Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What cultivar of Calathea is this?

Posted by plantomaniac08 8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 10:08

I just purchased this at a local greenhouse and would like an ID if possible. It's currently in bloom (added bonus) and the undersides of the leaves are green (not maroon as I'd expect).

photo 100_3958_zps85ee6ebe.jpg

Thanks!

Planto

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What cultivar of Calathea is this?

I think it is Calathea bella
and it needs high humidity

Saleh

o

Saleh,
I believe you're right, I looked up Calathea bella and the pictures look just like mine. Thanks! With respect to humidity, would a tray filled with water and rocks placed underneath the plant be sufficient?

Planto

o

That is a pretty C. bella

o

A pebble-tray will help with the humidity some,..yes.

Of course whenever I can manage to get my hands on such things like terrariums and wardian cases,plants that lust for humidity are very happy in them and it shows.

Meanwhile the pebble-tray will do. :)

o

I have 2 that look like this. One is very short and grows almost like a ground cover. The other is much taller. Whenever I buy Calatheas that's all there ever is on the label - "Calathea" and never a species or even variety. But they still look good whatever the name.

o

Tropic,
I agree with "they still look good whatever the name." :)

Planto

o

As far as the humidity question goes I move mine to the bathroom every now and then. For two or three days. Does just fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here