Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lucky Bamboo Tap Water

Posted by rachels.haven 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 0:55

Just curious-
Do you always have to water lucky bamboo with distilled water? Will it slowly kill it to water a soil planted cluster with water from the tap? Debating whether or not to get a cluster soon and buying special water might be going a little bit far.

-Rachel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lucky Bamboo Tap Water

I know you can read this everywhere, I don't think this is the no1. killer of these plants.
I have bamboos in water and some in soil and other dracaenas and they are doing well with half tap/half distilled water. I heard it is the high levels of chlorine and fluoride that harms them.

o

What about catching rain water when the weather's nice? I use tap when plants come inside for winter, there's too many - I'd need a pallet of distilled water. But yeah, lots of stuff in tap water can make these plants ill. A lot depends on how you water, if plants ever get rained on, what exactly is in your tap water.

o

You can make your own distilled water also.

If chlorine is a factor, you might be able to let it sit out for a few hours (up to 24 hours) and the chlorine would dissipate.

Buying distilled water for a few plants is not as bad as I thought either. I thought I may go through lots of distilled water like I would for a regular plant, but it seems that so far, the plants I have that don't like tap water, also take the distilled water in very slowly, so it is not even every 1 or 2 weeks that I might need to refill/re-water.

o

I managed to get through the whole winter without using tap at all,and I can totally relate to Purp's "too many" issue. It was a rough ride but now I can get rain again without having to melt snow...that was a pain! lol

Guess it goes without saying,that I'm pretty hard core about what I water with,be they "sensitive" or not.

o

Very dedicated, Asleep!

Volatile forms of chlorination will evaporate, non-volatile forms won't. If your municipality uses a non-volatile chlorination, sitting won't help remove it. Good to let tap come to room temp though, when necessary to use it.

Other stuff like fluoride and lime doesn't evaporate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here