Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confederate Jasmine "Madison" as houseplant?

Posted by wendync 7b (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 10:42

Hey guys,

So my husband and I were at Lowes yesterday and I was checking out the plants outdoors and walked into this cloud of wonderful scents. I looked around and saw all the Jasmines and Honeysuckles. Sitting there were several Conderate Jasmine "Madison" plants, with tons of flowers. I bought one.

I was curious as to if this plant would flower and do well in my sunroom so I could have that fragrance in my house! I would only do this if I thought it would do well and not just suffer and flower poorly in there.

The sunroom has an eastern exposure on one side and a southern exposure on the other, however, there are our woods that occlude the sun a bit during different times of the day, so it gets a filtered amount of direct sun.

If not, I can just place it out front near our walkway, which gets full sun just about all day. Info on this plant? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confederate Jasmine "Madison" as houseplant?

I have seen pictures of confederate jasmine used as a houseplant, though I've never tried one myself. I have them growing in my back yard in a very heavily shaded area, and they are still flowering, though not as vigorously as before the trees grew up around them. They only flower for 3 or 4 weeks in April or May, though, so don't expect that glorious scent to last.

o

I think that this plant, which isn't a jasmine at all, would merely languish inside a home.

o

I think Madison is supposed to be a more cold tolerant type. I’ve planted it outside twice and it died both times (Winter cold). I was thinking of growing it as a houseplant for a couple of years hoping a bigger plant would take the cold better. Haven’t tried it as a houseplant yet, so would love to hear if it would work. If you decide to plant it outside, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t like full sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google book result about trachelospermum jasminoides madison

o

I think that this plant, which isn't a jasmine at all, would merely languish inside a home.

o

The fragrant forum would be your best bet for finding others doing this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here