Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khourshed

recommendation: best fertilizer to carry home

khourshed
9 years ago

Hi,
i am from Saudi Arabia i am paying a visit to San Diego from their to Orlando then back home - two week visit

what is the best fertilizer to carry back home

Comments (13)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Everyone has an opinion about the best fertilizer, but I've read from a well-respected poster that Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 (made by Dyna Gro) is one of the best ones (if not the best).

I would make sure that you can carry fertilizer back with you to Saudi Arabia though.

Planto

• khourshed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto

thanks for your input i read it to some where in this forum any idea if walmart do sell it ?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Sure. :) I am not sure Wal-Mart carries it, but I believe Amazon does. Perhaps that is a place you could get it shipped to you in Saudi Arabia? Sorry, I don't know much about Amazon's policy on international shipping.

If you want to purchase while in the states, make sure that you can bring it on the plane. I don't know if you know, but people use fertilizer to make.. bombs, you don't want to get in trouble with customs trying to take fertilizer on a plane.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, May 13, 14 at 21:13

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Wal-mart in this area has ever carried Foliage pro but you might find this as an alternative

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

The goal for fertilizing containerized plants can easily be described. You should work toward ensuring that all the nutrients plants normally secure from the soil are in the soil solution at all times, in the ratio at which the plant actually uses the nutrients, and at a concentration high enough to ensure no deficiencies yet low enough to ensure the plant isn't impeded in its ability to take up water and the nutrients dissolved in water. This goal is easily achievable using one water soluble synthetic fertilizer. You CAN use organic forms of nutrition, like fish/seaweed emulsions or various types of meal, but that makes it much more difficult to achieve the goal.

The reasons I enthusiastically recommend Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 by Dyna-Gro are several, and all of them illustrate the thought that went into the development of that particular formulation.

A) Some plants use more nutrients than others, but sequoias, sunflowers, snapdragons, and sedum all use roughly the same RATIO of nutrients. After the calculations are completed for the way fertilizer ingredients are reported on the package, fertilizers with a 3:1:2 ratio (24-8-16, 12-4-8, 9-3-6) supply nutrients in almost exactly the ratio at which plants average usage.

B) It's a complete fertilizer. "COMPLETE" in fertilizer language simply means the fertilizer contains N, P, & K, but FP takes things a step further and includes ALL 13 of the nutrients plants normally derive from the soil and are essential to normal growth, while maintaining that favorable ratio for all nutrients. VERY FEW fertilizers include elements like Ca and Mg, let alone all the essential minor elements in a favorable ratio.

C) A fertilizer's source of nitrogen plays a part in determining growth characteristics. Many fertilizers used for houseplants use urea as a N source. Urea promotes coarse growth and long internodes. FP 9-3-6 derives about 1/3 of its N from ammoniacal sources, and 2/3 from nitrate sources. This helps to keep growth compact under the low light conditions we grow most of our houseplants in and helps reduce internode lengths, so plants aren't so rangy/ leggy.

D) Any fertilizer supplied in the same ratio as that at which the plant uses nutrients offers significant advantages. 1) You can keep o/a fertility levels much lower without experiencing deficiency symptoms, and 2) since the ratio of nutrients in the soil solution doesn't get badly skewed as it would with fertilizers that have inappropriate nutrient ratios, you can avoid the antagonistic deficiencies and high TDS/EC (roughly the salt concentration) levels that are almost inherent in those fertilizers with ratios not as appropriate.

Inappropriate nutrition is a critically key limitation. The areas where the average grower butts heads with the most significant limitations are A) the critical relationship between soil choice and watering habits, B) appropriate light, C) nutritional supplementation - which is absolutely necessary in container culture if you want plants to grow reasonably close to their innate potential.

I have no idea if you can transport a liquid fertilizer on a plane; and it's likely you won't find it anywhere but online or perhaps in a hydroponics store.

I hope you found the offering helpful. Good luck!

Al

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

I am pretty sure that you won't be able to bring fertilizer on a plane unfortunately. The airplane security would be worried about the explosion risk.

If you can't find the fertilizer you want in Saudi Arabia, your best bet might be to stop by the post office before you leave the USA and mail it to your home.

I use Dyna Gro Foliage Pro and it is a good fertilizer. What do you grow?

This post was edited by summersunshine on Wed, May 14, 14 at 0:22

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi!!!

I can tell you first hand that they will not allow fertilizer on board any aircraft. ( I work for a major airline) As far as they are concerned it is a hazardous material and it won't be allowed. Some people try and put it In there checked bags, but they ( TSA) will check your bags.. If you try and carry it on board, you will be stopped because of the liquids... Then they will see its a fertilizer.

Your best bet is to buy it here, then mail it like another poster said through FedEx or USPS. They will even ask what is in the box.. So, I would try and send it to yourself. When mailing any package at the post office they ask if it is hazardous material etc. so it's up to you what you say... I also would look into buying online as well... Remember even when mailing .. It's still in the cargo hold of a plane..

Good luck!!

I hope this helps.. I have seen lots of things going into the trash at check points.. It's sad.

Take care,

Laura

• khourshed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Al, sure it is very helpful

Thank all for your input. I am going back home with no souvenir for my plants

9 years ago

Hi Khourshed,

I'm sorry about this... But wanted to prevent you from buying something only to be taken away. I'm sure you can find something suitable in your home that will help. Great info from Al...

I hope you have a great vacation here in the states!!

Take care ,

Laura

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Laura, my wonderful friend, thanks for the heads up...It good to see what most of us do not know, enlightened and shared here with your experience..:-)

Hi Khourshed...Hope you has a wondeful time..
    I woudl order it online or through e-bay and see if you can get some..As expressed aboved, it's the best fertilizer I ever used.....Good luck.

MIke

9 years ago

Hi Mike!!!

Last time I was in Cali, I bought fertilizer without even thinking until the day I was to leave... I had to leave it behind.. It was good stuff!!! ;-)

It's just that people are not aware that its considered as " components ". And most of us are just wanting it for our own use..

I was still thinking about it today when I was going thru security this afternoon and I asked a " general " question about fertilizers.. They ( TSA) said that it is considered " HAZMAT" and it would be confiscated. They even said that some sets of golf clubs will trigger the machines because of them being used around the beautiful fertilized greens... The Nitrogen is the problem ....so any liquids in carry ons will not be allowed unless it fits into a quart size bag and is little things like shampoo, toothpaste. No gallon size Foliage Pro!!! ;-)

It is the best in my opinion as well...

It's always a pleasure to see you Mike!!! Thanks for the kind words..

Take care everyone!!!

Khourshed... Enjoy Cali!!! It's one of my favorite spots!! love San Diego!!!

La Jolla and Blacks beach are special spots too!! Have fun!!!

Laura

• blakrab Centex
    9 years ago

I don't know what the "best" fertilizer is...but one of the best that I've found thus far is Espoma Bulb-Tone. It is organic and particularly high in phosphorus (4-10-6) for good root growth. And because it's organic, I've used tons of it on many new plantings and it's NEVER burned any of them!!

Furthermore...it is easily available for only $8.47 at Walmart!

Adding phosphorus to soil low in available phosphorus promotes root growth and winter hardiness, stimulates tillering, and often hastens maturity.
    http://passel.unl.edu/pages/informationmodule.php?idinformationmodule=1130447043&topicorder=2

Here is a link that might be useful: Espoma 4-10-6 Bulb-Tone 4 Lbs

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Adding ANY element essential for growth should promote growth when that element is deficient; however, supplementation to the degree an excess of one or more elements necessary for the well-being of the plant is created has no potential to benefit the plant - unless it's being added specifically to alleviate the limitations imposed by an antagonistic deficiency. IOW, it doesn't follow that because a small amount of element A might be considered a good thing, more than a 'just right' level would be better. At any given time, there is a level of each nutrient essential for growth that represents the ideal. Exceeding that amount has only the potential to limit your plant, not improve growth rate/ health/ appearance.

Finally, ALL the nutrients listed as essential for normal growth are required for normal growth, and adding an excess of one can't cause the plant to grow or form roots at a rate greater than that at which the plant is genetically programmed, any more than adding more gas by filling up a reserve gas tank or the windshield washer fluid reservoir will make your car go faster. Plants use about 1/6 as much P as N, and best results can be had only if that ratio is reflected in how much P is available in the soil solution. Supplying P at rates sometimes as high as >20X what the plant can/will use will LIMIT root formation, growth, and vitality rather than stimulate any/all.

Generally it's K (potassium) most often touted as a critical 'player' in a plant's cold-hardiness, not P, but the truth is, environmental influences have far greater impact on a plant's ability to tolerate chill than nutritional influences.

Al

This post was edited by tapla on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 11:30

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner