Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keltic_pickle

Pachypodium Problem

keltic_pickle
11 years ago

I've had a nice sized Pachypodium lamerei for several years. Recently it hasn't been growing as fast. And the young top leaves have turned black and fallen off. Upon closer inspection, on the surface of the plant's flesh, between the spines, I see some clumps of amber/golden brown things that look like tiny eggs maybe? They are small as a pin head. I just swabbed them off with a q tip and some rubbing alcohol. Any idea what these are? And should I take more extreme measures?

Comments (12)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Keltic, Pachypodium leaves usually turn black and drop when soil is too dry or ready to go into dormancy. Around autumn.

As for the clumps, it's hard to tell w/o a picture.

Multi-colored eggs, a real enigma.

It's a good idea you keep an eye on your Pachy. Hopefully, it's nothing more than dust?
    Is it kept outdoors? Toni
    PS: If you don't get an answer here, try Cactus & Succulent Forum. There's some real experts there.
    And a picture would be helpful. If by chance these 'things' return, snap a pic.

• keltic_pickle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Toni. It's kept indoors in a sunny window. And yes, the plant never suffers from blackening leaves this time of year, which is why I took a closer look. I did take one very poor quality picture of the clumpy things after I'd gotten them off the plant. The pic is not quite in focus - I tried as best I could though. You see them here on a q tip.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:86780}}

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Wow, I haven't a clue. It looks like jelly.

Hopefully, someone will know what it is. Actually, I hope it's nothing more than a food/harmless spill.
    Is that possible?

Did you notice an odor?

• keltic_pickle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Didn't notice an odor. And I don't think anyone's thrown a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at the plant, so I doubt it's jelly... :) Well, perhaps it's just an anomaly and won't be back. And maybe the plant just went a little too long in between waterings... I'll keep an eye on it.
    Thanks!
    KP

• sherryinmaine
    11 years ago

is it aphids?

I grew some plants outdoors one summer they showed up . . . . the 'eggs' (or whatever they are) were that color.

I dont know if that's what's on your plant, but look that up on the web

• keltic_pickle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Sherry. Looked up pics of aphid eggs and it COULD be that. Will try to remove all that I see. Definitely haven't seen any actual aphids flitting around thankfully.
    Thanks for your message!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

KP...Friday, I googled, orange bugs and orange eggs. Aphid eggs popped up, but they're more yellow.

If you get a chance check out whatsthatbug dot com.

Bed Bug eggs are amber color, but they don't hang around plants. lol.

KP, thanks..after reading your thread, I inspected all my Pachypodiums, lol. Toni

• keltic_pickle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Goodness, not bed bugs. I shudder at the thought!

• jamesvtfox
    11 years ago

Have you had any luck figuring out what the amber eggs are? I am battling the same pest now for over a year with my 9 year old pachypodium. I have sprayed with Insecticidal soap and it kills them but the eggs keep coming back and I've lost all new leaves.

• keltic_pickle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi James. No, never found out what they were/are. I just manually remove them with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. After doing this a few times, I don't seem to see as many of them and the plant looks a little better. Some new leaves are coming in, so not sure yet if they'll turn black. Hopefully not.

Good luck with your plant!

• pachyaddict
    10 years ago

Keltic: I've seen this often at the tips of the branches just under the leaves especially in the spring. I don't think it's any kind of infestation but something the plant produces.when in it's growth period. After the initial spurt the (sap ?) doesn't reappear.Try a systemic disease control concentrate when you water. Bayer makes a good 3 in 1 product. Since this post is late in coming, let me know how the plant is.

• keltic_pickle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Pachyaddict. I think you're probably right. The plant seems fine and did well through this past growing season.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022