Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of plant is this? Dieffenbachia?

Posted by npio none (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 8:29

I've had this plant for over 2.5 years and often wondered what it was. After much procrastination, here we are. The closest pictures I could find were dieffenbachia, but if so, why are the stems curling? The main stem stood upright for a long time but it has since fallen over though the stem still seems sturdy. Thank you for any information as I would like to keep it happy and healthy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of plant is this? Dieffenbachia?

yes it is 👍

they do love bright light which is well provided as per you photo
i saw people support them with sticks to keep them upright !

o

Dieffenbachia. Rotating the pot often can help keep it upright. When plants do not have wind blowing on them, their stems/trunks can be less sturdy. If you try to straighten these, they might break, I would probably cut them off near the soil line and use the pretty tips for cuttings. New growth should also come from the stumps.

o

• Posted by npio none (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 23:00

Thank you! If I were to cut it, I've read that there are several ways to grow the cuttings such as replanting in moist soil, placing in water, or even laying horizontally atop moist soil. Which way seems to be most effective?

o

Each of those methods has ardent proponents. Looks like you have enough material to try any/all that sound like fun to you. (Just keep track of which end is which, if trying any pieces of naked stem with no leaves.) Do you need a dozen new plants? Probably not, but you might use them to trade for other plants, or give as gifts. I usually just stick cuttings back in the pot with the mama, which I consider most effective, but at some point, it'll be too full. Then you can go to a bigger pot, or separate some to separate pots.

Has this plant had a change of soil since you've had it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here