Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn Plant Leaves

Posted by cara_585 Victoria, BC (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 14:32

Hello,

I tried to find a solution to this problem through previous posts but haven't been able to.

I have a gorgeous corn plant that I bought a couple of years ago. When I first got it, I had a bugger of a time to make it happy. Now it is growing like a weed and seems to be really happy. Only one problem, the new leaves have yellow spots on them like something is eating it. I checked the plant and I haven't been able to find any bugs. It gets plenty of light but no direct sunlight.

When I read a few of the other posts, people were talking about checking the roots. How do I do that? Could that be a problem?

My guess is maybe over-watering? I do have a tendency to do that. I have cut down on the watering but I thought I better check in case it could be something else. I really love this plant and I put a lot of love and work into it when I first got it, I would hate to see it die!

Thank you for all your help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn Plant Leaves

i would check the roots this plant has a tendency to drop bottom leaves

o

• Posted by cara_585 Pacific Maritime Zon (My Page) on
    Mon, May 20, 13 at 21:02

Hello,

Just an update. I have been keeping a close eye on my corn plant and it doesn't seem to be improving. One of the stalks, the new leaves have brown spots close to the stalk, look mottled and they are curling.

I was pulling back some of the lower leaves and it looks like dirt in between the leaves. Could this be a pest of some sort?

Thanks!

o

If it's been in the same pot for a couple years, the roots are probably packing the pot and in a circle around the bottom. Combined with the buildup of tap water chemicals over that time, that can make a Drac unhappy. Probably time to be repotted. Try catching some rain water for it if you can, or distilled, or the condensate from your A/C.

Here's some pics of one being repotted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here