o
sunburned dracaena

Posted by teengardener1888 NY Albany 5a (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 11:18

can i help it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sunburned dracaena

I think so, teen you are so good with all your plants, what happened? This is one plant that doesnt like our NY sun :>( I'd just leave it alone for a few days, I know I dont have to tell you to keep it away from any sun light for now until it recovers. The way you love plants this one will recover with all your TLC.....

o

i didnt burn it, my mom put it outside to get sun after winter. i told her time and time again, dont touch without asking. does she listen................. NO!!!!!i!!!

o

Sorry that happened! Frustrating, no doubt, especially on a Drac. Only the leaves with visible burn spots should be damaged. I'd wait a few days to see what's what, then trim to suit your eye as necessary. Cold did a similar thing to one of mine a while back, luckily they're not ALL so sensitive (to either thing.)

o

Dracaenas can take full sun, but not a sudden shift from shade to sun. The damage will only be cosmetic and new leaves will soon replace the damaged ones.

o

Yes unfortunately you won't save those damaged leaves but I'd just let it grow on, esp the top leaf, and not trim that as it'll be more obvious right now.

o

Okay. Thanks for the help

o

As Tropicbreezent says, dark Dracaenas like this (it's a Janet Craig, right?) can adapt to high light but sudden change to bright light will do this, especially to the newest growth. Cut the damaged bits off (maybe use as an excuse to prune whole heads off?) and it will recover.

We had a beautiful one in a client's office that was moved from shade to full sun and had to be binned because the whole of one side was ruined.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here