Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena Janet Craig new stalk

Posted by Jason_Doyle none (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 8:54

I was given what I believe is a Dracaena Janet Craig as a moving out present from my mother when I was 17 years old. I'm now 42 which means I've managed to keep this plant alive for 25 years. I'll have to admit, I haven't exactly been the best parent, but it has survived many moves and needless to say, it has a certain sentimental value to me. The plant grew to about 5 feet tall and eventually, the stalk was too thin to support the weight of it's large upper leaves. I eventually began supporting it with long wooden sticks tied loosely with string but eventually there still wasn't enough support. Luckily, about 2 years ago, a new sprout at the base of the stalk began to grow and is now nearly 8 inches tall with six good sized leaves on it. Since the main stalk was now bowing over under it's own weight I decided to cut the main stalk off and start anew with the smaller sprout at the base.

My questions are now:

1) Do you think it will survive?

2) Is there anything special I can do to ensure it does survive?

3) I have another Dracaena Janet Craig that I've had for nearly as long, (about 18 years), and it is beginning to suffer the same fate, however no new sprout has begun at the base. Is there a way to force it to sprout a new stalk? (this is really my main question)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena Janet Craig new stalk

you can cut the old stalk and new leaves will soon sprout out of the cut end.sometimes you may even get two or three new sprouts off of one old stalk!

o
RE: Dracaena Janet Craig new growth

A new growth (after about twenty years) has come about at the top of my plant. At first we thought it was a new flower(?) but it just kept growing up and up, and it seems to be some seed contained in a sac. Now there are many little sacs. We are concerned as to what it is and what we should do about it.
Can you please help us???

o
RE: Dracaena Janet Craig new stalk

I second cutting it back. Plus, you can divide the cut stalk in sections and reroot. That is, if you want a duplicate plant or once they're rooted, adding in the first pot to make compact.

This is the time of year Dracaenas flower. Before pruning back ID the sacs. Anyway, it's best to wait until spring.
Would you happen to have a pic of the sacs? Interesting..Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here