Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Fed Up! May Toss Plants

birdsnblooms
10 years ago

Howdy,

When it rains it pours!

During the last Midwest rain storm, our basement flooded.
In the process, our 2-3-yr-old washer kicked the bucket.

Dh phoned a local appliance company, which turned out, yet another disaster..repairman made washer worse! But, that's another story..
Had to buy a new washer, which was delivered about an hour ago..

Wed, May 1, temp was 89F degrees. A beautiful, sunny day. Great news, huh? I thought so.
So, high on energy from sunshine and warmth, I hauled out close to 100 plants.

Thurs...A.M. Woke to a freezing house, 'opened windows, Weds.'
Cloudy, dark, light drizzle..temps dropped in the 40's..
My energy level dropped from 10, '10 being most energetic,' to 1, '1 lowest energy possible, can't get any lower, syn deceased.'

Thurs A.M....I looked out back..there stood a squirrel, 'literally stood on his/her hind legs,' reaching for citrus fruit.
I hurried outside, 'squirrel took off fast,' found several fruit lying throughout the yard. Not to mention, citrus tipped over from squirrel/s plucking/nibbling fruits.
Picked up citrus trees, returned inside, closed windows.

Thurs P.M. Strong winds. There goes my plants.
Crazy Brookfield woman, out in freezing rain, lifting plants..Not that it mattered, 5 mins later they again fell.

Thurs night, around 10P.M.. Went upstairs to change from jeans and 'sweater' to pj's.
While donning into warm, cozy slippers, I turned my head towards plants.
What I saw looked like the ceiling was painted and white paint dripped on leaves.
I approached plants, found Every damn leaf filled, packed, covered in Mealy!

I was so disgusted, I felt like getting a large trash bag and tossing every plant away.

I took 10 deep breaths, then decided to sleep on the idea. Afterall, I was exhausted, and when one is tired, the world seems a lot worse than it is...right?

Fri A.M. Phone rang at 7:30..delivery people were on their way to drop off new washer.
It's now 11:51 A.M. I haven't been upstairs, yet, to check plants.
If mealy is as bad as they were last night, I just might toss every last plant.

I am FED UP!

After showering leaves, spraying w/Rubbing Alcohol, dealing with ants, I can't take the stress..And, this situation is stressful.

If plants are discarded, I will not replace them. Seriously.

I don't know why so many mealy appeared in a 24-hour period, but the entire ordeal is too much. It's out of my hands.

If it wasn't raining, not to mention, cold,, I'd bring mealy-infested plants out, in a semi-isolated area.
Although I dislike chemicals, last time I went shopping, I bought a bottle of insecticide..an off brand, but it's supposed to kill mealy,, etc.
Problem is, rain will wash off the poison.

Plants include: Hoyas, (20-25,) Purple Heart, Variegated Purple Heart, 4 Plectranthus, 2 Peperomias, TC, Spath, Palm, Gold Fish, Maid of Orleans, Jasmine.

Does anyone know how this happened? Reason/s so many mealy appeared in 24-hours?
Two windows were opened Weds. Could sudden high temps have something to do with it? Humidity?

I assumed these plants were under control. Boy, was I wrong!

Thanks for listening. Should I get the trash bags?

Toni

Comments (59)

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hopefulauthor,

I'm so sorry for your situation, I think we all know how it feels to have everything go wrong at once, atleast I do. But like other's have suggest, I would throw away the common, more easy to find plants and work on the more hard to find plants. I know how hard it is to get rid of mealies, but just a tiny breakout, I couldn't imagine a huge mass of mealies like that, I would not be a happy woman....

I just started my container gardening for my back porch just a month ago (spent a LOT of money on plants), and last week I found some of my plants where COVERED in aphids and scales, I actually thought at first that the stems where covered in seeds or something, til I took a closer look....I had no choice but to pull out the REALLY badly infected plants and treat the others....which I hate doing cause I get alot of praying mantis' and I don't want to harm them....I was so upset....some of those plants where expensive and I had to travel an hour and half out of town to find (I had my mind set on certain plants) and now I have to replace them.....I wanted to give up....but I'm giving it one more chance, after this then I'm done!!

Good luck
    -flowerpottipper

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    10 years ago

Toni, nothing I can suggest for mealy bugs but I just wanted to say that after reading your recap of the last few days -- *I* am annoyed for you!!!

How so very frustrating! I hope you find a solution, and STAT!

Grace

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    10 years ago

I have only had to deal with mealy bug once, and scale twice, and with both problems, this was my solution: we have a large patch of wild grass behind our tunnel, and I placed the infected plants there; they thrived in all weathers (summer of course, not winter) and six weeks later there wasn't a sign of a pest. You need long grass or vegetation of some sort for it to work, I think, so that predators will feel it safe to inspect the plants and scoff the pests. Now when I placed the plants there, it was an alternative to dumping them, which I couldn't bring myself to do.

Incidentally, Toni, the ants may in some way be responsible for all your plant pests - my gardening son told me they don't just farm greenfly, but other pests as well.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I had the same thought, Marguerite. I would put them all outside, and see what mother nature can do. Let the predators have a crack at it, and give the plants a chance to become more healthy, so their natural defenses can do whatever is possible. Any plants you still want by fall that are still infested, you can treat them safely outside before they come in. I've not had to use chems to treat a pest infestation but would if needed. Frost treatment sounds like a good last resort over tossing as well.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

you can always use indoor systemic - imidacloprid - it's safe to use on eatables. it has no smell either.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Toni,

Just wanted to send you some well wishes... I know how frustrated you must be. I hope that you have figured out the best way to deal with this problem that suits your needs.. Then the plants. You come first at this point in time and I can only hope that you are feeling better.

