Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut flowers..

Posted by stephanie_k z5IL (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 12:32

I got some cut flowers from my grandson for Mother's Day. On the back of the leaves there where all these little bumps. At first I thought they were seeds but after looking I am sure they are insect eggs. Can anyone tell me for sure? If they are insect eggs, is there any chance they will hatch inside of my house? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut flowers..

Those are fern fronds, with spores on the back. Instead of making flowers, fern reproduce this way. You're in no danger of any invasion, unless you have potted plants nearby, a fern might sprout if that's possible from these cut leaves. No need to do anything but enjoy the bouquet until the flowers fade. Great grandson!!

o

That was what I was thinking but then the more I looked at the leaves I didn't think they really looked like a fern.

Thanks Purple

o

Those spore cases are immature and therefore cannot sprout and grow

o

As a confessed compulsive propagator I have to admit that I would try germinating the spore-culture just to see if I could do it...and THEN worry about what to do with a gazillion little ferns.

Unrepentant. :)

o

Ferns come in so many different forms than what I use to think (my minds always go to the boston fern) but they come in all shapes and sizes. I dont personally collect ferns, I think they're pretty boring plants that need too much humidity then I can give...but every summer I go on a family camping trip up the the mountains near Mt. Rainier in Washington state and I love looking at those spores on the back of ferns, they're just so cool looking. The patterns are just neat so I always take alot of pics of them...

sorry for the off topic, I always get these pointless thoughts LOL.

-FPT

o

Unless they were immature and therefore could not sprout and grow. :(

Who are we kidding?

I'd try anyway! LOL

o

The spores are popping open. What to do with them. Will they grow?

o

My first guess would be to do something like cutting it up and shaking it up in a handful of peat in a gallon ziplock or anything convenient and air tight. Get it moist and "burp" the container now and then but otherwise leave it alone and I bet something happens. :)

o

Aren't those the coolest looking things? One way to tell spores from insects(like scale) or insect eggs is that spores are symmetrical and arranged the same on each leaf, bugs just scatter their nasty selves every which way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here