Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to find pots/containers?

Posted by rosebacopa2 4MN (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 10:51

I have a number of succulents that I would like to put in potted arrangements. Searched high and low for low containers and decided to order things on line..

Does anyone have experience with companies that have low shallow pots in various sizes??
Thanks so much!
Lynn in Minnesota

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to find pots/containers?

Rose. I too was looking for shallow pots..I found some on Ebay and Amazon, but some are Orchid pots...But no side slits. Good luck, Toni

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 16, 11 at 16:32

Lynn - bonsai pots make good shallow containers for succulents, and I often use terra cotta saucers:
Photobucket
Photobucket

with a couple of holes drilled in the bottom (easy in terra cotta).

Tip to remember: it's much more important that you use a coarse soil in shallow containers than in deeper ones because a higher % of soil will remain saturated. If you were to use heavy soils like Miracle-Gro and others similar in the shallow containers pictured, the soil would be 100% saturated after a thorough watering or a heavy rain - not a good situation where succulents are concerned.

Try shopping these links (copy/paste to your browser) for shallow containers in various sizes & price ranges:

http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/bonsai_pot_index.html

http://www.weetree.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=4

AL

o

Have found some ceramic pots (similar to bonsai style) at Lowes next to their selection of succulents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here