Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khourshed

my not doing very great - Pachira

khourshed
9 years ago

My pachira is not doing very great in the form of dropping leaves and not very green

I noticed a lot of shooting from the base should I keep those pups or remove ?

{{gwi:85397}}

{{gwi:85398}}

Comments (10)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I, personally, would absolutely keep the leaves/branches that are sprouting from the base....that's like the Holy Grail of Pachira growing (getting additional budding on the lower trunk). It could be that the sunlight is striking the lower trunk and the plant is putting out growth where it can gather the most solar energy. If you're adventurous, you might even consider whacking those tall trunks down considerably, which will encourage a more compact, bushy form.

As for the yellowing, I find that lower/older leaves will often drop this time of year as the plant kicks into growth mode....dropping the older leaves to be replaced by newer leaves. Of course, I have to ask if you are fertilizing? Consistent fertilizer will allow the plant to hold onto those older leaves for as long as possible (although they will fall eventually in time).

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    9 years ago

Kh. I like your braided Pachira.

If it were my tree, I'd remove side growth. If left to grow, new foliage will block braiding...a striking feature.
    Of course it's up to you. Opinions differ.

Pachira sometimes shed, especially during changing seasons...like dog, cat fur and birds molting.

Have you added, moved or changed care habits?
    What about fertilizer? Now that spring has arrived, a half-strength dose should be applied. A fertilizer that contains minerals, if possible.

Except for a few yellow leaves, foliage looks very green to me. Quite healthy.

I personally do not think you have anything to worry over, but checking for insects never hurts. Especially mites.
    If your plant is pest-free, fertilize.

Pachira leave also yellow when over or under-watered.

Good luck, Toni

• khourshed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Toni, thanks for your very positive input you make my day

i think i read it before to remove the side growth but i want to be sure ( what to do with the removed side grwoth? can i re-plant or something?)

can i use citrus fertilizer I have liquid around ?
    Khourshed

9 years ago

Perhaps you missed my response....

Josh

9 years ago

....unless my comments are unwelcome here?

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    9 years ago

KH, you're welcome.

BTW, the room is so nice, roomy and bright.

I didn't see Josh's comment, 'above mine,' so he can answer your question about whacking and rooting.

I've never rooted Pachira, and only advise about matters I've done working on my own plants..You know?

I fertilize Pachiras with Fish Emulsion. Do you have other fertilizers? Besides citrus.

Josh, I didn't see your comment, sorry.

• khourshed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh

wow how come i totally over looked your response

I am sure it was not their when i did my first reply although it does show your response was the first ðÂÂÂ

Back to the topic No i do not fertilize routinely as per my reading it is a type of plant that require little or almost no fertilizer
    I have chicken organic fertilizer in the form of pellet i got a miracle grow type of fertilizer the one come in 4 bags blue in color / crystal form

Khourshed

9 years ago

Hey!

Well, I would use the miracle grow type fertilizer, but reduce the strength to 1/2 the recommended dose. Start light, then increase as the growing season comes on.

Pachira plants certainly do require fertilizer, or else their leaves yellow and the growth becomes weak/stunted.

Josh

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

@greenman28 >> If you're adventurous, you might even consider whacking
    >> those tall trunks down considerably, which will encourage a more
    >> compact, bushy form.

Amazing. All this time I thought I had an odd schef. If I lop stems off, how would the plant recover from that point? From the trunk sides? Can the cut off stubs be rooted? Layered? It might be clear that I have no idea about this plant.

>> Pachira leave also yellow when over or under-watered.

I've never fertilized and have been flood watering once a week or so in a small (probably undersized) pot and the plant never changes. It's like Dorian Grey's portrait, forever fixed in time.

9 years ago

Yours looks great, Cold Weather. If you begin supplying fertilizer, I'm sure that you'll see a difference....of course, the plant could be limited by the available room for roots, which would require a re-potting to really get the most out of the introduction of nutrients.

Hard pruning is best done in the Summer on these plants so that the plant is in active growth mode. If healthy, even bare stems will quickly backbud and make new growth.

The cuttings can certainly be rooted and grown into plants. After whacking the top off of my Pachira, I stuck the top into a container....and here it is today. I will re-pot this plant and give it to my brother later this Summer.

Josh