Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wondering what type of plant this is?

Posted by wild4bean (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 14:01

Hello,
I was given this plant to me a few years ago and I'm not sure exactly what it is. It seems to be happy regardless of the condition I put it through!! It did have long stems with flowers on it but I trimmed them because they dried out. I keep it in a window that gets afternoon sun.
Thanks for the help!

Here is a link that might be useful: plant in question

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wondering what type of plant this is?

I'm guessing some type of begonia....

o

I'm not good with begonias either, but looks like a beefsteak begonia with the large round leaves.
Beverly

o

Hi all,

Yes, a Begonia, nice plant, looks happy & healthy, seems you're on the right track w/ its care. I don't believe it is Beefsteak, but I can't offer an alternate name, sorry.

o

Thank you!! I will research begonia and see if I can find the actual name. I don't have a green thumb but it doesn't keep me from trying!

o

If you haven't already, you might try asking for an ID on the Begonia forum.

It is a lovely specimen and you've done a bang-up job!

Linda

o

Thank you for all the help. I googled it and I believe it is a tea rose begonia. This forum is absolutely wonderful as well as the people that belong to it. Thank you so much everyone!!

o

Hi...I believe that Bama gardener is right, it looks alot like a beef steak bagonia....I had one once long time ago....linda

o

Emerald.....I missed Bama saying something about Beef steak but that definatly looks right. My hubby is gonna LOVE that I have a Beef Steak in the house!! lol Thanks for all the help everyone!

o

This is a Beefsteak begonia, Begonia erythrophylla. It's kind of a nice old cultivar. It blooms for me every early spring. It is a rhizomatous begonia, so it will tend to sprawl over time. This is its natural growth pattern, so you want to place it in a wide pot as it grows. You can take cuttings of it pretty easily if it gets too rangy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here