Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me with my potted plant

Posted by Neelios UK (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 13:40

Hi all,

I would like some help identifying my plant. This is the only plant i own and am likely to own for the next few years as i live in a small flat/room.

Foolishly i threw away the little peice of card that came with it which had all the instructions on. Although i have grown to love this little guy but do not know how to look after it.

Can anyone tell me what it is and how often i should water it etc.

Also do i need to pull the bottom leaves off?

Thanks for the help everyone!€

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me with my potted plant

Hi,

It's some kind of Bromeliad, maybe an Achmea or Guzmania. I don't know its care, someone else will come along w/ suggestions. Nice plant.

I don't believe any leaves should be pulled off, they all look just fine to me.

o

It's a Guzmania - I have never grown one but Google brings up lots of info. Don't remove the bottom leaves unless they die off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guzmania thread

This post was edited by flora_uk on Thu, May 16, 13 at 13:48

o

It's a Guzmania Empire.

The central red flower will gradually die and you can trim the dead bits off.

You can already see new shoots coming up the sides - EVENTUALLY they will produce new red flowers.

Oh, and keep it pretty dry - certainly don't let water sit in the joints between the leaves.

o

It could be a guzmania, but I think more likely to be a neoregelia. No matter, culture is the same.
DO NOT water in the cup, as most sources will tell you to, and which the card that you lost almost certainly said. Watering in the cup is what happens outdoors, but indoors, that's the way to rot the plant. Water the soil, same as any potted plant.

Water it only when the soil is ALMOST dry all the way to the bottom of the pot; use a small wooden dowel or kebob skewer to reach into the soil to tell the moisture.

The flower may last up to 3 months, but eventually it will die, and you can reach down inside with some scissors and cut it out. The mother plant can be kept as a foliage plant for many years, if you don't overwater.

If there's lots of light, the pups at the side should continue to grow, although many of the modern cultivars don't reliably flower a second time . At any rate, the mother plant will die after a few years - they flower only once in their lives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here