Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House Plant Problems

Posted by kongmingtao Shanghai, China (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 6:27

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right location so please move it if I'm wrong to post here. I have a few problem houseplants and I'm not sure what's wrong. I think there are a few problems....

In the lower left, you can see a scraggly mint. I have similar problems with basil. I have seen mint around the city and it is so full and the leaves are large and deep green.

Behind that is another plant (not sure what it is) and the leaves are very pale. They used to be very green but now they are mostly yellow.

In the back is a sor tof rubber-like plant where the new leaves are coming in small and yellow-red.

Finally in the lower right you see a water plant (arrow plant?) whose leaves are starting to become striped with yellow.

I have given them all fertilizer (teal colored balls that are just NPK) and water fairly regularly. Any ideas?

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/543351_546343167123_37200020_30933017_193423936_n.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House Plant Problems

Your pic:

o
RE: House Plant Problems

Hello,

Mint does better outdoors, but can be grown inside, too. It need a lot of light and fresh, circulating air.
If the window is low light, and the air dry/stuffy, mint and other herbs grow spindly and/or acquire insects.

You said you see mint all over the city..Do you mean outdoors?
Plants looke their best when grown outdoors, especially herbs like mint and basil.

The plant next to the mint looks like Aglaonema/Chinese Evergreen. Not a positive ID.

Aglaonemas should not be in the same window as mint. Mint needs bright/direct sun, Aglaonemas do best in bright, in-direct sun.
Which direction does your window face?
It's either too sunny for Aglaonema, 'which would fade leaves,' or too shady for mint.

Aglaonema soil needs to dry a little between waterings, especially during winter or rainy days. The top of soil should feel a little dry..Soil should never be muddy.

Ficus, Rubber Tree. The reason your leaves are growing small is your plant isn't getting enough sun. Ficus need a lot of light.

Syngonium. I can't see any yellow...perhaps it's variegated? If leaves turn totally yellow, it could be over or under-watered.
Syngoniums shouldn't sit in shade. Many say they're low-light plants, but it's untrue. They need some light.

Fertilizing doesn't necessarily mean a plant will grow or be in perfect health. Fertilizing and light go together.

Hope this helps.

Purple, thanks for posting the picture. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here