Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grice_gw

Please tell me about Neem Oil.

grice
16 years ago

What exactly is it? I hear good things about its use in fighting spider mites.

Is it the same as Safer Insecticidal Soap?

I am still trying to win the war with spider mites. The buggers have already coast me a Meyer tree. My Homolemena,Parlor Palm,Ficus,and Calmondin are all under attack. I cut all the leaves off my Calamondin and placed it outside. The leaves are growing again but I fear the mites will attack again once I bring the tree in for the winter. My ficus is still showing signs of being infected. I see a few molted leaves on it. The same for the palm and homolamena. I have been washing the leaves of the ficus,homo,and palm off every few days with warm water. My ficus is far too large for me to haul back and forth to the bath tub every day or so. I need something more potent yet non toxic to humans and pets. Would Neem be a safe effective way to deal with the mites.

Also,where does one buy neem oil for houseplants. Would I find it at Lowes or Home Depo?

So sorry for all the questions.

Thanks.

Grice

Comments (40)

• lucy
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

When you use Safer''s, do you use it on all plants in the same area at the same time, then do it all over again 5-6 days later and again a week after that (to get any eggs missed the first or second time)? That's important, as is keeping up the humidity in the area. I'm sorry I've never used Neem for mites, and can't tell you much about it, only that many people use it for pests, though whether it's effective on mites I don't know.

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

You can find neem based products at many garden centers.

The products come formulated as insecticidal soaps as well as the actual oil as well as extracted azadirachtin (the insecticidal part of the oil) in a lightweight oil base.

I forget the brand (I think it's BonNeem) which is an insecticidal soap made from the fatty acids of the neem seeds. There is nothing on the label to indicate if it contains any azadirachtin so I assume there is none. This would make it roughly the same as any insecticidal soap. To be effective the pest must be sprayed directly.

Products that actually contain azadirachtin (look on the label ingredient list) are what most people are talking about when they mention neem (I assume). Safer's Bio-Neem is such a product.

This product works by smothering what it is sprayed on (because it's in a lightweight oil base) and then the azadirachtin remains on the plant and is toxic to any insect that eats it. This means anything eating or sucking plant tissue. It doesn't last forever. Outside it's usually necessary to apply every 7-14 days or after a significant rainfall. Not sure what it's life expectancy would be on an indoor houseplant.

Neem is non toxic to people and pets. It's also non toxic to any insect that isn't directly sprayed or that doesn't eat sprayed plants.

Almost forgot, neem does work on mites.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

Neem Extract as an Insecticide

In India mainly, but also Asia and Africa, grows a tree all plant enthusiasts should be aware of, Azadirachta indica, commonly known as the "neem" tree, and a relative of mahogany. Extracts from the trees seeds contain azadirachtin, a relatively safe and effective naturally occurring organic insecticide. Let me preface the comments following, by reminding you that the terms "naturally occurring and/or organic" do not universally mean safe. Pyrethrums, rotenone, and even the very dangerous nicotine are all organic insecticides that should be handled with great caution. Neem extracts, on the other hand are very safely used in a wide variety of cosmetics, as a topical treatment for minor wounds, as an insecticide in grain storage containers, bins, and bags, and a whole host of other applications, and have extremely low mammalian toxicity. I'll limit this discussion to its use as an insecticide.
    Neem works in many ways. It is effective both in topical and a systemic applications. It is an anti-feedant, an oviposition deterrent (anti-egg laying), a growth inhibitor, a mating disrupter, and a chemosterilizer. Azadirachtin, a tetranortriterpenoid compound, closely mimics the hormone Edison, which is necessary for reproduction in insects. When present, it takes the place of the real hormone and thus disrupts not only the feeding process, but the metamorphic transition as well, disrupting molting. It interferes with the formation of chitin (insect "skin") and stops pupation in larvae, thus short-circuiting the insect life cycle. It also inhibits flight ability, helping stop insect spread geographically

Tests have shown that azadirachtin is effective in some cases at concentrations as low as 1 ppm, but some producers use alcohol in the extraction of neem oil from plant parts which causes the azadirachtin to be removed from the oil. Some products touting neem oil as an ingredient actually have no measurable amounts of azadiractin. I use what is referred to either as cold pressed or virgin neem oil. You may also occasionally find it referred to as "raw" neem or "crude" neem oil.

Neem oil is most often used in an aqueous (water) suspension as a foliar spray or soil drench. Commonly, it is diluted to about a .5 to 2% solution, but the suggested ratio for use in container plant culture is 1 tsp. per quart of warm water. A drop or two of dish soap (castile or olive oil soap is best) helps keep the oil emulsified. The mixture is then applied as a mist to all leaf and bark surfaces and as a soil drench to the tree's root system. It should not be applied as a foliar spray on hot days or in bright sun as leaf burn may occur. Remember to agitate the container frequently as you apply and do not mix anymore than you will use in one day. Neem breaks down rapidly in water and/ or sunlight.
    Some users of insecticides feel the need to observe the instant results of their efforts in order to be convinced of the effectiveness of what they are using. The application of neem derivatives does not provide this immediate gratification. There is virtually no knockdown (instant death) factor associated with its use. Insects ingesting or contacting neem usually take about 3 - 14 days to die. Its greatest benefit; however, is in preventing the occurrence of future generations. It is also interesting to note that in studies it was found that when doses were given, purposefully insufficient to cause death or complete disruption of the metamorphic cycle, up to 30 surviving generations showed virtually no resistance/ immunity to normal lethal doses, so it appears that insects build no Âresistance to azadiractin.

I have been using neem oil for five years as both a preventative and fixative and have had no insect problems on my container plants. Applications of cold-pressed neem oil are most effective for use on mites, whitefly, aphids, thrips, fungus gnats, caterpillars, beetles, mealy bugs, leaf miners, g-moth, and others. It seems to be fairly specific in attacking insects with piercing or rasping mouth parts. Since these are the pests that feed on plant tissues, they are our main target species. Unless beneficial like spiders, lady beetles, certain wasps, etc., come in direct contact with spray, it does little to diminish their numbers.
    Neem oil does have an odor that might be described as similar to that of an old onion, so you may wish to test it first, if you intend to use it indoors. I've found the odor dissipates in a day or two. As always, read and follow label instructions carefully.
    Neem oil can be purchased from many net or local sources. My favorite brand is Dyna-Gro pure, cold-pressed neem oil. If you have trouble locating a source, you can contact me via the forum or directly.

AL FASSEZKE

• grice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the information.
    Justaguy I'll look for Safer's BioNeem. Hopefully I'll locate it at retail here.
    Thanks again to you all.
    Grice

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Grice, are you still battling mites? That's awful..those suckers are real pains..
    I remember you saying you lost a citrus. The thing is, when you treat, you have to spray all plants in that area. Otherwise, mites could be hanging around ready to pounce a neighboring plant.
    If you're interested in Neem Dyna-Gro, they sell it at www.homeharvest.com ....8oz for 14.95 or 32oz for 39.95.
    In the meantime, if you have Fish Emusion at home, why not use it as a foliar spray?
    Grice, do you run a humidifer in winter? It's a good idea investing in one..also, keep a fan running on low to help w/air circulation.
    Once you bring plants inside during fall months, hose leaves/stems off. Do a thorough job. Let air dry before bringing indoors.
    Make a habit hosing plants in sink, those of managable size..once a wk is fine.
    For larger plants you can carry, place in tub and shower. Especially palms which are mite magnets when air is dry plus lack of fresh air.
    Whatever, I hope you rid those suckers..Good luck, girl..Toni

• ines_99
    16 years ago

I will tell you about neem oil, it smells nasty!! I couldn't bear to breathe while using it and started to lose consciousness from lack of oxygen. I will stick with insecticidal soap and gently hosing those little mites off.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Ines, does Neem have a chemical smell? Even though it's chemical-free..If so, I don't blame you for almost losing consciousness. I dislike that smell, too..
    Some of the most harmless things have stinky scents..for instance, Corn Products (corn syrup) is about 4 towns away from our house..it's basically burnt corn but boy does it stink..For some reason it's worse at night..The EPA got involved and CP's had to purchase new machinery ridding 95% of that strange odor..Yuck..Toni

16 years ago

.... and if I held my breath every time in read something silly on these forums, I'd regularly pass out too. Fortunately, I'm able to overcome the urge to hold my breath, thus preserving reasonable stability in my stream of consciousness. ;o)

It's not the neem oil that robs you of O2, btw .... Cold-pressed neem oil smells mildly of old onions, and it undoubtedly smells much milder than day-old fish emulsion. Until now, I've met no one who objects hysterically to its odor. Scheesch.

Al

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Toni... I promise you that Neem smells much better than your garlic potion! lolololol! Or fish oil.

