Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Earth Star flowering

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

Will they die after this? What could be done to save it?

{{gwi:86045}}

{{gwi:86046}}

Comments (7)

• auron22
    10 years ago

From my current knowledge, there are two possible outcomes in nature when bromeliads flower...
    1. They regularly send out flowers and they will not die afterwards. Queens tears is an example (I think?)
    2. It will die, but leave multiple "pups" in it's place. Silver vase....(I think? Again....)
    I'm not sure if it is possible for it to die and not leave pups, I've only heard if they are in bad conditions this COULD happen. Also, under special care, I think there is a way to prevent bromeliads from dying after the blooms are spent even if they naturally die afterwards. I would hate to misinform you, I would do some research, post in bromeliad forum, or wait for others more experienced to respond.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

HARD to find info online. Here is what i learned.

They flower then die.But usually they leave offsets. Cutting off the flowers is useless. Best to enjoy the flowers and the plant why they last. Does it already have pups

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Continue to give your Cryptanthus the good care and proper culture for a bromiliad that is native to the moist floors of the Brazilian rainforest. A container that is wider than tall is ideal for these plants.

Like most bromiliads, they only bloom once, then begin to decline. You should begin to see offsets form before too long, but some Cryptanthus aren't obliging. The offsets can be severed from the mother plant and given their own container.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Yes, rhizo is correct. I had a guzmania, a bromeliad. They flower once, die ,and leave offsets

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Update? :)

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Everytime I hear/read that phrase, I can't help but think of Boondocks Saints.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio