Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hankeat

What variety is this Dracaena Massangeana?

hankeat
10 years ago

Today I saw a Dracaena Massangeana in a home improvement store that sold at 37.99â¬. Very high price! But the plant looked quite different than normal Dracaena Massangeana. It had much longer leaves. I wonder it's a new variety. I hope someone could ID it for me. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

That is pricey for such a cheap plant. Alomst a rippoff. Yet it is so healthy. It is the same variety. but the proper name is Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana'. The species is fragrans and the variety is massangeana. fragrans is plain green in the wild.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

TG, you are familiar with all species of Dracaena and their cultivars and hybrids, and their behavior in a pot vs. in the wild? As you should be learning in school, when quoting info, you should include the source. Spell check is your friend.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

"such a cheap plant"...?!!

Supply meets demand. Anyone in the trade knows what a customer is willing to pay and sets the price accordingly.

If I was to call something in your collection "cheap",..something tells me you would be insulted by that.

....Just saying.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

i didnot take this from any one source. i have known that for years. my grandmother taught me most of my information. if i give info to somebody info from a external site, I give a LINK!!!!!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Please don't yell at Purp. :(

• hankeat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Because of the price I thought the plant was a new cultivar that they imported from USA. Normally the prices of plants in Germany are much more higher than in US, as here is cold and dark most of the time. The nurseries need to heat their greenhouses and provide extra artificial light for their plants 7 months of the year.
    However, I have the Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana' with short and hanging down leaves at home. The plant in the photo does look different with its long and pointing up leaves. It looks very elegant like a Cordyline with Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana' leaves. That's why it's so confusing.

10 years ago

I'm sorry, TG. Was just pretty sure you haven't been "in the wild" with Dracs. Of course your gramma is/was(?) a brilliant plant-o-phile, I forgot about her.

If this is a "corn plant" it's not like any I've seen before. I couldn't find a pic of any with such long, upright leaves. Maybe it is one but it's a GIANT cutting from a huge tree in the wild? (Oh brother, in the wild again?!) Did you take any other pics, Hank?

Wouldn't 38 Euros be around $60? That seems a likely price for a plant this size. Corn plant is very common, but one that big wouldn't be inexpensive.

The last time I saw a Drac I didn't recognize it ended up being a type I'd never heard of before. Maybe FW will know what this one is too.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I wasant yelling at you purple, Im deeply sorry. I sometimes forget i am talking tto real people and my manners on the internet turn butt

PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!!!

10 years ago

Absolutely, all is well, my friend!

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

Hey, yea, corn plants are our friends.
    I agree Purple, this looks like a cutting, tho probably not from the wild, but from a nice big healthy plant growing in lots of light, hence the wide upright leaves and vivid yellow striping in the middle.
    Fragrans tend to lose their yellow coloration if they remain in lower (typical indoor) light for very long.
    Of course, there might also be new cultivars floating around out there. I'm going to have to visit some of my professional friends to get some catalogues - I knew I should have gone to TPIE this year.
    BTW, Hank, do you know if there are growers in the southern climes who supply these plants? Italy, Israel, Turkey, wherever? Can you ask the store where their suppliers are located? I'd be interested to know.

• hankeat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the contributions.

@purpleinopp: I don't have other photo. I will take another one, when I am there next time. Normally taking photo of a product in a store is prohibited here. However, I will take it secretly. :)

@theficuswrangler: Sorry, I don't know any growers in southern Europe. I will ask the store about their suppliers, when I visit it.

By the way I have been asking few bloggers the ID of this plants and googling it too. I found a website that describe Dracaena fragrans "Chinto" (should be "Cintho") and I believe this is the plant in my photo! But the plant in my photo is more vigorous. I am waiting for the answers from two bloggers to double confirm, as it's very difficult to identify plants, when we don't see it personally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dracaena fragrans âChintoâ

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

One of mine looks like that Dracaena fragrans âÂÂCinthoâÂÂ.

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

I followed the link on Hank's reply, and here's what I think. The pic of the "chinco" variety looked just like a regular fragrans chronically underwatered. In other words, a fragrans that never gets enough water will develop leaves that curl under along the length of the leaf, which will produce leaves that appear narrow, with extremely narrowed lower part where they emerge from the stem. Now, there may well be a cultivar named chinco, or whatever, and it may indeed have more narrow leaves than normal, but until I actually see specifics from the actual grower, I remain unconvinced.

• hankeat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yesterday I went to another home improvement store where I saw Dracaena fragrans âÂÂCinthoâ and Dracaena fragrans "Massangeana" at the same spot. I compared both of them. Their differences are:

1. The growth form of D. "Cintho" is like D. "Gold Coast" and D. "Yellow Coast."
    2. The feature of D. "Cintho" leaves. They look like having petioles.
    3. D. "Cintho" leaves are somewhat shorter, narrower, more delicate and have slightly wavy edge like D. "Gold Coast" and D. "Yellow Coast."

However I have just proved that the plant in my photo isn't D. "Cintho". Probably tomorrow I will visit the home improvement store where I took my photo for further examination.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

If D. "Cintho" leaves look like they have petioles then mine isn't the same. It's always difficult with varieties. Any differences are usually jumped on and cloned so nurseries can sell something no one else has. I checked all of mine and have 2 types. The tallest is 4 to 5 metres with a number of trunks/stems. The others are from cuttings someone gave me a year or so ago, so much smaller. I like the look of all of them, regardless of what their names might be. One of my other species of Dracaena is flowering now, the fragrance is really great. Other species are budding up, so it'll be their turn soon.

• hankeat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today I went to the store again and the Dracaena is gone. What a relief! As I saved 37,99â¬, but I saw a big variegated Dracaena that sold at 144,99â¬. Below is its photo. However I received a reply from my plant expert "pen-pal" who lives in the Netherlands. This is what he said:

'Massangeana' is a rather amorphous cultivar -nowadays we mean broad-leafed with a white stripe in the middle, but originally D. massangeana was described as a species from the Belgian Congo. I assume it was originally not variegated but this trait later became associated with the name. Unfortunately the original Belgian publication is rather obscure, I can't find a copy, but I assume it was distinguished from normal fragrans due to it's wider leaves and thicker stems.

The plant at the home improvement store looks like regular old Massangeana. The price is high for Dutch standards.

As far as I can tell, 'Cintho' is a new cultivar (or just a trademark?) exclusively marketed in Europe by Ammerlaan of the Netherlands. The trunks are grown in Costa Rica for 2-10 years then exported bare, the trunks are resprouted over here. It is not available in the USA. All places selling this plant in Europe and Russia buy it from Ammerlaan at the Dutch auction houses, or have it remarketed to them from the same source. I suspect it may be the medioaureovariegated form of one of the East African 'steudneri' forms of D. fragrans (and not a real steudneri), but it may just be a mutant (more petiolate and with clearer/more stable mid-stripe) sport of 'Massangeana'.

The leaf aspect is not a good characteristic - the difference in droopiness in your plant is likely environmental.