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

Maybe it's just the product I use, but I don't recall or notice any objectionable odor from neem.

It's not odorless, it's simply that the odor (whatever it is) isn't potent enough that I have ever paid attention to it.

I would certainly agree that fish emulsion has a much more potent odor. Some are bothered by it, I am not.

And I *am* one to sneeze and avoid the chemical/fertilizer isles at big box stores because that odor does bother me. I usually buy what I need at a nursery with the products outside or mail order so I don't have to smell the really obnoxious crap that I would never allow on my property.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Rhizo, I've never smelled Neem...was basically asking if it had a chemical odor. Of what I read, Neem is harmless to humans. When someone above mentioned its smell, it got me thinking of chemical scents..When I worked at HD, I remember walking down the plant supply aisle, and it stunk..can't stand chemical smells. It literally takes my breath away.
    95% posts I've read regarding Neem were positive..I don't like fish either, lol, but FE doesn't bother me..Oh yes, garlic isn't the most fragrant smell, but that's okay, since pests don't care for it either, therefore no bugs..:) Toni

• florey
    16 years ago

Spider mites need it hot and dry. They hate cool and moist. So, three days of rain, or heavy water spray, should get most of them., usually, all of them.

Plain light cooking oil, with a squirt of dishsoap, to make it stick, is good for smothering spider mites You can thin it with rubbing alcohol. Cottonseed oil,is probably cheapest, and did well in some comparison. It may have a little residual effect, from what ever they spray cotton with for boll weavils. Check the GW search for cottonseed oil.

Spray the whole, big,window area where they were, with vinegar and water, about 40/60, or windex, or alcohol, for 3,to 5 days, to prevent their return.

Neem oil, [Dyna Gro, from Logee's], has earned it's keep here. The prevention aspect, especially, is really endearing. It's helpful for fungus, too. On a warm day, take everything outside. It is a little smelly -old garlic and an old sock. It's worth it. Some scent, may hint, just a bit, for days. One time only, when I used it, my nose was a lot more sensitive, than other times. Go figure.
    It needs the container warmed, to smooth the texture [there are no annoying little clumps, if it's lukewarm]. Start by setting it, still tightly capped, in the bottom of the bucket or pourer, in a little hot water, for a while. To ease the pouring of 2 capfuls per bucket, I poked only a 1/8 " hole, into the seal paper, so only a little comes out at a time. If the cap leaks, its a sticky smelly goo. Then toss in a tiny squirt of dish soap, and a capful of fertilizer. It needs sloshing or pouring, to stay mixed, as the oil rises to the top. Pour some into your pourer, and use that first pitcherful, where it needs it most. The fertilzer, though, may not be good for you. I don't like that on skin, for sometimes, I got a metalic taste ,if it got on my hand..
    It's been years since I've had spidermites. BUT,I got impulsive, at the big box, then, set the new little coffee, and snakeplant-[it was blooming but there was no evening scent], and cool mystery plant [ardisia, a florida invasive!], by the other stuff. I poohpoohed it when, it was only a little bit of red spider that showed up, i'd never had any plants that it bothered. They're usually the easiest bug to get rid of, ...and postponed... It was almost, warm enough to put everything out... Turns out coleus, solandra, and reinwartia are really susceptible, so is fuchsia. Well, it did warm up enough, in time, to put everthing outside. Thank goodness.
    Palms though, all those places to hide...
    If you can get your plants out into the [cool moist] shade, squirt them hard sideways, with water for a few days. Most of the bugs will wash off. Then try a bucket or two with Neem.

Those bigbox plant aisles, full of huge sacks of very strong poisens, are awful. The buyers for those stores, should rethink what keeps items on nearbye aisles, from being sold, as people flinch and cough 2 aisles away. Like restaurant workers no longer have to be exposed to cigarettes, it can't be good for people, to have to work that near to poisens, that need to be sold with danger flags. I'ts a wonder they don't sue.
    Good Luck, florey

• milwdave
    16 years ago

Sensitivity to smell is relative....I can take any chemical smell from a pesticide/fertilizer aisle....but when I walk into a Macy's or some other dept store where colognes are sold I start to wretch. I use neem and I love the stuff.:)

Dave
    Milwaukee

• GrowHappy
    16 years ago

Grice, I am an (unpaid!) advocate for this product. I wouldn't grow plants without it! Sure, it has a rather stinky odor, but I've gotten so used to it that it no longer bothers me. What's important is what it will do for you- rid you of your spider mites. I was successful in ridding an Alocasia 'Polly' of mites using this product. I use it as a preventative in the summer months when plants are outside. It's effective against mealies too. Not sure about scale, as I've never had to battle this insect.

