Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with id

Posted by pkton z5WI (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 10:00

this plant came with the tag that says Aglaonema Commutatum which it could very well be. I have looked all over and have not been able to find another picture of one like it. Any help as to if it is labeled correctly or not would be appreciated! It's such a neat leaf!
Thanks,
Paula

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with id

That's pretty! Looks like an Alocasia to me.

o

Yes, very nice leaf, looks like Alocasia amazonica.

I didn't fare well trying to grow this indoors (mine went dormant, I thought it was dead). May you have better luck than I did!

o

Did you look up Aglaonema commutatum? Not even close, is it? It's a favorite houseplant, by the way. You should try to find one and add it to your home.

o

thanks for the information. I did look up the Aglaonema that's why I asked for help here! Hope I have good luck with this Alocasia, seems that they are a bit finicky.

o

Pk, although Alocasia's are beautiful plants, you're right, they are finicky.

The good news is A. Amazonica is easier keeping than other Alocasias.

Around autumn, (usually after flowering) and 'depending on conditions,' all leaves could die back. Don't fret, your Alo isn't dead, it's only dormant/sleeping. So don't toss in the trash.

While dormant, keep soil on the dry side, and withhold fertililzer. It could be a few weeks to a month before new leaves sprout.

Good luck, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here