I agree about taking them outside.. Let Mother Nature work for you.. When I took all of my trees outside two weeks ago, I said that this was it, no more bringing them in and out like last year.

You take care of yourself and I hope this works itself out to benefit you and your beloved plants....

Take Care,

Laura

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hello to the many friends I have here first!

Toni, you know what I would do/:-)

I would toss any plants where they can hide. I know Palm is a great place for them to hide and a few others you mentioned.

What I do is grow plants that are easy to clean off, broad leafed ones, ones that allow you to easily detect a problem before it gets so bad.
    I would also grow plants in a way where they are not crowded, but allows free air flow between each plant.
    How much room do you have between each plant on your shelves and in your greenhouse?

Now, I am a firm believer in letting nature do it's thing and using organic sprays.
    But if they are not good enough for my hard to replace plants, chemical it is! The thing is I use them outside and before they come in for the fall at least 3 weeks prior, right around Labor Day.

Here is the thing, you can put them all outside for now, and may even notice a sharp improvement. But you will just bring Mealy back in the fall if you don't treat the problem just to be met with an explosion of them by the following spring.

I have always used Bayer Systemic for precautionary measures and I have never ever had a problem with Mealy because of this.
    Once I received a plant worth over 50 dollars this past winter and noticed Mealy on it within weeks surrounded by my other rare plants and I used Bayer on all of them.
    They were gone with a week.

I know how you feel about systemics in your home, so maybe treating them outside as I do might make all the difference before you toss out your babies:-)

So sorry to hear about your other problems. Our weather as been nothing shy of almost winter at night, 30's let us say, and 50's by day.
    All my plants are outside too and I am not about to lug them all back inside for possible light frosts even though they are all showing signs of stress.
    I hope and pray temps at night warm into the 50's by night soon so they can all function properly again.

I have yet to try a new method Toni on my houseplants even though it does a great job on my outdoors tree and shrubs. It's safe I think.
    Another option?
    How about trying an All Seasons Dormant Oil Spray?
    Does this method work on houseplants?
    It does wonders on every bad insect I know grown outdoors.
    Here read:-)

The first dormant oils were heavy and you couldn’t safely use them on actively growing plants or you could damage the foliage. Dormant oils were further refined to produce lighter-weight oils that can be applied during the growing season, without harm to many plants. When the term dormant oil is used now, it generally refers to the application timing, during the dormant season, rather than a type of oil.

Summer or All Season oils are a lighter version of dormant oil that could be applied to plants during the growing season. You still need to use caution when applying summer oil. Oil treated plants will burn in the hot sun and many plants can’t handle oil at all. But summer oil is now being combined with additional insecticides for even broader control with less possibility of plant damage.

Good luck and know I am thinking of you.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Sorry, double posted
    Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sun, May 5, 13 at 20:39

• Lamora
    10 years ago

Hey Toni, I am so sorry you are going through this crap. I can't imagin what you are going through. I only have maybe 30 plants now- (need a re-count) But if it needed to come down to me tossing any, I know what ones I would, unfortunatly, they are all my DH's-- go figure. But even with that it would be hard.

Please keep us updated on what you decide to do. It isn't worth the stress if it isn't fun anymore.

Good luck with what you do decide~~

Marjie

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Been gone for days. Whent to orlando. I hope you can fix your problem

• faerybutterflye
    10 years ago

Toni, I'm so annoyed & sad for you! I can tell by reading your threads on the forum that you deeply enjoy your plants (most of the time) & I really hope you can find a solution. Sounds like a lot of good advice you've gotten, I wish I had some, but I wanted to wish you good luck with the whole situtation.

• odyssey3
    10 years ago

Toni, we all have times like this. I'd offer you two pieces of advice: First, breathe! Second, think about how you'd feel a year from now, or five years from now, if you tossed everything in frustration.
    Hang in there!

• Lamora
    10 years ago

Toni? How are you doing now? I do hope things have settled down for you. Please let us know how you are doing. We all love you here~~ :)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Toni. Lamora is right. Please hang in there:)

• bellapietra
    10 years ago

Hi, Toni,
    I'm the gal you so kindly helped with plant suggestions for the top of my hutch a few weeks back.
    I wish I could help you now but others here know so much more than I do at this point.
    Just wanted to say I'm hoping you are finding a way out of this dilemma and it will soon be fast disappearing in your rear view mirror!

• bellapietra
    10 years ago

Sorry- Posted twice!

This post was edited by bellapietra on Mon, May 6, 13 at 15:37

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hi Toni,

I've lost entire collections of more than a hundred plants at a time before and it is heart wrenching. So far I keep snapping back though. I can understand being frustrated enough to want to pitch the whole sha-bang but something tells me that you will be back. Caring for plants is part of what makes us who we are,yaknow? :)

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello,

First, I want to thank Everyone for responding. I really love you guys. :)

Second. Thanks for the great advice.

Third. Thanks for the 'Good Luck/Wish you Luck' comments.

Now about plants.

Basically, it's my fault. I never should have bought so many plants. Problem is, I'd see a plant I liked and wanted one for myself. (without thinking ahead.)

In the past, soaking plants during winter months, and hauling plants outside in spring was enjoyable, but I no longer have the inclination or Energy.

For those of you who really know me, understand I have depression problems. So, a little issue goes a 'long' way.
    Another story though, not for GW.

I honestly believe the ant problem started because plants were set outside.
    Plants love the outdoors, they do great. But, once they're brought back inside, they're not alone.

For some reason, the ant population in our area is unbelievably high. Has been the last four/five years.

There are thousands of ants, 'literally,' congregating every 2-3 houses apart. Or were. Most people use insecticides. I'm starting to think the ants hike to our house attempting escape from poisons. lol.

Saturday we went shopping. I finally found a plug that fit the hole of our bath tub.
    I decided to test Hoyas 'hanging in bathroom window' by submerging in tub water.
    Water filled directly below pot rims.
    My God, ants were EVERYWHERE! They were climbing up the top of plastic hangers. In desperation, I sprayed using vinegar.
    4-inches pots.

BTW, I'm not afraid of ants, 'spider yes, but not ants,' but when there's hundreds, it's like a horror movie. Besides, who wants ants in their homes???

After an hour or so, I rechecked. Ants were crawling on the bath tub enamel or ceramic, whichever material a tub happens to be, and wall tiles. More vinegar.
    I swear, they seemed endless! How many ants can possibly fit in eight, four-inch pots???
    A paranoid thought entered my mind. 'Suppose Hoyas are potted in ANTS.' :) Weird, ain't it?

I'd never rid all my plants. Ever. But, I am going to reduce the number. 350-400 plants are way too many for one person to handle. I admit it.

For instance, who needs three Pachypodiums? Lamerai and geayi. The largest is too heavy, not to mention thorny. Two are still in the house. A third, one sowed from seed, will remain in my possession.

Also, who needs, 15? Crown of Thorns? My Crowns will be very difficult to part with.

Junk-men appear minutes after an item is set in the alley. Think these people have a sixth-sense.
    I plan on placing unwanted, 'not buggy' plants in the alley with a sign, 'Free Plants.'
    Plants with mealy will go in the trash. I refuse to give anyone, including garbage collecters buggy greens.

Wouldn't it be nice to go back in time? Reverse, like a VHS tape? Change, whatever sins made?

Anyway, thanks for the kind, helpful comments. I truly appreciate it.

PS. Mike. Will you please let me know which Bayer 'systemic' you use..an email will be fine.
    I Googled Bayer, but there's several types to choose from. I don't want to purchase the wrong type.
    Also, will it kill ANTS? :)

Toni

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello,

First, I want to thank Everyone for responding. I really love you guys. :)

Second. Thanks for the great advice.

Third. Thanks for the 'Good Luck/Wish you Luck' comments.

Now about plants.

Basically, it's my fault. I never should have bought so many plants. Problem is, I'd see a plant I liked and wanted one for myself. (without thinking ahead.)

In the past, soaking plants during winter months, and hauling plants outside in spring was enjoyable, but I no longer have the inclination or Energy.

For those of you who really know me, understand I have depression problems. So, a little issue goes a 'long' way.
    Another story though, not for GW.

I honestly believe the ant problem started because plants were set outside.
    Plants love the outdoors, they do great. But, once they're brought back inside, they're not alone.

For some reason, the ant population in our area is unbelievably high. Has been the last four/five years.

There are thousands of ants, 'literally,' congregating every 2-3 houses apart. Or were. Most people use insecticides. I'm starting to think the ants hike to our house attempting escape from poisons. lol.

Saturday we went shopping. I finally found a plug that fit the hole of our bath tub.
    I decided to test Hoyas 'hanging in bathroom window' by submerging in tub water.
    Water filled directly below pot rims.
    My God, ants were EVERYWHERE! They were climbing up the top of plastic hangers. In desperation, I sprayed using vinegar.
    4-inches pots.

BTW, I'm not afraid of ants, 'spider yes, but not ants,' but when there's hundreds, it's like a horror movie. Besides, who wants ants in their homes???

After an hour or so, I rechecked. Ants were crawling on the bath tub enamel or ceramic, whichever material a tub happens to be, and wall tiles. More vinegar.
    I swear, they seemed endless! How many ants can possibly fit in eight, four-inch pots???
    A paranoid thought entered my mind. 'Suppose Hoyas are potted in ANTS.' :) Weird, ain't it?

I'd never rid all my plants. Ever. But, I am going to reduce the number. 350-400 plants are way too many for one person to handle. I admit it.

For instance, who needs three Pachypodiums? Lamerai and geayi. The largest is too heavy, not to mention thorny. Two are still in the house. A third, one sowed from seed, will remain in my possession.

Also, who needs, 15? Crown of Thorns? My Crowns will be very difficult to part with.

Junk-men appear minutes after an item is set in the alley. Think these people have a sixth-sense.
    I plan on placing unwanted, 'not buggy' plants in the alley with a sign, 'Free Plants.'
    Plants with mealy will go in the trash. I refuse to give anyone, including garbage collecters buggy greens.

Wouldn't it be nice to go back in time? Reverse, like a VHS tape? Change, whatever sins made?

Anyway, thanks for the kind, helpful comments. I truly appreciate it.

PS. Mike. Will you please let me know which Bayer 'systemic' you use..an email will be fine.
    I Googled Bayer, but there's several types to choose from. I don't want to purchase the wrong type.
    Also, will it kill ANTS? :)

Toni

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

Sometimes the oak park conservatory will take donations of plants. Try giving them a call

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I knew there was something I liked about you Toni,..I suffer from depression as well and I can't tell you how many times I've had plants suffering because of it...I mean it's as simple as getting out of bed and watering them so why can't I move? UGH!!!

Drives me crazy sometimes.

SOOOOOOO good to see you here though. :)

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Danny. Fantastic idea.
    Garfield Park might accept plants, too. Thanks.

Hi Asleep. Sorry you suffer with depression. It's bad news.
    Getting your legs to move is tough, sometimes impossible.
    Like you, I've had plants suffer because of THAT mood.
    Docs say push yourself, while they push pills.
    What a farce and money-making scheme, right?
    Pills are 'sometimes' worse than the condition.

Do you believe mind over matter?

Thank you. I like you, too... :)
    When I'm AWOL, lol, there are two reasons. 1.Cleaning. 2. Depressed, to the point I can't talk..or think straight.

I pray you over-come depression. Hugs.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Nice to see you again

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Nice to see you again

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Oh I feel you about the doctors and all.

Like I reallly want to subject myself to some quack who's about to play hit and miss with my neurochemistry?!!!

HA!!!

I don't THINK so!!!

Meanwhile I muddle on and try my best to cope w/o meds that insurance WOULD cover but I'll be damned if I'm playing along....as I mentioned above. :)

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Can certainly understand your thoughts Toni but you left out one small part ..... Myself knowing that over coming the better parts of our past is difficult to over come brings a question.....

How do you avoid the next plant what ever that plant may be when you know it's in you to have it for your own enjoyment ?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hugs Toni :)

Thanks for your kind sentiment.

Oh and in regard to mind over matter,..If I don't mind then it don't matter,right? ;)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

mrlike.....just say NO! We should all strive for quality over quantity ; there is great satisfaction in that alone. Not the procuring.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

hopeful,
    I had ants in the apt sev years ago, I posted in the other thread, just realized it was "yours" from last year.
    I used bonide 'indoor systemic' - it's same as bayer.
    here's "bonide" on amazon with lots of good reviews.
    it works on ants. you need to kill them all. you need to treat all pots in the room where you got them.
    DE might be less expensive, but I just read about it, not tried.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Toni,
    I used to do yardwork for a retired psychiatrist who once told me that nobody comes by that degree without a reason(implying that the interest in "sanity" was inspired by the thought that something wasn't right with their own!).

The more I got to know her the more I suspected that she had a point...quite the ROOST of bats in the ole belfry,dontcha know! :)

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

hopeful,
    I just want to let you know that if you search African violet forum for Marathon - you'll get lots of info on it: it's indoor systemic that AV people use (AVs are strictly indoors, and some of them have hundreds under lights .. for years...and they use it regularly as preventive too).
    the one that I buy in my local shop that I recommended is also discussed (bonide). apparently, it's weaker.
    quote: the Bonide product is 0.22% imidacloprid , Marathon is 1.0%.
    the bayer product is formulated for outdoors obviously, being for trees/shrubs. it will also be proly stronger - after all trees have a lot of mass...
    so, if you're concerned with toxicity, indoor systemic is proly weaker and hence safer.
    it can be used on eatables too, but pets... better keep them out of treated room.
    in AV forum smbody mentioned that imidacloprid is a kind of synthetic Tabaco product. citrus people use it too: see citrus forum.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Toni,
    I think it's better for your health in more than one way, to keep the plants that fit that "quality" that Rhizo was referring to. I've had to part with certain plants due to not being able to/not wanting to (probably moreso, not wanting to), give them the "right conditions" to grow. I find that I enjoy the more "simple" plants that for example, if I forgot to water, they won't throw a fit and become disfigured in some manner or other.

I don't have as many as I did probably this time last year, but I'm also happier. Some days, you just don't feel like messing with your plants (I've had some of those days), it's nice to have one that will wait for you for when you feel like it (even if it is the next day). Almost sounds like I'm referring to a plastic plant here haha.

Planto

• KatherynIridaceae
    10 years ago

Eep! hatehatehaaaaate mealy bugs. cottony, icky, fluffy scale things! Bayer makes an all in one for roses and flowers (thats literally what its called) That does WONDERS for instant aphid death. (more like three days on a heavy infestation) might work for mealies. worth a shot if the plants mean a lot you.

• hexalm
    10 years ago

I can sympathize on so many levels. I imagine it's a lot like last year when I discovered two spotted spider mites on several plants, a handful of mealies on several more, and shortly after that some red spider mites on yet another plant. Something like half of everything new died.

I've definitely also been looking at reducing my number of plants and not purchasing them without forethought since then! Physical health issues mainly, but they can certainly sap my energy. I hate choosing, but at least many of my plants are only marginally successful experiments that we're probably doomed from the start.

Sorry to hear about your experience though, that's horrid...all the stress that kind of thing can induce is not something anyone with any health issues needs to have piled on!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morning,

Asleep. Wow, free advice. lol.
    Did she ever discuss tales with ex-patients?

Pet. I Googled and Wiki'd Marathon..are you sure of the spelling?
    I found a lot of racing information. lol.

Problems using Imidacloprid is its affect on bees, birds, aquatic life and dogs.

And,

According to Wikipedia, "A Study conducted on rats suggests that the neonicotinoids may adversely affect human health, especially the developing brain.[39]"

I don't know...chemcials are scary.. :)

Ironically, vinegar kills ants on contact. Yet, it's used to make salad dressing and other edibles.
    What's with that?? lol

After researching Bonide, I believe it's weaker, 'weaker doesn't necessarily mean safer,' than other insecticides. I don't think it kills ants.
    As long as there's ants, there's going to be mealy.

Planto..Yes, to be honest, ridding some plants will be better for my health, 'in more ways than one.' :) Although, truthfully, it won't be easy.

Yesterday I walked through the house, 'again,' trying to decide which plants to keep. Well, I mean to.
    I swear, it's very very difficult. Sheesh. I want them all. lol.
    Deep inside, I know I'm being selfish... because I love my plants, and since I've been neglectful, the right thing to do is find homes for those w/o insects, and toss those that do.
    I threw out 11 more..

