Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Praying Mantis

birdsnblooms
10 years ago

Howdy,

Thankfully, GW fixed the sign-in problem.

Anyway, has anyone raised Praying Mantis eggs?

If so, which type and what do they eat, 'as youngins'? How are eggs and babies cared for?

I checked Ebay only to discover there's more than one variety.

People are selling egg cases....what are cases used for and are they necessary? Hopefully, one case, per mantis isn't needed. 200 eggs equals 200 cases? What? lol.

I hope someone can help. I'd like to place an order today. Thanks, Toni

Comments (14)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hey, Toni! Just a regular ol' morning, shopping for bugs, huh? LOL! How cool is that?! Generally I think it's a great idea.

According to National Geographic, "Females regularly lay hundreds of eggs in a small case, and nymphs hatch looking much like tiny versions of their parents."

I think one egg case would be enough for a suburban-sized yard. Any kind that is indigenous to your area should be appropriate.

"Moths, crickets, grasshoppers, flies, and other insects are usually the unfortunate recipients of unwanted mantid attention. However, the insects will also eat others of their own kind." - Nat Geo also

In my limited understanding about such things, they are too big of a predator to be helpful with house-plant type pests like ants, aphids, spider mites, scale, mealy, etc... and might eat the bugs that would fit this niche. I may be on the wrong assumption about your goal...

10 years ago

Hey, Toni! Just a regular ol' morning, shopping for bugs, huh? LOL! How cool is that?! Generally I think it's a great idea.

According to National Geographic, "Females regularly lay hundreds of eggs in a small case, and nymphs hatch looking much like tiny versions of their parents."

I think one egg case would be enough for a suburban-sized yard. Any kind that is indigenous to your area should be appropriate.

"Moths, crickets, grasshoppers, flies, and other insects are usually the unfortunate recipients of unwanted mantid attention. However, the insects will also eat others of their own kind." - Nat Geo also

In my limited understanding about such things, they are too big of a predator to be helpful with house-plant type pests like ants, aphids, spider mites, scale, mealy, etc... and might eat the bugs that would fit this niche. I may be on the wrong assumption about your goal...

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey Purple,

Yeah, just a regular day, bug hunting.

So, PM's won't eat mealy? That's too bad.
    What about ants??

Adults may be too large to eat house plant pests, but what about when young, while growing? Baby mantis...

A friend phoned a while ago. She explained about cases. I thought cases were plastic containers meant to keep baby mantis. lol.

So, I don't have to buy 'x' amount of cases per baby mantis..whew! They're not plastic but a true part of the mantis.

Wait, I just noticed you listed ants as an insect mantis won't eat?
    According to the sellers, ants is a mantis' delight.. Are they trying to make a sale, lying?

I kinda, sorta feel bad about crickets and grasshoppers. They're no bother, and I love the sound crickets make while lying in bed. A comfort feeling.

Maybe you didn't see my other thread...I asked about Bayer systemic, etc.
    Anyway, after much, 'MUCH' thought, I really can't use poisons.
    That's where the mantis come in, or so I thought.

I heard they'd eat each other if enough food isn't supplied...too darn gross. Yuck!

Although I don't like the fact mantis eat insects like crickets, harsh chemicals will probably kill everything! :(

Well, Purp, thanks for your help..

I hope you're well, enjoyed the wkend. Did you get rain?

Tornados did so much damage the other day.
    I heard there were 27 within a 24-hour period..'don't know if the amont is right.'

Our basement flooded again. I think the city has problems. They'd best get their act together and fix the sewers. Darn taxes went up, but city work isn't being done.

Have a great day...think we're in for another storm..

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Im confused. You want mantises to control your insects???????? :-\

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Im confused. You want mantises to control your insects???????? :-\

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teen, yep. That's one reason..the second reason is they're cuties. lol.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teen, yes, that's the main reason. Another reason is they're so cute. :)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Im tired of this site glitching so much

10 years ago

Toni, I would encourage you to fire up the google and read about these guys. I don't know if they'll eat ants, or how long the babies might be small enough to find such small critters appetizing. My point was that something big enough to eat a cricket would have to work much harder catching the amount ants to fill them up, to equal the mass of a cricket. So they probably wouldn't spend their time that way, just a theory - but hey, people eat shrimp and call it a meal. I really don't know. Just don't want you to be disappointed with your results *if* these won't do what you need/want.

