Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weird houseplant

Posted by teengardener1888 none (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 11:31

someone has given me the wierdest houseplant i ever seen. please help with identification. the link tinypic shows a photo from a friends phone of me holding the plant

Here is a link that might be useful: tinypic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weird houseplant

Hi teengardener,

It looks to me very like an Aspidistra, although the bit lying over your arm confuses me a bit, because I thought it might be a flowering shoot. Aspidistras flower on the soil under the plant and usually are a very muddy purple colour, not what you could call pretty.

o

I 'd like to see another picture. It looks more like one of the night blooming cacti. Epiphyllum oxypetalum is probably the most commonly grown as a house plant.

o

Picture is too small to really tell; but I agree with rhizo. Looks more like an epi than Aspidistra.

Linda

o

Possiby a fairly well beat up ZZ plant?

o

YES!!!!!!!!. THIS IS ZZ PLANT. I THOUGHT THAT IS WHAT IT IS BUT I DIDNT BELIEVE IT. THANK YOU riptidefrog.

o

Teen, are you talking about the pic w/a man holding a plant? When I clicked on your link, a man holding a plant is displayed.

If that's the pic, it doesn't look like ZZ to me. I agree w/Rhizo, it looks like Epiphyllum. lol. Toni

o

this is zz plant the leaves fell off he stalk.

o

I saw this last night & wondered about it myself. Tho' the pic is largely in shadow, take a look at the lower part of those stalks, fattened stalks did look to me like those thickened lower parts of their stalks which seem to act rather like water storage organs.

I missed it on the leaves, but did see it on the stems.

Fun plants, I have several of them (I started from leaves). They're almost indestructable except to overwatering.

Tho' somewhat unusual looking they are in the Aroid family & have blooms that look similar to those of Spathyphyllum (Peace Lily).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here