Someone mentioned using a humidifier during the winter and I agree 100%. I wasn't using a humidifier when the Alocasia was stricken with mites. This past winter, I used a humidifier in each room and no mites.

So, take the plunge, Grice. Use it EXACTLY according to package directions. I suggest 100% pure Neem oil by Dyna-Gro.

GH

• watergal
    16 years ago

I recommend Dyna-Gro Neem too. I think it smells a little oniony but not bad. Ditto on the humidifier - no mites since I started using one.

I am allergic to fragrances, and the worst is walking down the cleaning supplies aisle - it's like perfume overload! I hardly notice the pesticide aisle smell.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

It's funny how some ppl are sensitive to certain odors and other scents don't bother tham at all.
    Like Watergal stated, she's sensitive to cleaning products, I agree..it plugs up my nose..and in fall when big-box stores set out rodent products, Yuck..they make me sick to my stomach..
    What angers me is my dh works for the EPA..he has to go on inspections; one is a fabric softener company..the thing is, this company has been around about 30 yrs..New ppl move in the area, most aware of this company since fabric softener can be smelled daily, now they're trying to sue the darn company!! Talk about unfair..to be honest, I like its smell, but wouldn't want to breath in the fumes 24/7..So, if I was looking for a home, and was told about the fabric softener company, I'd think twice about moving there. I would imagine breathing this product on a daily basis wouldn't be good..
    Then again, like I said earlier, Corn Products is a few towns away from us..It used to be awful, but it was just burnt corn..Still, it did stink..but burnt corn will NOT harm a person..again, this company has been there over 30 yrs and now ppl are complaining..why move to a town you're going to complain about down the road???
    I love the smell of freshly mowed grass..umm, and watermelon..lOl.
    Does anyone bring plants to sink and hose? If you do, you'll notice a fresh fragance after hosing..it smells delicious.
    Some ppl dislike scents of gardenia, jasmine and citrus flowers..I dote on these fragrances.
    There's a cactus called Starfish, (don't know its botanical name, Karen would know) anyway, ppl say the flowers smell like rotting meat..lol..I've sniffed at flowering Starfish at the conservatory, but couldn't detect an odor. Flowers are pretty though. Toni

• GrowHappy
    16 years ago

Ahhh, yes, the carrion flower. LOL I think the latin name is Stapelia. I have a small one, a wee tiny thing. It'll be years before I enjoy the putrid smell of it's lovely flower. LOL

And ditto, Watergal, on the Neem. It smells like rotten onions. I will admit this only on a plant forum: I've gotten so used to the smell, that I kinda like it. Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    GH

• florey
    16 years ago

Growhappy, that was really funny, But there is an up to the smell, for me too. Neem makes me thankful. That stuff is gonna work, it is great backup.
    The plants I foliar watered with Neem, and a little fert, are bouncing back from the mites. Aaaah.

Had a stapelia years ago, It was very exciting when it finally bloomed, with a brown spotted flower[not a Logee's]. Mostly it wasn't bad, even unoticeable unless up close, but sometimes it wafted. phew. I lost it afterwards, that winter.

• grice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am so sorry for not responding sooner. It's been rather hectic for me.
    Yes Toni I'm still fighting the good fight. I think I have eradicated them from the calamomdin. It's looking very well. My Homolemna is still being attacked. I couldn't find BioNeem today at Lowes or HD so I bought Greenlight Neem Concentrate. I hope that works without any damage to the plant. Oh yes,I use a humidifier. I think I will take your advice and start misting.
    Florey ,I should have checked here beore going to the store. If this fails to have an affect on the mites I'll order some of DynaGro.
    Grow if I had known the trouble pests could be with houseplants I may have never taken up the hobby. It's a good thing I found out after the fact. I can't imagine not having my 'rainforest' as my neice calls it.Lol.
    I'll invest in the 100% neem by DynaGro.
    Thanks to all of you for the help and advice.
    Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
    Grice