Planto, which plants do you consider simple? lol.

I agree..there are days we don't feel like messing with plants, (of late, those days are more frequent) or anything else for that matter.
    Hey, does that mean I can discard dh?? lol...j/k.

Kath..I wish Aphids were the problem. But those dam* mealy.................
    Oh yes, plants mean a lot to me. If they didn't, I wouldn't have started this thread. :)

Hex. Did you end up tossing infested plants?

Physical health problems zap energy standing, let alone caring for large numbers of plants.
    Health comes first. You know?

I'm sorry for all here who had to dump plants for reasons other than 'boredom.'

I'm also sorry I've 'probably' wasted everyone's time. I've come to the conclusion I'm going to let Mother Nature and home-made remedies do the job.

Using chemicals only adds to stress. I know if I bought a bottle it'd sit on the shelf..end results: tummy and head aches.

Thanks guys. You've all been a big help, especially putting up with my ranting. :)

Our son had surgery last week, so gotta make him lunch.
    I know, it's late. :(

PS. Another thing troubling me. I love GW, talking to people, looking at pics, reading and offering advice.

I hope it's not a problem if I reply to someone who has a plant question, considering my own plant situation...???

Toni

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Toni....just because you've had some plant problems doesn't mean that you don't have years of good experience behind you! You had BETTER keep posting. Your input is very valuable.

By the way, if you google 'Marathon insecticide', you'll come up with the right information. It's another imidicloprid systemic....mealybugs aren't on the label, nor is indoor use, but it would be worth a phone call. I might do that tomorrow.

Keep up with the plant thinning process, Toni. Just think about all of the nice, clean space inside the house you can now reclaim.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

hopeful, I am not insisting, just clarifying.
    go to African violets forum and search (on the bottom of the page, just AV forum) for marathon.
    eg here's a paste link for m/bayer
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/afrviolet/msg0409255423244.html
    as far as bonide: that's what I used on my indoor plants - for ants specifically. and they are gone.
    FYI. also see citrus forum: people treat their trees with imacloprid and then they eat their oranges;) . of course, not right away. and I can tell you they are very conscientious for most part about what they use and a lot of them keep the trees indoors.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Rhizo...Thanks.
    That's what I'm doing...cleaning 'n tossing. Any plants that look bad are going in the compost.
    Those w/o insects are in front of the garage. When dh gets home from work, I'm going to ask if he'll carry my Pachypodium out..

Rhizo, please, keep pushing me..Come on, you can do it. lol...I need motivation...")

If half my plants are discarded I'd still have a housefull.

Pet, I checked the AV forum. Thanks.

Please check this label... Marathon

http://www.ohp.com/Labels_MSDS/PDF/marathon_1g_label.pdf

Copy and paste..Read Caution.

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Fed Up! May Toss Plants

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Well Toni,..

I don't remember her talking about her patients so much as it felt like she was studying my every move and analyzing anything and everything I said.

Kinda creeps ya out after awhile. LOL

Check out the link...interesting stuff! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: a link just for Toni

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

and this is for bayer 3-in-1 systemic, .47% imidacloprid
    check it out
    http://www.bayeradvanced.com/system/product_variants/label_pdfs/000/000/060/original_3-in-1-Insect-Disease-Mite-Control-Con.pdf
    is the house treatment for infestation more acceptable to you and less toxic?
    for some of us systemic is worth it for others - not.
    the water dunking will not kill all the ants (I tried that too) - they will reestablish the colony elsewhere.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Petruska,

Pardon me for intruding, but If I may, pls. enough w/this suggesting. She's never gonna use that; Toni does not use chemicals & she has pets, especially birds. She's clarified this point several times. Pls. leave it alone.

PS: lest I seem anti-chemical, I'm not, I've used what you're suggesting myself, indoors for my Hoya collection, cause mealy can spread thru them like wildfire!

I used it twice over several yrs.; felt the mealies wouldn't dare come back. (I don't have kids or pets.)

Hiya Toni,

Been in the background just reading & following along (I hate the term 'lurking', sounds like a stalker), am hoping things improve for you & the plants soon.

As to motivating, if I may, much of the time, you've been a very good plant parent; you've had the beautiful plants to prove it. We value your input & imagine w/ time, more perseverance & some (what I've begun to call) 'ruthless selectivity' you MAY choose to rebuild a more easily managed collection. Trusting you know we're certainly here to help in whatever way you might find helpful. I'm sure others here feel similarly.

(PG) Karen

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

not to bicker, but hopeful was inquiring about bayer systemic suggested by meyermike. 'so as not to buy the wrong one'. so she is considering...
    I was merely following on the same idea, except indoor formulation. I myself would not use an outdoor systemic indoors.
    'nough said, mums the word for me.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Although I haven't looked really closely yet,since I put my staghorn outside I'm daydreaming about mother nature's host of natural predators that lie in wait ror them. The gang has had it cushy inside without having to look over their shoulders for quite some time now and I imagine they've grown pretty complacent but in spite of temps that threaten the frikkin 30s here lately I can only hope the weatherman is wrong(Sometimes i count on that lol)....as I gradually move more plants outside.

I've given up on my spray experiments now so it's up to the great outdoors to rid me of my affliction. I hope all the predatory insects out there consider it a free lunch! :)

To see my poor stag covered with ladybugs would do my heart some good!

• Lamora
    10 years ago

thought I would pop in and say, I know I don't have NEARLY as many plants as most of you do. 30 maybe, but they are now, not getting the care they need from me. I too, suffer from depression, and when I suffer, so do a lot of things, dog and cat included.

