Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well, Hallelujah!

Posted by elkay 6a (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 11:11

I had just about given up on propagating this ZZ plant, but yesterday I went to check if it needed water and...Low and Behold - a shoot! Hubby brought home two cutting from his office in July 2011. I planted the two cuttings and, just for fun, thought I'd try to grow a plant from a couple of the leaves.

Man, I thought cactus plants were slow growers, but this ZZ takes the cake! Took 22 MONTHS!

photo ZZshoot.jpg

photo ZZshoot2.jpg

P.S. The 2 stem cuttings have still done nothing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well, Hallelujah!

I heard propagating ZZ tests the patience of all gardeners. I don't think I would be able to do it.

o

Yippee! Congratulations. I have two leaves thinking about sprouting...I'm not going to hold my breath but I'll sure be excited if it happens.

o

Wow! I knew it was slow, but had no idea. You have more patience than I do.

o

I would not have the patience to root zz plant cuttings. I would toss them after a month

o

Ooh, I have a ZZ (or zizi, as my brother calls them) story. I was caring for some in an office, and someone had broken a couple of the stems off. They were long, you know, mature, and I thought it was a shame just to throw them away, so I took them home and put them in vase of water in my bathroom. Long story short, in a couple of months, the dang things sprouted roots! You could have knocked me over with a palm frond. Anyway I planted them, and they grew beautifully until I let them freeze winter before last. (Sigh.)

o

Curious if that leaf has unfurled yet?

o

Me to. Can you post a new photo please elkay

o

Ok, here ya go! Here's what it looks like as of 5 minutes ago. I guess they open up in sets of two. Now.............I wonder how long the next set will take to appear.

photo ZZsprout.jpg

o

leaf cuttings with modified roots can tolerate direct sun with high humidity. Mine are getting unobstructed light and afternoon shade, and new leaves started peeking one by one after 3-4 months.
but of course I live in the more tropical country.

o

Those new leaves look so nice. I hope your ZZ baby lives a long and healthy life :)

o

To take the patience out of the equation, simply root cuttings of super slow plants, such as zz's, into the pot of a larger plant, preferably one that's bushy enough to hide them...then just forget em.

I find they root faster this way too, a larger pot, with a healthy plant is a more stable environment than a small pot is, and it saves space too!

I do it with cuttings from tropicals to c&s and none seem to mind

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here