Anole lizards are supposed to eat ants, too, but although I've seen all sizes of them eat allll kinds of bugs, and seen the anoles sit in close proximity to an ant highway - a colony on the move, I've never ever seen one eat an ant. So what "they" say doesn't always hold true, at least every time, every yard. When an ant senses an invader, the whole colony may attack, for a lot of kinds of ants. It wouldn't be hard for a colony to overwhelm something the size of a PM or anole lizard. They probably know that they wouldn't get many before they'd have to run.

They (back to the PM's) are cute - and a really cool predator in the bug realm. I have the utmost respect for them!

Yes, I've read about the issues with pests. Doubt I could add any advice better or different than was already offered by the time I got to that discussion. I totally, completely sympathize, and wish I had the words of wisdom to make it all fine again!!!

Have you done research that leads you to believe PM is a good bug to introduce for a mealy or ant problem? I believe I would be considering purchasing some beneficials also in your situation. Learning what was best at doing the particular job I needed done is where I'd start my investigation.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Thu, May 30, 13 at 15:37

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Right you are Purple,

Pls. research about the result one needs Toni, not what the Seller says (yes OF COURSE they're trying to make a sale & maybe even lying to do so).

Toni have you heard about the 50/50% white vinegar/water wipe for the counters & any areas ants may wander? The bit I read said the vinegar disturbs the scent trails by which the ants navigate (maybe have read it on Yahoo, not guaranteed but maybe worth a shot).

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Toni, you really don't want the mantids in your house. The tiny little babes that swarm out of their egg case won't thrive in the home. They won't eat mealies. They'll probably pick each other off before they do much to ants in the house.

The other thing to think about is the species. The most commonly sold egg cases are that of the Chinese mantis, an alien species. They have been introduced all over the country, edging out our native species.

You'd have to do your homework in selecting a native species, because it would have to be one that will thrive in your climate.

I still think that a systemic insecticide, over the summer while the plants are outside, is your best option for the mealies. That, plus horticultural oil. I'd keep trying the Terro boric acid bait stations. They sure do work for me!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What's with all the double posts?
    GW is having problems. I tried signing in Mon and Tues. Got error messages, and one message asking if I was sure I wanted to go to.......... Strange.

Teen, why did you ask if I wanted PM to control insects?

Purple, several months ago, I Googled PM. Several sites suggested these cuties would rid bad insects, and healther for the environment.

I checked Ebay, but there weren't any eggs/cases available. Guess they weren't being sold because of the season.

Organic gardeners use beneficial insects instead of insecticides...besides ladybugs, mantis were mentioned.

And they are cute..:)

Can Anole's live inside? If not, our winters would kill them.
    What I was told about mantis, 'not from a seller,' is adults die but their eggs survive the cold.
    The woman I talked to on the phone this morning used to work in a plant store.
    She found two mantis at work, brought them home..she said, the following year they had babies galore..
    She lives in IL, too.

If mantis eat ants, they'll live happily ever after.
    The town is loaded w/ants. They're everywhere. For a while we didn't see many, 'walking Coco,' but since the temps increased, THEY'RE BACK!

There's all types of insects they can devour here.

Anyway, after browsing Ebay earlier, I found a seller that sends 2 or 3 cases and 100 free ladybugs. :) 9.99.

I started this post around 4pm. Dh came home, I had to make dinner, ate, washed dishes, fed Sparkle, Cricket and Coco...it's now 6:16pm. Sheesh.

Purp, even if PM don't do the job I expect, they're adorable to look at. And I'll be a proud mama.....

Hi Karen. Since Jan/Feb, I've gone through half a dozen gallon, vinegar containers..Heck, I even wash floors w/vinegar..lol.
    I clean kitchen counters, fridge, stove, bathrooms, computer screen and TV's w/vinegar. The entire house smells like salad. Dh hates it..lol. DS said it reminds him of a Chinese food dish he orders.