So I had to do a re- thnk and think about what is best for the plants. I do know that for now, I am not going to buy any new ones until I know I can take care of them right. Right now, most my plants are just there, not dying, but not really growing either. So no new ones till I can figure out what I am doing wrong.

Depression~~ sometimes the plants help with that for me~~ other times they are part of the cause...

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morning,

Asleep...thanks for the link. I added to favorites.

I've used half the ingredients listed to kill ants.
    I'll have to try the other stuff.

Maybe because of temps, there aren't as many ants as before. But, I KNOW those sneaky creatures are hiding in wait somewhere.. Probably in plant soil.

I had to laugh about chalk.
    It's said ants will not walk past a line of chalk. 'another site.'
    Can imagine lines all over the house. Maybe I'll draw hop-scotch, get a couple stones, and start hopping. lol.
    Coco would love it. He'd think it's play time.

Pet...Thanks for all your help, truly, but as I stated above, as far as plant pests, I'm counting on Mother Nature and natural products.

I've placed Terro Baits in places ants congregate and pets can't get to.
    Even that scares the heck out of me. I worry an ant that ate poison will climb into the bird cage, then land in their food or water bowls.

In the last year, we've lost 3 pets. Our dog, Sam..12.5 yrs-old age. Bird Mystic..my oldest, would have been 18-yrs-old. Bird, Moonbeam, 7-years..daughter of Mystic. She was born with health problems. Honestly, we're amazed she lasted as long as she did..

Our two remaining birds usually stay in one room, but sometimes fly in another. If one was to land on a treated plant..................

But, thanks for your suggestions.

Hey Karen. Now that you mention it, lurking does sound like stalking.
    Then again, stalk and house plants go together. :)

Thanks for the kind words. It means a lot. More than you'd imagine.

It took a long time, years, but I now understand one reason you choose to keep plants inside.

Yep, and thanks again. I know I can count and learn from you and a few others.

Pet, please don't take offense. Karen and I have been friends a long time, so she can read me like a book.
    She knows my feelings about chemicals.
    You're right, I asked about Bayer. I was and am worried about mealy infestation, and considered using a strong product as a last resort.

Sometimes, words sound harsh, 'online,' when in fact, a person is only making suggestions.
    Believe me, I know. I've had my feelings hurt, when the person/people didn't mean what I interrupted.

Asleep. Which insects are natural predators? Can they be ID'd?
    I know ladybugs help, but we don't see many these days. Probably because everyone sprays insecticides. That crap is killing off the good guys.

Last summer I ordered ladybugs from an online store. Cute, healthy little gals and guys.
    I set several on different in and outdoor plants. Two days later they disappeared! What the heck?
    I ordered a second batch..Same thing happened.

We used to have ladybugs galore..they even moved inside the house and lived throughout winter. 'I won't kill a ladybug or toss her/him outside when it's cold.'

It's funny...every four or five hours I check local temps. Like you, I pray they're wrong.
    30's in May! What's that about global warming? lol.

Does your Staghorn have insects? Think you said something was troubling your Staghorn in another thread, but I can't recall the problem.

Have you noticed a ladybug and butterfly decrease over the years?
    Do your neighbors treat their lawns and flowerbeds?

When you bring plants back inside, do you find ants/spiders?
    Asleep, I realize spiders are 'supposed to' be good bugs, but I have a spider phobia.. lol. No matter how many bad insects they kill, a group of spiders, 'ain't' worth it. lol.

Which spray experiments have you tried?

Hey Marjie.. I remember when you first posted, asking about Spider Plants. :)

You now have 30 plants? They're easy adding to a collection, right?

Although GW is very helpful and a whole, lot of nice people chat here, it can also be dangerous. :)
    Ppl post pics of their beautiful plants, and the urge to adopt is on our minds.

Agreed, depression is awful. When feeling blue, the depresee' looks around thinking, why and how. 'Why did I buy another plant and how am I to care for that plant/pet when I can barely care for myself.'
    I'm using 'I' in general.

It's fun buying new plants, assuming how well it will do. But without care, it's not going to look very pretty. You know?

Marj, are the plants you set outside growing? Is it cold and cloudy there?
    Have you started fertilizing? I know, more work, lol.

Yes, I agree 100%. Plants can make one feel less depressed, but when too many need attention, they cause more stress which leads to depression.

Guess the thing to do is buy 'X' amount of plants, and only those that sweep one off their feet. lol.

In my case, I have to avoid going to Ebay and online nurseries. Plus delete emails from nurseries. When grocery shopping, steer clear of the plant sections.

Marj, you're in my prayers. I pray you overcome those 'depressing' times.

Toni

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    10 years ago

Toni,
    I do more reading then posting and have often followed your advice to others re:houseplants. I think you are doing the right thing by following your own advice and commonsense by getting rid of the trouble plants.Plants should bring enjoyment not stress.
    I put mine outside too during the summer but can hang or put most up off the ground.Easier to water,feed take cuttings etc.Plus I prefer being outside especially after a long dreary winter.My bugaboo are slugs-ugh-that is why
    they are off the ground.
    I did have one incidence of ants in a pot when I tried to overwinter a parsley for awhile.Forgot that was a ground pot and lugged it in- went to water it one day and a whole bunch of little ants appeared on the sink counter.That pot went out into the snow quick!!!Sprayed the whole counter with vinegar till they drowned and flushed them down the sink.
    A tree frog came in once too-just left him alone in the plant.If a snake ever shows up in a pot I'll probably have a heart attack.
    I get a ladybug invasion every winter in the house along with those pesky window flies that you find dead on the windowsills.I leave the ladies alone and swat the flies.
    I think as we get older it sometimes becomes more of a chore to do the same things that we easily did when younger and it is wise to cut back and simplify things .
    That being said and done, I already know that come fall
    I'll drag in whatever is still blooming before the frost comes just to enjoy them a while longer plus all the cuttings from the houseplants and the parent plants if they are still alive and looking ok. Will probably buy that plant that catches my eye in the middle of winter etc.etc.
    Anyhow that Wiki post looks good re:pests that Asleep
    posted. .

