Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beef Steak Begonia Outdoors?

Posted by garnet69 (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 14:09

I inherited one of these begonias recently and I'm not sure if it can go outside and, if so, how much sun it can tolerate. I'd like to put it on my covered porch where it would get about 3 hours of early morning sun but shade the rest of the day. Anyone have any experience or insight with this plant outdoors? Appreciate it. Thanks.

Garnet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beef Steak Begonia Outdoors?

Sounds good, although I don't know how hot your summers get in your area.I grow mine indoors at a north light, then when temps get over 85 degrees I keep all my rhizomatous begonias outside and try to make sure any light they get is early morning cool East light. But BeefSteak is an old survivor, I'm always pleased to see it in other places indoors and out. It is kind of thick skinned which helps it survive and the rhizome holds a lot of water.So I think you can experiment with it in any light. The old true name is B. 'Erythophylla' and it has a few sports that are as well known as it is.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 22, 11 at 11:04

It actually sounds like an ideal spot. It's good to remember that there are no houseplants ..... only outdoor plants that tolerate indoor conditions to varying degrees. The plants we generally consider to me 'houseplants' are simply select outdoor plants that are most tolerant of the indignities we heap on them by growing them indoors. ;-)

Al

o

Thanks for the insight. She's been on the porch for a week now and so far so good. I'm in Southern Ontario so our summers can get hot -- not Florida hot but we can have some pretty hot and humid days.

Anyone know if a Peace Lily or China Doll would fair as well in the same location?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here