Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider Plant 'Babies'

Posted by quimbly (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 10 at 2:48

Hello green-thumbs,

We have a spider plant (Chlorophytum Comosum) which been going bananas lately, producing dozens of flowering vines with baby spider plant "bunches". After our 3-year-old daughter ripped off a few of the babies for fun, we placed them in glasses of water. Much to our delight, they grew long sets of roots in a matter of a couple weeks. We planted these babies in small pots and soon saw some significant growth in them as well!

Surprisingly, however, the small baby plants are now producing flowering vines and look to be ready to spread themselves.

My question to you experts is: should I cut off this vine in the small plants? It seems to me that the plant is wasting a lot of its energy trying to reproduce so quickly. Would the plant bush out more, and do better overall if we snip the vine?

All suggestions and info welcome! Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider Plant 'Babies'

You are right, snip off the vine and give the baby a chance to fill out

o

My sister has two spider plants one is the mamma and one is the baby. Both are full sized plants. She keeps the *babies* off of the baby plant and it has almost caught up to the mama plant in size. I agree, clip them off.

o

Eva's Spider Plants Page may be of interest to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here