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Ants love corn meal...they eat it til they explode. Toni?...would cornmeal be a prob for the pets? I'm not really sure so I'd better ask. If the pets are safe with cornmeal,just drop a handful in front of where an ant is headed and it will call all it's hungry friends to join in and worse yet(for them)they will carry it home to mom who will likewise kill herself eating it.

Betcha even have some cornmeal about the kitchen somewhere! :)

As to ladybugs,from what I was recently reading you can put them in the fridge and they will go dormant for like weeks or something. So I suppose you could store them until needed. Now I'm thinking if you had a great big dry cleaning type bag and put the entire infected collection in there and dumped in a truckload of ladys and tie off the bag?...Hmmmmmm
    ...By the way,...ladys eat mealy too! ;)

Just a thought! :)

ANYhoo..
    The staghorn is out of easy sight so kindof out of mind(gah...you're gonna make me go look at it aren't you?lol),..but up under the stairwell and in relatively decent shade is a real good place for it and hopefully the scale don't like the dips in temp by night that frankly the stag hardly minds(a really handy thing about 'em if you ask me).

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good Morning,

Danny, hope you see this post.

I want to thank you for suggesting Oak Park Conservatory.

After playing phone tag, I finally talked to the conservatory manager.

She asked me to name plants I intended on donating. My mind drew a blank. lol. I honestly could not think of one name. After a noticeable pause, I stupidly said, 'um, well I have several Jades.' lol. Talk about embarrassed!

I had an incompleted, pre-written list, but, of course, I didn't have it handy. Didn't expect her to answer the call, after trying two other occasions.

Anyway, she explained what needed doing. They don't pick-up plants, so I have to figure a way to get plants there. We have an old, OLD Jeep. Hopefully, dh will drive me and plants to OP.

She gave me her email addy, so I'm going to snap and send photos.
    The conservatory doesn't have space for duplicates, so she'll weed out plants, (via photos) they have or just don't want, then let me know which they'll take.

I'm awaiting sunshine. When cloudy, as it's been the last week, pictures are too dark.
    The calendar says it's spring, but doesn't feel very springy.

Anyway, thanks again.

Hi Caro,

Yep, plants enjoy being summered outside. They love warm days, cool nights. Fresh air and humidity..humidity depending on plant type.

I have hanging plants, but did you know ants climb poles? I watched the little creatures parade up and across a plant pole. This went on about a week before I sprayed them with vinegar.
    They marched up from the ground, hauling a white object, 'eggs?' in their mouths.

I don't think slugs are capable of climbing metal. Right? But, when on the ground!!!!!!!!!

One day, the wind blew my String of Pearls down. Soil and foliage fell to the ground, close enough to scoop back in the pot.
    Not only were there ants, (larger than those we normally see,) but a few 3-5", clear color, jelly-like, wormy things. Slug or grub? Anyway,, whatever they were turned my stomach.

I bet you were shocked seeing ants covering your counter? lol. Shocked and repulsed. That'll do it.

A tree frog would be cute, but forget the snake! I don't know one snake from another, not that type matters. lol.

Funny you have ladybugs every winter. They're so cute and helpful.
    But, I wonder if they're presence is good or bad? Bad as in, do my plants have bad insects which are keeping ladybugs alive???

A few times they were alive and well here, too, but died before spring.
    I felt terrible. Who'd harm a ladybug??
    You can't tell her to fly away home to her kids when outdoor temps are below freezing...kids are probably among the group anyway...lol.

Yes, you are SO right about getting old. lol. So true.
    Time to simplify not complicate. Rid some plants and hang curtains. :) A novel concept in this household.
    However, if I was 18-years and found hundreds of ants in the house, I'd feel the same. Know what I mean?
    My energy has been pretty low, but discovering an ant farm moved in the house, lowered it minus 0.
    Sunless days sure don't help matters..and the days have been sunless. :)

One thing. It's difficult choosing plants you'll never see again, especially if they've been with you for years.
    Is that being selfish or logical?
    In a way I feel selfish...if I can't have them nobody will. Then I feel guilty for feeling selfish..lol. The problem isn't only ants and lack of space.
    My back and knee problems are worsening, so it's nearly impossible caring for these guys the way they used to be cared for throughout the years.
    Think I'm trying to talk myself out of guilt? :)

Good luck with your plants, too. If you can get cuttings to root, have the space, fantastic.

It took years before I was able to toss extra cuttings. I then realized, no matter how difficult, once the cuttings were tossed, there'd be more room for new plants. lol.
    But some plants can't be cut and rooted. 'fat plants, certain bulbs.'

Yes, I agree, the link Asleep posted is very helpful.

BTW, What type of plants do you grow?

Hi Asleep,

Actually, I placed corn meal in areas my birds can't reach. Behind sink faucets in kitchen and bathroom. Behind the stove.
    At first I wondered if corn meal would invite mice, but a different article said, if rodents eat non-cooked corn meal,, they'll explode, too. Kill two birds, 'not literally,' with one stone.

Yes, I have corn meal, flour, etc. I bake treats for the holidays, 'well, used to,' lol, so corn meal is readily available. No need to run to the grocery store.

