Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lali_gw

What should I do with my corn plant?

lali
14 years ago

I have some corn plants that are outgrowing my house! LOL They're literally touching the top of my ceilings (9' tall) and one of them is starting to bend at the top because there's no place else for it to go.

Here's a pic of the whole plant:

{{gwi:85193}}

Here's a closer look:

{{gwi:85195}}

What should I do with the plants now? Can I take the top XYZ feet off and root it in water or soil? The lower 3'-4' of the plant is basically stalk with no leaves. How much can I take off the top? And what would happen to the remaining stalk (with or without leaves)? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! I have 3 of these big plants ready for some attention.

thanks!

Lali

Comments (5)

• greenchic
    14 years ago

Thats one happy corn plant!

I would say cut off part of the top and root in water. Then when you see roots just barely poking out, plant it in soil.It looks very healthy-im sure the newly potted pieces will survive the transplant.

I have a corn plant in my kids room where it is bright and recieves early morning sun. Its doing well in there but it grows slower than i expected. How long have you had yours?

• lali
    Original Author
    14 years ago

greenchic,

How much should I cut off the top? 1, 2, or 3 feet? Maybe even more? Because it's doing so well, I don't want to shock the plant.

I got the healthy corn plants from my Mom. She has ultra green thumbs and propagates them here/there and she leaves them outside to get full and bushy (doesn't get below 35 deg). When I got these corn plants (3 plants total), they were about 6'-7' tall and a PITA to get home without damaging too many of the leaves. It's taken them about a little over a year to get to 9' tall. I was thinking of giving these back to her and swap them for some of her other healthy plants, but it's such a big hassle to move them now that they're so big.

So, my delimna.... what to do with them now. How much should I cut off? If I try rooting them in water, do I put the cuttings in bright indirect light or in the same spot as where the plant is currently?

thanks,
    Lali

• greenchic
    14 years ago

I would cut generously (2 feet maybe?) but not so much to take the amazing height from the plant. Try this on one of the stalks, not both-just in case the method dosent work as well as planned. I would suggest putting the cutting in a place near the spot it grew up since it is already acclimated to the lighting. Remove a few bottom leaves. New growth will sprout from the wound. Good Luck! I'd love to hear how things turn out.

Also consider airlayering. I've never tried this myself since my houseplant havent grown yet so tall. But I hear its good for some plants. Heres a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Layering Houseplants

• ronalawn82
    14 years ago

lali, two things; the three stalks are at different heights. I would cut back to keep this profile. Secondly, the stalks are too bare between the rim of the container and the level of the window sill. I would cut the tallest stalk back enough to give me a "cutting" that I could stick in the pot so that the bare area would appear leafy. Treat all three stalks and use them similarly if the effect suits you. Snipe the base of the cuttings in the usual fashion and stick them in the potting mix. If they look like they need watering in between your schedule for the whole plant, then water the cuttings only and very sparingly. And if you are skeptical about the whole idea, then so was I until I tried it.

• lali
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ronalawn82,

So any suggestions for how much I should cut off the top? Maybe 1/3 off the top? This would leave the plant at around 6' tall and a 3' tall cutting. What do you think?

And yes I'm a bit skeptical, not because I don't believe you but because I'm skeptical that I'll do it correctly. What I'd hate to do is have the cuttings die on me. Do I need to treat the cuttings in any way (root hormone or such) or do I just put the cuttings back in the soil of the original plant?

thanks,
    lali