Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with my Monstera?

Posted by ladyofengland (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 13:05

My hubby says it's taking over the house. I'm not sure what to do with it.

Add a pole and try to train it upwards.

The roots that hang over the pot, am i supposed to put them back in the soil in the pot?

Prune it?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with my Monstera?

What a great looking plant!

Tell your husband to mind his own business and leave the plant alone.

OK seriously all you need to do is get a few sturdy bamboo poles and tie them together and then stand it up in the pot and tie the plant to it. After that, any roots that reach the soil you can train to grow into it and they will provide water and nutrients to the upper portions of the vine. Don't chop anything off of it until you do this so you can see what you've got.

o

Thank you so much. I've never grown a plant so big before
and am so happy I didnt kill it. I told hubby he goes before my dear plant does. LOL This is a great forum where i often get much needed advice. Thanks again.

o

I LOVE your plant!!

If you show your hubby this pic, that may help you both feel better.

o

I feel better after looking at that.

...I always feel better after seeing a Purp post! :D

The thing about this place is that when you think maybe you are overdoing the collection a little bit,all you have to do is post here and someone with an EVEN LARGER collection will console you and let you know how much worse(better actually but don't tell the husband I said that,..ok?)it could be. :)

o

Yeah, "Honey, I'm fine, look at THESE WACKOS!" Ha! Your 2 plants are nowhere near taking up the house, you can still use that room. And just think of how much those giant leaves are helping to freshen your air and provide oxygen. Since you already own the plant, your hobby is free, except for a few pennies' worth of water, maybe a few dollars' worth of "dirt" once in a while. ...if you need more rationalizations, I'm full of 'em!

You might enjoy looking at some of the Monstera discussions (and pics) on the Aroid forum also, seems like it's the season for asking "what do I do with this thing?"

Just wish I could find one. Philodendron bipinnatifidum is as close as I've come so far.

o

It would be a shame to hack up that plant after all the effort it's gone to looking so fantastic. I really like the "jungle look".

o

Sometimes, folks train them around the ceiling on wires... although that may add to the "it's taking over!" feeling.

GB

o

Yeah, Purp, that's what I'm talkin' about. Pics and rationalizations.
Don't forget Enhances Creativity, Increases Productivity, and Smoothes Social Interactions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here