061}}

Night Blooming Jasmine seedling
    {{gwi:85062}}

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing the photos, that is one very nice looking CC for the price you paid!

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Brad, very nice CC. You really lucked out.

Perhaps you should clip a few cuttings, then after they root, place back w/mom??

How did it work? You wrote, 'one church charged 1.00 for a bag of 'X.'
    Did you place the CC in a bag? If so, did you add other plants to the bag? :)

It's too bad the church doesn't give donators names. It'd be nice contacting the previous owner, ask if they know your new CC's age.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Planto and Toni!

Toni, I just might do that with this plant to get a more even look.

The church had signs that said "Indoor Yard Sale in basement. Fill a bag for $1". They had assorted items set out on tables, like a yard sale or flea market. The CC was too big to fit in my bag, so mom took it to the ladies who handed out the bags and they held on to it for us until we were done.

Chances of thunderstorms here all day today, so I think I'll have to put my repotting duties on hold for now.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

Brad, thank you for posting the pic.. I think I have this plant as well but didn't know what it was

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Brad, again, you really lucked out. CC are rare these days..I don't know why, but they are.

Wonder if anyone knows the reason.

Brad, what does thunderstorms have to do w/repotting? lol.

Plantmasterm. Can you post a pic of the plant you think is a CC? Toni

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH