Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
privatenutbush_gw

Poinsettia from 2008 now 5 years old

Privatenutbush
10 years ago

I love this Poinsettia, it was a little 6inches when I repotted it right after Christmas 2008 and now its about 2 1/2 ft tall. It blooms a flower every now and then but has never gone full-on Christmas.

This post was edited by Privatenutbush on Fri, May 24, 13 at 9:55

Comments (9)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Well hi Private, welcome to Gardenweb! What an amazing plant, kudos to your skillz! I would love to hear more about how you care for it. Is it always inside?

Your Sans looks nice also. Who are the shy ones, on the left? Somebody's HUGE!

The burning question though... why do you hate blue so much? Ha!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Wow, that's an amazing looking poinsetta. I'm alittle jealous of you newbie. :P

Planto

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

that's a very handsome tree. I hate to chuck any plants, but my poinsettias after x-mas even with sunny window and careful watering collapse anyway. they all dry up and drop leaves no matter what I do!
    makes me wonder how you keep yours?
    I've seen poinsettia bushes in Hawaii - growing wild, and flaming red but quite sparse, since nobody prunes them. people just leave them by the roadside or near the fence and forget about them. but that's tropics for you. they also have reg. annual garden begonias as 3 foot hi bushes ;).

• Will07
    10 years ago

Wow your poinsettia looks amazing! I decided to try my hand at keeping a poinsettia. My mother bought one last year at Christmas and I have since cut it back and placed it outside. It is doing ok but definitely not as perky as yours! You say yours has never gone 'full-on Christmas'. I'm sure you have read about keeping poinsettias and getting them to 're-flower'. Maybe this fall you can try covering it with a garbage bag starting late September? It's an easy way of giving it darkness without moving it and don't worry as long as you remove the bag daily it won't suffocate the plant. Even if this does not work I would keep the plant because it looks very happy.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Very nicely shaped. Do you give it a haircut before taking it outside or how does it spend the summer? I'm always interested in how different 'setts are handled.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: My Poinsettia procedure

• Privatenutbush
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Everyone, I was hoping you would like it!! The original plant was in a little three inch pot and was about 6 inches tall. It was one of those tiny little guys that you would have on your work desk. By feb 1 it had one red leaf and two green ones and a long bare stem. Haha. I planted it intp a bigger pot and then did again every 14 months or so until its now in its 4th pot.

It needs loads of slightly filtered sunshine and loads of water, especially in the summer. If I let it dry out the leaves will drop. Good drainage too. its never out doors,been inside for the whole time.

I prune it back to shape it. if part of it shoots ahead of the rest I cut that part back, which has really kept it thick. And I love that it has the long bare trunk. Its because I started it from stem with just a few leaves on the top and then cut any shoots that tied to grow on the bottom 6 inches of the original plant.

Thanks everyone!! ;-) Here's a pic of my prize Sansevieria Its got two flower blooms on it now which is very exciting!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

It couldn't be prettier! If anyone tries to talk you into moving it outside for seaonal periods, I hope that you ignore the advice.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

Great Point! Love them as foliage plants too.

• HU-887667944
    2 years ago

That's a poinsettia. It's been growing all year, along with two other ones. Not sure what to do to make it pretty 😕

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm