Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeytoronto

Please help.

JoeyToronto
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I am a novice at caring for plants, but I love them in my apartment. I have a few plants which are doing well, except the one in the picture I've posted. I repotted and for months it has been looking like this..it's refusing to die so I need to help out. Anyone know what I need to do by looking at the plant? Please help! As you can see it's also spread apart.

Comments (11)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Joey,

Could you pls say what you feel is the problem here, I can't tell what the issue is from this pic. Your Schefflera looks pretty leafy, but what, droopy?

Perhaps another pic from the side, showing us the whole thing & its soil?

What's the mix made of pls. & do you have this in direct sun?

• christine1950
    10 years ago

It also looks like alot of plant in that pot, I agree with pirate girl, we need some better pictures. It looks nice & full & healthy to me, just that it needs to be re-potted? How long has it been in that same pot?

• JoeyToronto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another pic from the side, plant looks too spaced apart and the leaves are drooping and curved. I water it once a week. Last time I repotted it was a few months ago.

• JoeyToronto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another pic of the soil

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Thanks for reposting the new pic here. How did you find the roots when you repotted?

I'm not very experienced w/these plants, just have some growing in water in my office.

But there is one of these I'm caring for post-Hurricane in my building, I'm not sure the leaf spacing is much different than yours. Am hoping folks w/ more experience will come along.

It could be this mix, do you recall what kind of mix it is? It may hold water too long, hard to say.

As I asked before, what kind of light is it getting? I don't mean to grill you, but all of these questions yield relevant answers.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Your last pic says it all, I think, the soil.

• JoeyToronto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used Miracle Gro Soil..maybe I should repot it again? I'm facing East so it gets a lot of light through out the day. But when I looked for plants, I specifically looked for plants that said 'Low to High' light settings, and this was one of those plants. I don't think I repotted it correctly. To me it's hanging in there and needs TLC or else it would died a long time ago. I know nothing about plants.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Can you describe what you think went wrong with the repotting?

The soil looks really dry, although MG soil is known for holding extra moisture. A pic of the surface can be deceiving regarding the moisture level, but the pot is definitely filled with tiny particles that lodge against each other, filling all of the spaces so there is no air. Roots need air as well as water, so your plant may be kind of suffocating, needing more moisture to some parts, while the very bottom may be soggy.

When you water, do you add a certain amount? Does it ever come out of the hole in the bottom?

Don't panic, this is a tough plant and, since you're asking for help, it's probably going to live through this. It looks just fine at the moment. Scheff leaves are supposed to be kind of droopy like that.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

did you use potting mix or seed starting mix

• JoeyToronto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As mentioned above I used Miracle Gro potting soil, you use potting soil for house plants...my concern is the plant looks deformed...the leaves are supposed to be sprouted open and upwards not dropping downwards, the plant is supposed to be fuller.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of mine so it can be compared to yours, I transplanted mine last year and replaced almost all the soil and used extra perlite with my MG housplant potting mix, I also use MG plant food. Mine gets bright light. As I said eariler, I would re-pot. I hope she perks back up for you. I should have posted this pic with my other post because your's does not look that bad.
    Christine

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional