Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insect ID Please

Posted by davemichigan z 5/6 (SE Michigan) (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 10:27

Hi, do you know what kind of insect these are? I want to do some treatment, but I don't what they are. Are they white flies? But they don't see to fly at all.

They came from a gardenia bonsai that I was given, but now they seem to have spreaded to my African Violets.

Photobucket

The white stuffs on the front leaves are not there. They are just reflections because of the flash.

Many thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insect ID Please

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 9, 10 at 11:20

Whitefly. Safer's Insecticidal Soap or cold-pressed pure Neem Oil.

Al

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, May 9, 10 at 14:49

cast skins of aphids.

As OP said, the white spots don't fly. That rules out whiteflies.

Beyond that, aphids are *far* more likely.

o

Yes, they never fly. I tried different times but they just stay there. They don't even move.

Jean, I am reading up on aphids now. What do you mean by "cast skins?" You mean those are not the aphids themselves but are the skins that they dropped?

When I first saw some insects, I actually saw something bigger and are pinkish, sort of transparent looking things. They looked like they were eating the gardenia flower buds. Later they disappeared. Now I saw these white things on the leaves. By this description, does it sound like it matches aphids better?

I will try to see if I can take a macro photo tomorrow.

Wikipedia shows some pictures of aphids, but they are brown and not pink. It is hard to just their size either.

o

Yep (shed aphid skins). Insects shed their outer skins (exoskeletons) periodically in order to grow. Aphid skins are cast about like dirty laundry.

Aphids come in many colors, including pink. Wanna see? Just click on the link below.

Look for different aphid species in green, gray, black, brown, speckled, yellow, and other colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink aphids and a few cast skins

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here