Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missappleton

Variegated peperomia is dying in an odd way

missappleton
10 years ago

Hi all!

I'm new to posting in GardenWeb. But ever since I decided to keep plants and do something with my barren garden, I've been scouring the discussions for tips, pointers and help. Have tirelessly searched for a solution to my current problem, but haven't found any answers :( Hope someone can shed some light!

I bought a variegated peperomia a month ago. Kept it under shaded sunlight, watered only occasionally. It thrived. But it was still in a plastic bag so we repotted it 2 weeks later in a terracotta pot (with drainage holes) using generic organic potting soil. Unfortunately decided to put it in direct sunlight. After reading that it is a no-no I brought it back into shade.

Now, something strange happened somewhere between repotting and full sun exposure. The bottom leaves began to have brown patches and eventually fell off. At first I thought it was because we repotted it too high (my husband had happily piled the soil on!). But later the younger leaves eventually had brown/yellow patches that turned translucent and then all that remained were holes. It is as if the leaves are melting off!

Could it be too much nitrogen? But that does not explain the translucent bit? At first I thought it was scorching, but these symptoms continued well after the plant was in shade for a good few weeks.

At this point I don't know what to do, so have left the plant as it is, not sure what else can be done to save it?

(I live in a tropical climate where sun and rain is abundant and it's often crazy humid, if that info is of any help)

p.s. Don't have a picture now but will post up after work!

Comments (18)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Its probally suffering the effects of repotting and direct sun. Can you posta photo of the plant

And welcome to gardenweb :-)

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

Yea, without pics it's a shot in the dark, but the description of "melting" makes me suspect over-wet soil. Pepperomias are usually rather succulent, and wet soil is the kiss of death. Too much sun, I would think, would result most likely in scorched leaves, they would look light tan, almost white, and become crispy. Of course, not all plants react the same way, so TG could be right.

In your researches, I would recommend you look up some of Al's excellent tutorials on soil, soil moisture, and "gritty" mixes, on this forum.

• missappleton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses! Appreciate them. Yes, repotting is probably a factor, I don't think we did a very good job at it. Will educate myself at the resources suggested :)

Here is a photo. It used to so much more bushier. Also, most of the uglier leaves have been cut off so what you see is less adverse than what it was before.

• grrr4200
    10 years ago

looks like it got sun burnt

• missappleton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did leave it out in the blazing sun :( However, how long does the effects of sun burn last/carry on? It's been in the shade for the past 2-3 weeks, but the 'symptoms' are still progressing on.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

the plant will grow new healthy leaves and the old leaves will eventually fall off

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

Yea, seeing the picture, it does look like sunburn - those areas of very light tan. A fungal infection, which is what you would have killing leaves if soil/roots were the basic problem, would be darker brown with yellowish margins, usually. Of course, you probably have secondary infections striking the necrotic areas that were killed by the sun, and those could be spreading to other leaves.
    Why don't you go ahead and cut off the damaged leaves - you'll feel better, and so will the plant.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

And no more direct sun for this plant pls, I believe it needs bright, indirect light or some shade, but not direct sun. Good luck w/ it.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Agree with the above, and also this could be causing issues:

"The bottom leaves began to have brown patches and eventually fell off. At first I thought it was because we repotted it too high (my husband had happily piled the soil on!)." I would remove any soil above the original level.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Good catch Purp!

Some plants can take being buried even deeper when transplanted(does wonders for lycopersicon),but in most cases all you are doing is smothering your plant.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

It works wonders for tomatoes which i think asleep mentions

• missappleton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Have done all that was advised. Fingers crossed they will make it through :)

• Albert Zahra
    6 years ago

Leaves of Peperomia Obtusifolia Variegata turned like this: anyone knows why pl?

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

No, sorry Albert, hard to say; better to show us the whole plant pls. not several dying leaves. Don't wish to be rude, but it could be many things.

You may be new here, but if you'd pls start a separate, new thread for this question, you'll likely get better results. This post is 4 yrs. old.

• Albert Zahra
    6 years ago

Unfortunately I've removed all rotten leaves, therefore a picture of the plant won't show anything...in case it occurs again I'll take a photo and upload; next time round on a new thread - tnx for thesuggestion

• Oksana Kobzar
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Anyone knows why these is happening? Two leaves are turning grayish almost translucent on the edges and edges are curling in

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    4 years ago

Again Folks, if you'd like us to help you must please provide pix, we simply cannot help you w/out them, as we cannot SEE the problem, as we are not mind readers, we need to SEE to DIAGNOSE.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Oksana - have you recently decided to "give the plants a little sunshine"? Photo-oxidation due to sun over-exposure typically causes tissues to turn gray before they turn brown or black. This is just a SWAG. As noted, more info is required.

Al

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County