Last year, I bought live ladybugs..because it was too cold to set out, in the fridge they went. Poor guys..:(

I received lady bugs Saturday, set them outside Sunday. can't find one. lol. I followed directions to a T. Mix one teas of sugar in water, then spray ladybugs with the mixture.
    The suger water is meant to keep them in the area so they don't fly away..Yeah Right! lol.

I heard ladybugs eat mealy, too, but some people say it's not true. Aphids yes, but not ladybugs.
    Who knows what or whom to believe these days.

Asleep, have you tried Fish Emulsion? It might or might not rid scale, but it sure worked for me. Well, my plants..lol. I personally do not have scale. lol.

Did you post a pic of your Stag? Can't recall.

Again, thanks for the help. Toni

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good Morning,

Danny, hope you see this post.

I want to thank you for suggesting Oak Park Conservatory.

After playing phone tag, I finally talked to the conservatory manager.

She asked me to name plants I intended on donating. My mind drew a blank. lol. I honestly could not think of one name. After a noticeable pause, I stupidly said, 'um, well I have several Jades.' lol. Talk about embarrassed!

I had an incompleted, pre-written list, but, of course, I didn't have it handy. Didn't expect her to answer the call, after trying two other occasions.

Anyway, she explained what needed doing. They don't pick-up plants, so I have to figure a way to get plants there. We have an old, OLD Jeep. Hopefully, dh will drive me and plants to OP.

She gave me her email addy, so I'm going to snap and send photos.
    The conservatory doesn't have space for duplicates, so she'll weed out plants, (via photos) they have or just don't want, then let me know which they'll take.

I'm awaiting sunshine. When cloudy, as it's been the last week, pictures are too dark.
    The calendar says it's spring, but doesn't feel very springy.

Anyway, thanks again.

Hi Caro,

Yep, plants enjoy being summered outside. They love warm days, cool nights. Fresh air and humidity..humidity depending on plant type.

I have hanging plants, but did you know ants climb poles? I watched the little creatures parade up and across a plant pole. This went on about a week before I sprayed them with vinegar.
    They marched up from the ground, hauling a white object, 'eggs?' in their mouths.

I don't think slugs are capable of climbing metal. Right? But, when on the ground!!!!!!!!!

One day, the wind blew my String of Pearls down. Soil and foliage fell to the ground, close enough to scoop back in the pot.
    Not only were there ants, (larger than those we normally see,) but a few 3-5", clear color, jelly-like, wormy things. Slug or grub? Anyway,, whatever they were turned my stomach.

I bet you were shocked seeing ants covering your counter? lol. Shocked and repulsed. That'll do it.

A tree frog would be cute, but forget the snake! I don't know one snake from another, not that type matters. lol.

Funny you have ladybugs every winter. They're so cute and helpful.
    But, I wonder if they're presence is good or bad? Bad as in, do my plants have bad insects which are keeping ladybugs alive???

A few times they were alive and well here, too, but died before spring.
    I felt terrible. Who'd harm a ladybug??
    You can't tell her to fly away home to her kids when outdoor temps are below freezing...kids are probably among the group anyway...lol.

Yes, you are SO right about getting old. lol. So true.
    Time to simplify not complicate. Rid some plants and hang curtains. :) A novel concept in this household.
    However, if I was 18-years and found hundreds of ants in the house, I'd feel the same. Know what I mean?
    My energy has been pretty low, but discovering an ant farm moved in the house, lowered it minus 0.
    Sunless days sure don't help matters..and the days have been sunless. :)

One thing. It's difficult choosing plants you'll never see again, especially if they've been with you for years.
    Is that being selfish or logical?
    In a way I feel selfish...if I can't have them nobody will. Then I feel guilty for feeling selfish..lol. The problem isn't only ants and lack of space.
    My back and knee problems are worsening, so it's nearly impossible caring for these guys the way they used to be cared for throughout the years.
    Think I'm trying to talk myself out of guilt? :)

Good luck with your plants, too. If you can get cuttings to root, have the space, fantastic.

It took years before I was able to toss extra cuttings. I then realized, no matter how difficult, once the cuttings were tossed, there'd be more room for new plants. lol.
    But some plants can't be cut and rooted. 'fat plants, certain bulbs.'

Yes, I agree, the link Asleep posted is very helpful.

BTW, What type of plants do you grow?

Hi Asleep,

Actually, I placed corn meal in areas my birds can't reach. Behind sink faucets in kitchen and bathroom. Behind the stove.
    At first I wondered if corn meal would invite mice, but a different article said, if rodents eat non-cooked corn meal,, they'll explode, too. Kill two birds, 'not literally,' with one stone.

Yes, I have corn meal, flour, etc. I bake treats for the holidays, 'well, used to,' lol, so corn meal is readily available. No need to run to the grocery store.

Last year, I bought live ladybugs..because it was too cold to set out, in the fridge they went. Poor guys..:(

I received lady bugs Saturday, set them outside Sunday. can't find one. lol. I followed directions to a T. Mix one teas of sugar in water, then spray ladybugs with the mixture.
    The suger water is meant to keep them in the area so they don't fly away..Yeah Right! lol.

I heard ladybugs eat mealy, too, but some people say it's not true. Aphids yes, but not ladybugs.
    Who knows what or whom to believe these days.

Asleep, have you tried Fish Emulsion? It might or might not rid scale, but it sure worked for me. Well, my plants..lol. I personally do not have scale. lol.

Did you post a pic of your Stag? Can't recall.

Again, thanks for the help. Toni

Thanks for asking.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?