• florey
    16 years ago

Grice, what about the cultural conditions, can you optimise them?
    Today I picked off some of the last old mite bit leaves, and found a toad! It's gonna rain here for a week. Great ! Time to tuck away the cactus and other dislikers of soggy roots. Maybe I'll prune a few cuttings. It'll be a good time to hose squirt, the undersides of the leaves, between showers. Maybe I'll just tip the mitey ones on their sides, and let the rain do the washing. The mites hate it cool and humid.
    As soon as it stops, in a week, that'll make it 3 or 4 weeks, since the last time they were watered with the Neem mixture. That seems like it will be a good interval to repeat it.
    Did it hit every inch in round one? How long is it supposed to be effective, Al? The Cacti and walking iris, like it. Capfulls of Neem and of fertilzer, and a handful of cornmeal in the bucket too, all work well together, and it's easy. There was rust on the fig, two years ago, not after cornmeal last year.
    Toni, I just saw on another thread, that you use lemon rind [genius!], and garlic in your other mixes. do you think there's something with bugs and some scents? I read that gardeners in the Carolinas, tie bounce sheets, around their ankles, to keep chiggers off!
    Ines, you might like to try it again, I only had a reaction the one time, but it wasn't nearly as bad as yours. No reaction now. I've come to love this stuff. It is so interesting to compare notes, I hope you give it a minisniff [outside] and see if it's ok now. Hope so. Good luck, florey

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

GW, thanks..that's the name..Stapelia..Even though it's supposed to stink, lol, I'd like mine to flowwer..
    Florey, are you saying, after stapelia flowers, it dies back???
    Yep, been using citrus rind and garlic for yrs..I think bugs dislike the odors of both ingredients..
    Grice, I'm sorry you're still dealing w/mites..that's ashame. Grice, though there are some folks here who don't believe in misting, last winter, when there were 'problems' here at home, I stopped misting..and then came the bugs..so I notice the difference. Since starting up again, they're finally dying. Thank God..what a pain..so I can only imagine what you're dealing with..Toni

• garystpaul
    16 years ago

Neem oil is great, so is Safer's Insecticidal Soap and Concern (the same thing). I've never had trouble getting rid of spider mites with the following: a spray bottle with 1 cup isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, 70%) diluted with from 1 to 3 cups water, with a few drops of liquid soap as a surfactant. I spray the undersides of leaves mostly. If I'm worried about injuring tender leaves on the plant (propagated roses, for example), I'll leave the spray on for 15 mins, then spray off with plain water. Weekly spraying with water will usually control mites anyway. Good luck! GaryStPaul

• grice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Florey. I can't do anything further to optimize the conditions of the room. A toad huh? That would thrill my children but freak me out. Lol
    GaryStPaul thanks for the recipe!
    Grice

• florey
    16 years ago

Try misting and spraying under the leaves with ICE water. That's from a Tovah Martin book [E of P].

Bagging the pot, and twisting and securing the bag around the stalks to keep the dirt in, makes it easier to upend the plant, and keep the dirt in, while you squirt those undersides.
    Damp and Coolness will get them all, if you could do it. Sounds really frustrating.

I always worry about critters in the curtains and window frames. Strong alcohol or white vinegar/ water-50/50 seems to work, if used repeatedly.

Was hunting around for you, noticed other posters looking for you too, [one place is the spider mite old remedies thread,] Hi gang, and came up with this link, on food plants with scents that mites hate. Makes you want to get out the blender and try some concoctions as an alternate. But What?
    Lemon oil furniture polish, has a lot of limonene- you could polish the wood furniture, then eat pesto in the 'rain forest'. lol ! Then, swab the deck, with storebrand 18% pine oil cleaner.

Oh, the toad was happy where he was, i'm sorry to have scared him though. There may be a special way to pickup a toad, glad I didn't have to.
    Toni, I did in the stapelia, by disturbing the roots then watering it, rot.

• grice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link Florey!
    I haven't touched a toad since I was 13 or 15,many moons ago lol.
    Grice

• object16
    16 years ago

Just picked up a gallon of Neem oil. Thanks for the thread.
    Paul Mozarowski.

• rdak
    16 years ago

I've been using neem oil for years. Good stuff IMHO.

Tidbit: Neem oil is great for cuts, scrapes and rashes also.

I also put some neem oil on my dogs cuts, rashes, etc., and it works VERY well on them. It's ok even if they lick the stuff (which mine don't do because of the taste apparently).

Testing has been done and neem oil isn't toxic to mammals.

• idealist
    15 years ago

I am picking up this old thread, hopefully someone answers. Would you use neem oil on herbs and such where leafs are intended for eating? I have spider mites on something else sucking in my mint, cilantro, basil, parsley just to name a few. If not any suggestion?

