Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shic_2006

lovely indoor fuchsia [images]

shic_2006
17 years ago

How wonderful! She is such a profuse bloomer. The plant is covered with "fairy tale"-ish flowers. The petals are purple with blue reflection. Each bloom resembles a tooth fairy with pink wings and a purple skirt.

{{gwi:86105}}
{{gwi:86106}}
{{gwi:86107}}
{{gwi:86108}}
{{gwi:86109}}

Comments (12)

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

Shic,

That's gorgeous! I love the color combination of the flowers and the way they hang down like drop earrings. Bought a huge hanging basket once a couple years back and hung it in our crabapple tree. Never did take cuttings to try them indoors though.

Billy Rae.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    17 years ago

That's a beauty! I just luv them but too hot, dry and windy here

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Go blue,

I had them and they are quite easy for me. They are heat tolerant and wind resistant. Your experience with these is almost certainly the result of a disease. "Phytophtrhora to Fuchsia" is like "measles to the Native Americans". These new world natives have zero immunity. The following post is from this site:

Quote - Fuchsias are Gondwanic. They occur in Mexico but birds probably brought them up from South America long before the two continents collided near the Ithsmus of Panama.

They have fine, wide-spreading (and rather greedy) roots which are not as susceptible to disease as those of many of their compatriots, but bear in mind that their resistence to Phytophthora is poor. Phytophtrhora didn't occur in the southern hemisphere until people inadvertantly brought it in. Many southern hemisphere natives have zero resistence to it.

This is why they can grow in Sacramento, California, in shade with lots of irrigation, despite temperatures in the 100s in the summer, but are almost hopeless in the southeastern USA. The Phyto kills them sometimes within hours.

I have heard from a few folks who claim that they can grow things from the southern hemisphere, because their coarse sandy soil is not particularly condusive to Phyto.

There is at least one heat-loving Fuchsia. Maybe a few of them, but most are native to cloud forest or rain-forest in cool, temperate climates. Fuchsia triphylla comes from the Caribbean and loves hot, humid weather. Most unusual for its kind. I have no idea if it is any more resistent to Phyto but I would guess that it probably is. It has been tried occassionally in the southeast.

It has minimal resistence to frost. It can be and sometimes is grown as an annual.

-end quote

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info, but it wouldn't last long here. May and June would be ok, but once august-oct it is death defying heat at 95+ and sun and dry etc and only down to maybe 70 at night, they just can't tolerate that.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    17 years ago

How lovely, shic! Do you keep this plant indoors all the time? Where does the window face? Congratulations on a lovely plant and great photos.

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Marguerite, yes, I keep it indoors all the time. It is in a east window. I heard these grow very well in Ireland. Is that true? Any pictures to share?

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now, they have sweet berries.

{{gwi:86110}}

• douglasray
    17 years ago

I'd like to grow fuchsias indoors year around. I was wondering if there are some varieties that do better indoors than others. Also, are there some fuchsias that do not get too big, not necessarity dwarf varieties. I just bought June bride and Dollar Princess. Will these do well indoors. Douglas

• lucy
    17 years ago

Google Fuchsiabonsailady.com, ("Kath" is her name) and ask away. She also (or used to anyhow) posts on the GW fuchsia forum.

• catankgirl
    16 years ago

I bought a very similar one at the drug store about a year ago on a whim, very inexpensive. I planted it outside (bay area, CA) and then let some wild tomato plants take it over last summer, completely covering it, they died back in the winter, and amazingly it's still fine with beautiful blooms this summer. I believe it was named a "diva rose," don't know if it's the same or not, but definately the same colors. Love your pics!

• snasxs
    16 years ago

{{gwi:86111}}

• trace00969
    16 years ago

oooohhhhhh, looks like a fuschia bonsai, I love it!! That is simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing......do you overwinter it every year?

Tracy