Yesterday, while watching a show on tv, there was a commercial about a book that's out..how to kill pests organically...that's not the name of the book...
    They displayed a 1-800 number on the bottom of the tv screen to order the book. If an order was placed within 10-mins of the commercial, a second book was included..how to rid larger pests like squirrels, rabbits, etc.
    During one scene, they showed a woman drawing a circle on the floor, using chalk, around a dog bowl.
    Ants won't walk past a line..Strange, huh?
    But, most of the info can be found online for free.

BTW, I started out using 50/50% vinegar and water, now I use it full strength.
    Vinegar kills ants on contact.

Rhizo. I won't keep a mantis inside...Some sites talk about keeping mantis as pets, lol, but unless they're fed properly, I can't imagine the poor little guys living long, let alone laying eggs.

About the species. There are three varieties sold on Ebay. Chinese, European and Carolina.

There might be others...

The company I ordered from is located in MN, but they order eggs..'by professionals,' lol.

Rhizo, Terro works great..every so often a stray ant walks across the floor.
    Since you use Terro baits, have you ever noticed deformed strays? They're disgusting! Some look like they have two heads..oh gross.

Seeing this ants is one reason I don't like using chemicals. Heck, seeing them sure doesn't make it easier.
    And they spray fresh food with similiar crap.

I've got the weather channel on..To those who live in AR and OK, please be safe.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Toni!!!

Some friends found these PM eggs in the woods and gave them to me.. I think you have seen my newly hatched babies? I don't know what type they are.. I just know they are all outside and I placed them all over my yard.

They are so cute!!!

I hope you can find an answer to the problem insects..

Good luck!!!

Here are a few pics..

Have a good night!!

Laura

{{gwi:86052}}
    {{gwi:86053}}
    {{gwi:86054}}
    The little baby was on my Kapalua Plumeria
    This is for you Toni!!! Enjoy!!!

{{gwi:86055}}

Laura

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Toni, the egg case of a Preying Mantis is called an ootheca. It looks like a plasticky lump and contains a number of eggs. And Rhizo is right about not bringing in alien ones. But a lot of people do keep them as pets. They won't eat ants. Not much will eat ants (Echidnas will). Amongst the many forums I'm on, one is an invertebrate one. It focusses on insects, spider, scorpions, millipedes, etc. This is a copy of their care sheet for mantids. It'll give you a bit of an idea of what's involved.

And below is a photo of one of the mantids at my place. Don't know the exact ID but it's a rainforest mantid, Hierodula species. (The care sheet isn't for these.)

MANTID CARE SHEET
    FOOD AND WATER:
    Food:
    Fruitflys
    Houseflies
    Green bottle flies
    Moths
    Crickets
    Cockroaches
    Small grasshoppers

SEXING

males

Males will be smaller, and with longer wings with 8 abdomen segments. They will also have longer and thicker antennae.

females

Females will be larger, and they will have slightly shorter wings and with 6 abdomen segments. There antennae will be shorter and thinner.

BREEDING

You can breed them 2-3 weeks after they have matured. Place the male into the femaleâÂÂs enclosure, a little away from her. He will take a while, but will eventually mate with her.
    separate them when the male comes off. The female will produce many ootheaca. (egg case) in the weeks to come the female will start to lay. The ooths will hatch 1-3months later depending on temp. feed the hatchlings fruit flies until larger prey is accepted.

OTHER INFO:

These mantids need to be housed separately.
    They prefer enclosures at least 2x as wide as the mantis and 3x as high.
    The roof should be mesh or something like it for the mantis to hold onto.
    The mantis should have space to moult, so donâÂÂt fill the enclosure with leaves and sticks.
    Temp: The ideal temp is around 20.C - 28.C.
    Humidity: The ideal humidity is around 50-80%
    These species like mesh on the roof so they can sit on the roof and feel safe.
    The enclosure should not be too dry.
    These species doses not mind bright light.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting