Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID please!

Posted by paul_cronin MA (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 10:34

Hi!

I got a bargain at Lowe's a few weeks ago for $1.00 - I root pruned and divided into two plants, but I have no idea what it is. Any help with the ID from the foliage?

Thanks!
Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID please!

Schefflera elegantissima also known as False Aralia

o

that's it - thank you!

o

Used to be called Dizygotheca. You may find lots of info under that name too.

o

I still see that tagged as Dizygotheca or False Aralia. Haven't seen it as Schefllera (yet?)

Comes in a bronze kind of color too, my Mom used to grow it, nice plants.

I wouldn't divide it (personally) they look best when they're grown w/ several stems in a pot together.

o

Heythere, PG! I've not seen any plants for sale with new names, and don't want to. I hope Coleus will always be called Coleus, and Sedum will always be called Sedum.

I got 2 different ones of these recently, (Olympia, and really not sure which one of the others) tiny things with 3-4 plants in each pot. I separated them to use as "trees" in separate mini gardens, an operation none of the plants seemed to notice. Thought that was a pleasant surprise.

Yours might be different still from the 4 pictured at the link.

o

Wow, these called a Schefflera now?

I can't keep up!

o

Just wiki searched Schefflera and as it turns out...it's in the Araliaceae family. Never owned a FA to contrast/compare with but all the same from the pica I"ve seen thus far I woulda never guessed!

o

I've never seen these called Schefflera, only Dizygotheca elgantissima. I did a little research (like 3 mins) and I see that many in this family have been renamed under Schefflera, which is probably what happened to the Dizzy; however, many people want to reclassify the reclassifications based on molecular subtleties of which we shall forever (blessedly) remain ignorant.
I expect that this dear plant - which is, by the way, not the easiest of creatures to grow - will continue to be grown and marketed under the name Dizygotheca elgantissima.

o

Well said!

o

Dizygotheca was the last name that I knew it as but the name change was formally accepted back in 1989.

o

Someone sent me a private note professing disdain for name changes... paraphrased... "It will always be Coleus to me, not Solenostemon."

I couldn't reply due to that person's GW settings, but just wanted to say that there's no reason to worry about Solenostemon anymore (now that I finally learned how to spell it too) because it's now Plectranthus scutellarioides.

Marlie, it doesn't look like any growers/stores are going to ever use the new names. Like you, I hope they don't! Probably not much danger of that since hardly any places label the plants anyway. "Low light tropical" should be good to go forever! LOL!

I've said before, call any garden center and see if they have Plectranthus scutellarioides and I doubt you'll find any that do... But they all have plenty of Coleus!

o

I didnt know it was a schleffera either. Leaen something new everyday

o

Purple -
Absolutely! But you know, there has to be something to keep the botanists busy. It's a dying profession, apparently. I saw just the other day that universities have few botany classes, the number of people graduating in botany can be counted on a hand, and the particular university that was being discussed is closing its botany dept entirely. So maybe we should cut 'em a little slack.

o

Oh I love the botanists, and the work they're doing! I just see no need to change the names of plants according to the info they find, and in fact think it's more harmful than helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here