Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khourshed

bird of Paradise - Opinion (photos inside)

khourshed
11 years ago

is this setup of bird of Paradise is OK. Any chance i would see flowers?

It is sunny early morning and later afternoon

I water it daily with air condition water.

the soil drain very well.

i feed here every 2 week.

{{gwi:85926}}

{{gwi:85927}}

Comments (26)

• Johnsp
    11 years ago

You may need to provide more sun for flowering. They should receive at least 6 hours of direct sun/day. Flowers will appear during late fall and early winter if properly taken care of.

Scott

• Lamora
    11 years ago

I can't give advice, but I did want to say-- very nice setup you have there! If I did something like that, someone would most likely trip over them! (very narrow steps we have) But I love what you have done with them. :)
    Just wanted to let you know...

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Johnsp, here in Saudi Arabia we have nothing other than sun. I am afraid it would burn it. in the current setting sun reach here early morning and later after noon. Do think it is not enough !

Lamora, thanks for your comment really very useful and encouraging ;-)

• ronalawn82
    11 years ago

khourshed, I believe that there is enough light (as opposed to sunlight) to induce flowering. Here is a link to the subject. High temperatures might be a limiting factor.
    You might want to look at the composition of the fertilizer that you are using. The plant requires higher than usual levels of Potassium (K; or the third number) on the label.
    I am not sure of the flowering times in your area.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Khourshed. Beautiful setup.

How long has the Sprengeri/Asparagus Fern been planted around your Bird?

Birds need a LOT more light than Asparagus Fern. Harsh sun will burn fronds.
    AF prefers cooler temperature. Again, too much heat, fronds burn, and if air is dry, 'can' attract Spider Mites.

Sorry, I don't know anything about your climate. Do night temps drop? Is your area humid or dry? Toni

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

temperature here is very hot (i mean it really very very hot) and Humid. I treat here very well. She only get water from Air condition i.e not additives
    I am still waiting for the flowers
    here is update photo
    {{gwi:85929}}

{{gwi:85930}}

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, is this true since 90's and no flowers !
    sorry to say very depressing.
    Man if it flowers it will be big party cause all my relatives keep asking when it will flower ;-)

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

should i separate those leafs, I am having conjoined twins here ? is this a sign of flowering ?

{{gwi:85932}}

{{gwi:85934}}

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

The fused leaves are common. The plant does need to be fertilized regularly with a complete fertilizer with trace minerals, and should be allowed to go dry between waterings. They take 7-10 years before they flower for me. Usually they flower in winter after a long (6-8 weeks) dry period in fall. They are native to South Africa. Good luck.

• lotuslady_ca
    11 years ago

My bird of Paradise has not ever bloomed, and I recently noticed some white bugs on it, it is a house plant and is about 12ft. tall.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Lovely plant, and I love the pot with the asparagus growing with it. Nice.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

your plants are beautiful.

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@lotuslady_ca
    wow your plant is huge cannot believe with this size never bloomed
    really sad :-(

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Lotuslady..beautiful Bird.
    Love your sky-light, too..you're so lucky.

What type of white bugs are on your Bird? Do they fly or remain on leaves? Toni

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

some photos update !

i am getting more leafs here ;-)
    now we are moving to winter it will be shaded here majority of the day
    although the expert opinion is to ignore it but sorry guys i cannot i want my plant to bloom

{{gwi:85937}}

{{gwi:85939}}

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

I wish it would bloom for you, but the problem is that it needs FULL sun in the winter too.
    It will focus on just putting out leaves and that's it, but still very pretty and yours certainly is.

You might get lucky with patience and see it flower in the summer like mine did. I hardly ever fertilize it, and in fact, it is one of the most ignored plants I have.

Good luck!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

K...wonder if Birds bloom a certain time of year??

Mike, can't recall you posting your Bird in bloom...did you?
    Which species do you have? Toni

• cowgurl160
    11 years ago

@khourshed - Just wanted to comment that I love your Croton in the back of your pictures! I have one but it looks nowhere near as nice as yours!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Toni..Oops, I forgot lol

Here is a link that connects you to my plant in picture.
    Mine blooms what seems to be just about all year long. It has only been out of bloom for 3 months.

What species? Now, you know me Toni, that half my plants do not even have labels.

Mike:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: My 'bird of paradise' in bloom

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Mike, I swear, I'm losing it..I even commented on the other thread..lol

Your Bird flowers are amazing..and long-lasting. What size is its pot? Maybe I asked before.

BTW, your bird is S.Reginae.

Both my Birds needed repotting..they should have been placed in a larger container 3 yrs ago.
    Anyway, I'm running out of soils/soil-less, etc. I'm NOT going to tell you the soil used to repot both Birds a couple weeks back..lol.

I'd be happy with one bloom...

• juliebees2009
    11 years ago

I also watered the same as khourshed and my gardener told me the light colored stucco on the house is making some of my plants to hot so he moved them around back and there doing better that could b a thought for anyone with brick or any heat drawing siding on your home. I also have tall ceilings and my son hates it when i bring in my house plants....its really his home i live with him. We live in the southern part of the USA and it does get hot here. The tall tops have to be moved around due to the winter heat also and everyone knows hot air rises so you know what I am doing most of the winter but to look at the snow if we ever get any ad sometimes we do its beautiful. Even my son admitted it. I am disabled due to a stupid driver running over me and I was a stay home mom and guess what no SS- social security and ex will not help so I thank God my son is able to take care of him and we don't argue I did not want to give anyone that impression I am elderly and when I am gone he can give them all away but one lol. ( private joke)

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@cowgurl160
    i bought the Croton as indoor plant but i found it is an outdoor plant. it loves the sun and OK with the very hot weather of Saudi Arabia ! BTW i water it every day.

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Guys and Gals is it happening ?

{{gwi:85940}}

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

YES, YES, YES, it is! Happy flowering for you and I hope you share with us when it does. That is a true bud! Yahoo

Mike:-)

• khourshed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@mike

i cannot believe it is happening!

sure i will ;-)