Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trace00969

what is fish emulsion and what does it do??

trace00969
16 years ago

I ahve been reading a whole lot of posts that recommend using fish emulsion, what ius this, and what does it do for your plants??

Thanks

Tracy

Comments (16)

• trace00969
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have been reading about people using and I wanted to know why, what are the benefits, although the scale thing is a good one. I use a weakened dertilizer already so I dont want to overdo it.

Tracy

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Tracy, if you happy with your fertilizer, there's no reason to change..but it really does rid scale. At least cut down the population. Though my olive is now scale-free. Thank goodness. LOL
    I'd think many people use it because it's organic instead of chemical..
    Like I said, I use FE for palms, cactus and succulents. And in fall, I do foliar spray..Toni

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

To answer your question, it is a low nitrogen, slow-release fertilizer with lots of micronutrients. Even the 'non-organic' folks should use it (or something like it) every once in a while. Many of the popular house plant fertilizers don't contain micronutrients.

It's the 'oil' in fish emulsion that keeps the scale insects at bay. Should also work with mealies, spider mites, etc. ;-)

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Rhizo...would you say that Eleanor's VF-11 has similar micronutrients to FE? I've smelled that stuff and it's awful! At least out of the bottle...I'm sure it dies down like Toni said. Also, if it's the 'oil' that keeps the insects at bay, would Neem oil do the same thing in terms of keeping those creepers away?
    Thanks,
    Gabi

16 years ago

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about the Eleanor's product.

Neem acts in different ways than fish oil. It does provide some short term physical control (oil), but is most effective an an anti-feedant. Mites, scale, aphids, etc. just hate to feed on a plant that has absorbed some neem oil!

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Gabi, I've never tried Eleanor's V11, but my friend uses and vows by it..she said her plants look fantastic since. Toni

16 years ago

Gabi, I'm kinda skeptical of products that I have to HUNT to find a label, lol! It took a little while, but I finally found something with the ingredients in the Eleanor's product. That way, you can compare percentages with other micro products. When it comes to these minor elements, it really doesn't matter where it comes from...just as long as the plants have access to them occasionally.

I don't see a single thing listed (in the attached link) that would make this product special at all, but perhaps it's not the complete ingredient list.

I wish that someone who actually HAD a bottle of this stuff would list the active ingredients for us. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ingredient list

• gabro14
    16 years ago

I have been using Eleanor's for quite some time now, and I really do think it works wonders. I have no scientific evidence, but my plants have just improved so much since using it. And I've never seen so much growth. I use it both for soil fertilizing (with every watering, all year round), and also as a foliar feed.

Rhizo,
    Thanks for finding that information! Believe it or not, I HAVE the bottle and still didn't know what was in it! Only a few ingredients are listed on the bottle (I don't have it in front of me since I'm at work, but I think just NPK are written on the label...not too sure though. I think she tries to keep it a secret :) I'll bet anything that the ingredient list you found is incomplete! There must be some "special" ingredient that she's hiding from us :-)
    Gabi

• tivo532
    16 years ago

Here's info on the Alaska Fish Fertilizer:

Alaska Fish Fertilizer is a 5-1-1 preparation. The following ingredients are from the bottle.

Total Nitrogen is 5%
    0.50 % Ammoniacal Nitrogen
    0.75 % Water Insoluble Nitrogen
    3.75 % Other Water Soluble Nitrogen
    Available Phosphate 1 %
    Soluble Potash 1 %
    Primary Nutrients Derived form Seagoing Fish.
    Chlorine 4 %

Here is a link that might be useful: Alaska Fish Fertilizer

• Mentha
    16 years ago

.15%-.85%-.55%

Al,
    You can order a sample bottle directly from her. She's quite friendly, from what I've heard from pepole who contact her. 1-800-711-8585

Here is a link that might be useful: VF-11

16 years ago

Thanks, mentha (this is rhizo from Alabama (Dorie) and not Al). I'm not interested at all in the product, but others may be. ;-)

There would be no 'secret ingredient' in the product. It's simply that when we begin using some trace elements (FINALLY) on our poor captive house plants, they respond to it. I'm happy to stick with the fish emulsion, or whatever else I happen to have on hand. It's always fun to experiment, though. Especially when the results can be so rewarding.

• Mentha
    16 years ago

Sorry rhizo,
    For some reason I thought there were two Al's on this forum. My mistake :)

I do use Eleanors and I love it, I'm lucky I live somewhere where there are places that sell it for $4 for half a gallon on sale about twice a year. So I stock up whenever it is. I know somebody who raises hoyas and epiphyllums that used to be on this forum who swears by it, and to look at her orchids and such, it would be well worth searching out.

I also make my own fertilizer sometimes using the controversial beer formula, which also helps yellow deficient leaves recover. Surprisingly it doesn't make your house smell like a brewery either.

• dkh2
    13 years ago

Ok This is 2-1-2011 and on my bottle of Alaska Fish Fertilizer
    It doesn't say anything about Chlorine at all
    Are you guys sure it says 4 % ?

• phxplantaddict
    12 years ago

Yea baby!!

• yotywuzup
    8 years ago

English much? idiot

-John Johnson