Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Any Ideas what this is?

puglvr1
12 years ago

I was given a few flower seeds last fall...I have the worst luck getting seeds to grow (99%) failure most of the time :o( So I don't remember the name thinking it wasn't going to make it anyways...so imagine my surprise when this one grew! Now, I have NO idea what it is...all I know is its some type of flower? I grow it under some palm trees since it loves water and wilts very easily if its in any direct sun...Any ideas?

Thanks!!

{{gwi:85977}}

Comments (9)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hi Pug..Could it be a Brugmansia or Datura? Are the leaves velvety? Toni

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Hi Pug!
    Congrats on your seedling, now if you can find out what it is. ;-) Great looking plant!

I grow Datura's and it just doesn't quite look like one, but I can't say for sure.

Datura love sun and are drought tolerant. The leaves are velvety and slightly more lobed than yours.

Mine come back on their own, no help or water from me for the entire season, and grow in full sun.

"Most species are suited to being planted outside or in containers. As a rule, they need warm, sunny places and soil that will keep their roots dry"

Be sure and keep it away from Max until you do find out what it is. Datura (aka Devils trupit) is toxic! It will be obvious when it blooms if it is a Datura.

Brugmansia is in the same family. Leaves will be covered with fine hairs. Also very Toxic!

So...
    Give that handsome little devil a big hug from me, and keep him away from the plant until you know for sure. :-)

I hope you get a definite name soon!
    JoJo

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Toni and Jojo!!

You know, now that you both mention it...Datura sounds a little familiar. I know she mentioned that name I think? But the full sun part doesn't apply with this one...Its just out of the several seeds she sent this is the only one that survived,lol...

I just checked the leaves and its definitely NOT velvety...its smooth and no fuzz.

Thanks for the heads up on the poisonous part too...lucky for me Max isn't interested in any of my plants...although he eats everything else,lol...

Maybe, I will try and find the email from where the seeds came from and see if I can find out what it could be?

Thanks again and will let you guys know if I find out.

Nancy

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni, I think you solved it!! I'm pretty sure you're right...NOT Datura but I just googled Brugmansia. and I really think that's it!! By the looks of the pictures I saw I'm almost positive that's it!

What do you think Toni and Jojo? Check out the link I found and see if it looks like my picture?

Now I just have to wait and see what color it blooms...do you know if this has to be large before it will bloom?

Thank you both!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brugmansia

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

HI Pug!
    Sweet talk it into blooming like now! ROFL!

I have no Idea how long before it blooms. I think there is a forum here for Burgs. Maybe they would be able to help more.

It does look like a Burg. but they are described as having slightly hairy leaves.. So not sure what to tell you on that. I haven't grown them.

Hoping for blooms soon! :-)

JoJo

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Yep... There is a forum...:-)

here you go..
    Good Luck!
    JoJo

Here is a link that might be useful: Brugmansia Forum

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Nancy, Datura and Brugmansia are related. Datura is called Devil's Trumpet, and Brugs are Angel's Trumpets. Don't know why..they're both poisonous.

Brugs grow tree-like, Datura's get yay high, then climb or creep.
    Datura's come in a few color flowers, but the most common is white. Brugs have a variety of colors, all pretty and huge. Peach, Lavendar, etc.

I am so sorry I planted one little Datura, in the 90's, sown from a seed started in a Dixie Cup..A retired man sowed seeds as a hobby. I paid .10 for a cup of a Datura seedling.
    Now, they grow everywhere..front, back, sides. It all started from one, little, dime plant..lol..

They take hours to pluck, and small terrible.
    Here's one that shaded our baby Coleus.

{{gwi:85979}}

Wish there was a way to rid each and everyone, but besides using chemicals, it's digging. Toni

Here's a pic taken last year..it was raining for days..this Datura outgrew my baby Coleus.

Nancy, do you remember what the seeds look like? Toni

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link Jojo...will update "if" it blooms! Now I'm more confused than ever...it definitely has smooth leaves.

Hi Toni, Oh boy...I didn't know they are invasive,lol...so I'm guessing they can take freezes? Well, I will grow mine in a pot and see what happens. Yours is very pretty...hard to believe from one 10 cents cup,lol...Yours looks like my plant...very close if not identical. Maybe it won't be invasive if I don't let the seed pod matures...pluck it before it ripens?

Thanks for the picture!

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Nancy..Datura flowers open at night and/or cloudy days..they're so white, they glow...
    Flowers are slightly fragrant, but I don't care for their smell..
    The leaves are also scented..When I pluck up babies, I can't stand the odor.

Oh yes, very very invasive. But I must admit, one or two Daturas isn't a problem...the flowers are beautiful. 200 is another thing..The only other invasive plant that grows here is Hummingbird Vine. They're everywhere..even finds its way to the middle of the yard..lol. Toni