Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudrnner

Gardenia with brown edged leaves

mudrnner
15 years ago

Hi,

My gardenia was looking absolutely gorgeous this entire winter and then recently it began to develop yellow leaves. I added some iron, but they kept getting yellow and falling off. I have been fertilizing with Miracid on a regular basis, have added epsom salts and added more iron. Finally, the weather warmed up so I put it outside. The yellowing has stopped, but now the leaves are getting brown along the edges, just a few at first, and now at least half. I am letting it get dry before watering, because I thought maybe it was too wet. Now I just don't know what to do. It looks horrible. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dyahn

Comments (19)

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

Hi...I am curious..What type of soil are you growing your Gardenia in? My here at work was doing the same exact thing as yours is doing. I had it outdoors all last summer, it was beautiful. Within a month of being in doors in full sun, it started turning yellow too. I lost alot of leaves and the buds started getting hard and falling off, turning a brown. Just last week, the leaves went fron yellowing to browning from the tips of the leaves and then further. I was also watering perfectly fine, since the pot dried out faster than most ,because of full sun, even in winter. I too fed it what you did except for Iron, still looking for a good one to use.
    I just put it outdoors in the shade yesterday to let it adjust to the outside, but it too looks horrible.
    I am going to do a big transplant to it, into Al's mix!
    Now it is the only one of a couple of plants I have growing in peat moss, and I have a feeling the entire enviroment in the root zone is working against our plants ,because I am getting the feeling our plants roots are suffocating from lack of oxygen, poor nutrition, and poor drainage due to the rapid breakdown and compaction of the peatmoss. Gardenia roots love fast draining soil and lot or air exchange which I never knew before . I am going to be transplanting it into Al's soil formula this week and see if this makes a difference. I think I will have nothing to loose at this point.
    I have been noticing since I have been on this forum, that what ever is happening on the top of the plants, almost always is a sign of something poorly happening in the soil to the plant.
    Maybe if my Gardenia roots breathe better, grow in a much better fast draing mix, then regenerate new roots to be able to take up nourishment, it just may take a turn for the better. If your roots are being suffocated, your plant is not going to take up any kind of nutrition, including the iron use tried. I will let you know ok. I will use my plant as a guinni pig for the benefit of helping yours..:-)
    That is why I am curious as to what your Gardenia is growing in.
    My mother had one doing the same thing, I put it into Al's soiless mix a couple of months ago, and it looks 10 times better than mine. The fertilizer she uses seems to work better for her now. I will let you know how mine does...;-)
    Remember, if the roots are not able to do their job, the first place your going to see a sign of poor health is on the plant above the soil.
    If your feet are in a bad pair of shoes, the first place your going to see the effects is in your back.
    Don't cover the problem with all kinds of fertilizers, but get to the ROOT of the problem.

• mudrnner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have the plant in a mixture of 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite and 1/3 vermiculite. I have never heard of Al's mix, what is it? I think you are correct though, I think it is a root problem, but I got this mixture from a supposed "expert" in gardenias. I am open to suggestions.

Dyahn

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Stop with all of the fertilizing! Unless you've been using extremely dilute amounts of everything that you've been adding, the chemicals could be the source of the burned leaf edges.

• mudrnner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It has been with 1/2 strength fertilizer, but I am stopping even that for now.

• snasxs
    15 years ago

When a Gardenia is happy, her leaves radiate light. Check out my post at http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg010938057590.html

I agree with meyermike. Traditional peat-moss-recipe breaks down and compacts over time. The corrupt mix will eventually suffocate the tender roots of Gardenia. When roots are happy, the plant is brilliant.

• mudrnner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

snasxs,

That is one gorgeous plant. So what do you use as a planting medium?

Dyahn

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Dyhan, my 13-yr-old Gardenia tree sometimes loses leaves during winter months.
    I agree holding off on fertilizer..too much and your tree will/could develop root and leaf burn. (brown edges)
    The soil mix I use is All Puprpose soil, Peat, and Perlite (for drainage) I also add 1-2 cups of Builder's Sand, sold at Home Depot. (Not beach sand)

Gardenias love cool and humid conditions. If a room is too warm/hot, chances are, 'denias will attract mites or worse.
    Have you checked for pests? Are leaves sticky? Webby?
    Mine are sprayed daily, (except when buds/flowers form) and a weekly shower.
    Soil should dry between waterings, not kept soggy. (moreso in winter, when days are short and dark)
    After Oct, stop fertilizing..begin when days lenghten, around Apr/May. Azalea/Rhodo fertilizers works best.
    A dose of Iron 1-3 times a year as a preventative keeps 'denias from Chlorosis, but you mentioned adding some, then re-adding when leaves remained yellow. If you use the proper dossage, there's no need for a second application soon after the first.
    Since you're in NY, in winter, place plant in the brightest window, south or west. During summer, if possible set outdoors. Start with shade, then work its way up to bright/medium light. Gardenia's love rain, but if your tree is in a pot w/saucer, dump excess water after half hour or so.
    Last summer I killed one 'denia tree for this very reason. Never again.
    Pruning isn't necessary unless a warward branch gets in the way. In fact, I avoid pruning altogether. It cold cost flowering.
    Good luck, Toni

