Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Gardenia?

Posted by greendale 6B (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 13:13

Hi, All:

I saw these in Home Depot today. The tag just says Gardenia without Variaty. It is truly hardy as the tag stated. 0F? Anybody had this before and how is your experience? I know I have to overwinter it in my location. But how low I actually can leave it outside as long as possible? I wanted to get one but just want your opinion first. DO you think I should get one? LOL...

Thanks a lot.

photo 20140502_014.jpg

photo 20140502_013.jpg

photo 20140502_015.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Gardenia?

There are some extremely cold hardy varieties but not sure this one is it. You can't always trust labels. One recently planted one sailed through the Winter of 2011-13 but got decimated by the last winter. Still, this plant, buried under 6-7 feet of snow and ice and multiple arctic vortexes, still has several green branches, and will probably survive. If I see the again this year, I will buy more than one! But the leaves in mine look a bit different, but according to the label (is listed as a frosthardy 'jasminoides').

o
RE: Hardy Gardenia?

I have heard there are a few varieties of gardenia that are hardy to zone 6. One of them is called Frost Proof.

Since gardenias can die very quickly and easily indoors, you might actually be better off trying to push your zone limits a bit and find a warmer micro-climate in your yard where it can overwinter. For example, you could try planting it close to your house's foundation in the warmest part of the yard with lots of mulch, or maybe overwinter it in your garage.

If you do try to overwinter it inside, my experience has been that the ideal for them is a combination of: cool temps, high humidity, and lots of light.

This post was edited by summersunshine on Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:04

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here