Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone ID this plant?

Posted by jumby 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 13:03

looks like some sort of grass or palm to me. inherited this plant at work. was about to die in someone else's office so they gave it to me. no clue what it is. was near death so i repotted in some well draining soil. leaves are variegated. it constantly looks near death but is always poking up a nice new green leaf from the center but they quickly turn brown and dry. sharpie in pic for a size reference.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone ID this plant?

Sorry, but I believe that IS dead, I think it WAS a corn plant (some kind of Dracena?).

o

I too think it may be dead, a dead Dracaena reflexa perhaps, but the life in the stem continues to push out a small leaf, and because the rest of the stem is dead, the new leaf has no chance.

Strip the dead leaves off the stem and see if there is a change in the stem with respect to brown and shriveling and green and succulent. If you find some green succulent stem, cut the dead part off and try to root the rest in water.

o

it has been doing this since i got it months ago. it just keeps pushing out new leaves. only repotted it a few weeks ago. when i did i got rid of all the dead stems

o

Apparently not. Sorry, but I still say it's dead.

o

Looks like Dracaena Sanderiana.

Carefully bend the trunk. If it's dry/brittle, it's dead, if it bends w/o breaking, there's still life.

One thing about 'some' Dracaenas, they sometimes send up two or three new shoots. Not attached to mom's trunk...they can sprout anywhere in the pot.

For now, I'd remove dead leaves.

BTW, what size is the pot? It looks way too large for two small plants.
When my Dracaenas were that size, they were potted in 4-5" pots. As trunks and roots grew, they were repotted one to two sizes up.

Good luck, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here