Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sticky white stuff, disease or pest?

Posted by vaherbmom (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 14:25

Hi all,

My small indoor palm, which I recently moved outside, has some sticky white stuff that looks kind of like cotton candy. During the last week it has also had some browning of the fronds.

Any advice?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sticky white stuff, disease or pest?

Mealy bugs

o

Ooooh, nasty little critters. Spread like nothing else. I've lost several plants to the hands of these.

I use Safers Insecticidal Soap. Not harmful to kids or pets (unless they drink the whole bottle I'm sure) and it works, as long as you're vigilant and keep up the treatment every week or so for a little while. At least that's how I saved the rest of my poor babies.

o

Ick! Where do I get the insecticidal soap?

Would Gardens Alive "Soap Shield" work? I have that on hand . . . .

thanks!

o

If you read the label on the container, you will see that Soap Shield is a fungicide, not an insecticide.

o

I can find Safers anywhere where I live. DIY centres, garden centres, everywhere. If you can't find it, alcohol works too. Use a Q-tip dipped in the alcohol then run it ontop of them nasty critters.

o

Or, make a water/alcohol solution to mist on your plants.

o

It seems no one has mentioned that mealy bugs are very contagious. Pls. check any other plants you may have had near it. Normally, one isolates an infected plant to protect any other plants one may have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here