Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
i_love_flowers

Oxalis/purple shamrock

i_love_flowers
12 years ago

I have a purple shamrock that I bring in in the Winter and recently I noticed that it was looking really bad so I took a closer look. It looks like it might have powdery mildew but I'm not sure. Everything I've read so far make it sound like the mildew should be on top of the leaves. My plant has white powdery circles on the underside of the leaves and the top of the leaves have dark brown/black dried up spots...sort of looks like blight spots. Does this still sound like powdery mildew and what should I use to get rid of it? I have already taken off lots of infected leaves but almost the whole plant is infected so that would leave almost no leaves. Should I just cut the whole thing back and let it start over. Help please!

Thanks

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

A picture would be helpful.

But, I can tell you what I would do if this were my plant. I'd absolutely cut it all the way back to the soil level and allow it to dry out and go dormant for a few weeks.

When it is ready to be placed outside again, give it a good drenching and plenty of light and it will likely regrow with good vigor. No promises, though, since we don't know what the problem was in the first place.

• i_love_flowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not sure how to post pictures on here. Do I need to use the link below? I think I will probably cut it completely back and start over. Hopefully it will come back healthy as I really like this plant. Thanks for your reply

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

To post pix here, you need to pls. use a photohosting site like Photobucket or Flicker (both of which are free).

After uploading your pix there first, then from there, you can upload them to here. I use Photobucket.com so I'll speak to that. From there, you'll need the third line of code (I believe it's the one for HTML), copy & paste that code in here once you've started a post. It'll look like gibberish until you look in the Preview, which if done correctly, will result in you seeing the pic, if not, try again.