Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird of Paradise repotting help.

Posted by pepibom none (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 12:57

Hi there,
I've read that Bird of Paradise like a somewhat root-bound pot situation. I have three separate plants in a 11 inch pot(two plants are about 2 1/2 foot tall and the third is about a foot tall). When I water my plant water runs out of the bottom really quickly and quite a bit of it, I lifted the pot and found a long thickish root stretching out from the botton draining hole. Time for a repot? Should I reduce the number of plants in the pot? Sort of a beginner here and not sure where to go. The plant looks healthy, except for new leaves that split as they are unfurling(while I have your attention..any ideas about that?)...I've posted a link to a few pictures of the plant and that root. I would really appreciate any ideas. Thank you.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii162/sabrosonics/IMGP3110.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii162/sabrosonics/IMGP3111.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii162/sabrosonics/IMGP3112.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird of Paradise repotting help.

Hi Pepi.
As for splitting leaves...it's normal. If your Bird was outdoors in strong winds, leaves split naturally.
Other than appearance, you have nothing to worry about. They don't heal, but won't harm your Bird either.

'Should I reduce the number of plants in the pot?'

I prefer fuller plants, so tend to keep more than one (of the same type) potted together.
It's a matter of opinion, really.

After looking at your pictures, your Bird is doing great. A very healthy specimen. IMO, the three look compact.

Have you ever repotted?
It's hard to say whether or not you should repot. You can always unpot to check roots..If roots are smothering, you should either increase pot size or divide.
But I wouldn't repot in a huge container, especially if you'd like to see blooms.
If your goal is more foliage, than increase pot size.

It's said, Birds that have 7 leaves and slighly rootbound are more likely to flower. More than one author has made this statement.
Of course, proper care, such as fertilizer, sun, air, is necessary, too.

Sorry, I really didn't answer your question, but again, it's a matter of opinion.
One other thing. It's best to fertilize Birds with an All Purpose Fertilize one month, then alternate with a Flowering Fertilize..throughout growing seasons.

When my Birds were young, they mainly were fertilized with All Purpose..now that they're larger, they get alternate feedings. 'when I think of it, lol,' Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here