• mudrnner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Toni,

I was spraying daily and then stopped when I put it outside, just kept forgetting, but will get back to it. I have it on a bed of pebbles in the saucer and will be sure not to let it stand in water. I am hoping it will come back in time. I haven't seen any new yellow leaves and the brown edges seemed to have leveled off. No buggies on it, I've checked very carefully. I think I was going a bit heavy handed with the iron and have stopped that. I guess time will tell.

Thanks for the tips.

Dyahn

• ankraras
    15 years ago

I am just another hobbyist who grows Gardenia for enjoyment. I am not here to agree or disagree but only to offer another opinion. Gardenia is like many other tropical plants that will certainly adapt if given a bit of time and other ideal growing requirements are meet.

In the hot Arizona desert a good number of my Gardenia are grown outdoors. The temperature easily rises over 110 and the Gardenia endure this weather just fine. I can not imagine that anyone out there keeps the temperature that high in their home. ;-]

Deficiency symptoms of a plants strength and health are commonly known as an open invitation to diseases and pests.

{{gwi:7760}}

• yazan87
    12 years ago

Dear All,

My Gardenia Jasminoides leaves are turning brown in a strange way, even the buds, and they are dropping when touched..

The brown color starts at random parts of the leaves (edge, side, base) and spreads to cover the whole leaf area.

I really need help in this.

Please check the photo link that clarifies the situation by showing some of the leaves that I took off.

My plant is indoors, it receives bright light (No direct sunlight) I water it regularly and it does not get wet feet.

Regards

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:86754}}

• sml5
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hello,

Half of My Gardenia is turning brown, and I am confused why. Originally, the leaves were turning brown and now it is half of the plant. At first, I thought the reason why the leaves were brown was because it was getting too much sun, so I moved it to a shady part of my patio. Its still in it's original pot, and I water and feed it when it is time to. So, I am at a loss on why the leaves are turning brown. I am sure that I am missing something, and if anyone could provide information why my plant is turning brown would be great. Thank you!

• ronaldsach
    6 years ago

i have a greenhouse room and grow lots of diff flowering plants- the only plant i can't get to grow is the gardenia- i'll buy one and it looks great for a month 2or3, put it outside in the spring and it looks wonderful... then something happens.. leaves start to turn yellow, then black and pretty soon its garbage time... sometimes its after i bring it in , in the fall... i use a nice light soil (promix) with some add perlite/verm, i don't overwater /fert- inside its getting bright light, outside its getting brite morning lite ... no direct sun... i've stopped trying to grow em as my success rate has been zero... and there is no bug issues that i see...

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    6 years ago

sml5, post some pics: at least one of the whole plant with the pot, some of individual damaged leaves, and one of the soil. Also tell us stuff like how long you've had the plant, when the trouble started, how you decide when to water, how often you usually water, and how much you water you give it when you do, whether the soil takes a long time to dry out, how often you fertilize and with what...

I don't know much about gardenias, but I do know that pics and details about how you've cared for it will help others to help you.

Lenore

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    6 years ago

Sorry, your two photos didn't show up when I saw your post yesterday.

Are there two plants in there, with one being dead? Maybe we need a knock from another direction. More information will help too.

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    6 years ago

Wow, can I relate...I put my Gardenia outside for the summer & it took off...When I brought it in the house it has since declined, lost leaves. I had to cut the top 1/3 off, now I put it in a south room about 6 feet from the window....I have little hope for it...All my houseplants are fertilized 1/4 strength...Been doing this for years.

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    6 years ago

The leaves on it were brown so that made me think it was burning. It's nothing but sticks now so I pitched it.

• sml5
    6 years ago

I would like to thank everyone who has replied to my posting, and to apologize for my late reply. I have been monitoring my plant since I moved it to the patio, and there is some new growth on it but I am still concerned because of the brown leaves. I never thought about it getting burnt or root rot because I do not over water. But, I will keep a closer eye on it. Thank you for your replies and please keep them coming. I need as much help as I can get when it comes to taking care of my gardenia. Thanks again!

• ronaldsach
    6 years ago

there is one at the vet office... they water it...when they remember, and ferts on the rare occasion ... its in a window that gets a bit of sun (not all that much) , and the thing keeps on blooming... meantime I baby mine, and they always get brown then black leaves and die... the only plant I have had ZERO success with... go figure