15 years ago

Cold-pressed neem oil is safe for use on food crops. It's used in lipstick & often as a component of medicines used to quiet upset stomachs, as well as in stored grain to keep insect activity at a minimum. Read the label of ANY other neem product you might come across to determine its suitability, though. There are many products that list neem oil as one of the ingredients that may NOT be suitable for use on food stuffs. Additionally, steam extraction of the oil greatly reduces the amount of azadirachtin in neem oil, which is the root of its effectiveness, so the cold-pressed product is best from the perspective of both safety and effectiveness.

Al

• goforclio_gmail_com
    14 years ago

Hi, saw this old thread...have been using dyna gro neem oil on my balcony plants for about a year now, and it seems to have quietened down the horrendous mealy bug I had, not to mention leaving all the leaves on everything beautifully green and clear of dust and dirt. However, with a west facing balcony on the third floor, after about midday we have full on, blazing hot sun that scorches anything on the balcony, bar cacti, succulents, bougainvillea, geraniums, etc. I make a point of spraying the neem oil after about 5 or 6pm, once the sun's heat has dissipated, and I only remember to do it at most, once a month (truthfully, more like once every two months). But I'm wondering if the cold LA air is in anyway bad for the plants, combined with neem oil?

The reason I ask is my geraniums seem to be mealy bug free for many months now, but there are always several leaves that seem dried out, brown and crispy. They start out with a yellow, soft patch, which spreads to become a dry, brown leaf. It happens on the new, young leaves, and only on a small minority of the leaves, but it's consistent and I can't figure it out. So I wondered if either the cold from spraying at night, or the heat the following day after using the neem oil, could be damaging the leaves? I see no bugs on them, so it doesn't seem like a pest. And I assume if I'm just not watering the plant enough there wouldn't be a soft, yellow, young leaf. Wouldn't all the leaves be going brown? Like I said, the majority of the leaves are fine, healthy, green leaves.

• momzdoll
    13 years ago

let me tell u we grow up in india we have neem tree all over in our garden ,backyard and roads ..yes i admit smell is pretty bad but not chemical kind ..neem is abslutelly harm free seeds when they become full riped it tests sweet ,tree skin is good for pimple and dandruff,oil is good for eczima and itchy ..even leaf is good if u mix in ur rice or cloth ..they will keep bugs away .
    neem tree is full of good things,,so use it and dont afraid ..its a natural plant with no harm.

13 years ago

Thank you for your input! As noted above, I've found it to be an excellent natural insecticide and a good fungicide, if used to that purpose (fungicide) prophylactically instead of remedially.

Again though, the cold pressed product is much more effective than other products that have extracted the oil using steam or solvents.

Al

• chelseaxavier_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I've never had a problem with the way Neem smells. My very 'chemically sensitive' boyfriend thought it smelled like lemon peels. I learned about Neem from a marijuana forum ( you'd be surprised how much those guys know about growing beautiful plants indoors lol) about a year ago and have been using it once every couple of days as a root soak when I water and a misting spray. I have successfully kept an 8 foot majesty palm, cat palm and about 30 other tropicals absolutely free of mites since I've used it, and I used to get mite infestations all the time!

• perlite
    13 years ago

Clio, Did the problem begin when the cold snap happened in your area? Maybe it was just a little too chilly for their tastes. If they are gathered close on your balcony and a fungal problem began, it will spread more quickly when they're close together.
    I lived for a long time in the Sonoma County area, and Pelargoniums tolerate the chilly nights there and seemingly endless winter rain with little problem. Maybe your plants believed they would always be warm and cozy in LA, and are mad about this winter's nasty weather. You folks really got nailed!
    Be sure to remove any sign of the fungal problem as soon as you see it, including any foliage that falls onto the soil of the pots & anything with new spots (because they might shed spores). If you can, maybe changing the spray time to early morning would help. Try to move them farther apart for a while, too.
    Hope this helps.

• flip1228
    7 years ago

Go online and buy 1000 ladybugs.

Bring the plants inside and place them in as small a closed room they will fit in.

Add the ladybugs and wait a week.

Open the window and free any remaining any ladybugs.

Depending on what you're growing, you can eat or smoke it immediately.

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    7 years ago

About 5 years late, flip! ;-)

• pothead
    6 years ago

i used peroxide mixed with bacterial soap on my brown turky fig tree for rust spots next day it was worse i am worried the tree will die now

• perlite
    6 years ago

Yep. Peroxide on plants is not a good plan.

• pothead
    6 years ago

t hanks