Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer Lemon

Posted by adelae none (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 15:43

Hi! I recently bought a Meyer lemon at a greenhouse, it is about 3ft tall and covered in lemons and blooms. It has a whitefly problem, I've been taking it outside and spraying it down with neem. I've had it for a week and it has dropped several leaves. It's not enough that it would be noticeable if I didn't have to pick them up...but it still worries me. The lemons and blooms look healthy. Is this just a bit of shock from being moved? It is in a room full of windows and it getting an East (mostly) and NE exposure. It is still to cold where I live to move it outside, but it gets lots of sunlight. Should I be worried? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer Lemon

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 5, 13 at 20:54

Whenever a plant is shedding leaves for no readily apparent reason, it's time to take notice & review those things that COULD cause leaf loss. A reduction in light levels often causes some leaf loss, sometimes severe in particular trees - like Ficus. Tight roots and conditions of high moisture/low oxygen in the root zone also cause a drought response that manifests in the shedding of leaves. Plants can't think, they can only react; so when the root zone is flooded & compacted, plants can't easily take up water. The result is a plant dying of thirst in a sea of plenty because it can't effectively take up or move water - thus the drought response & raining leaves.

Al

o

Indeed, it is as Al says.
The Meyer lemon is particularly sensitive to changes in light and temperature. When you do move it outdoors, put it in partial shade to increasing sun over the course of two weeks.

Josh

o

Thanks for your help! I hope it doesn't drop any more leaves, new blossoms are opening up now and new buds are even forming. I guess this is a good sign? Also, I'd like to move it at some point out of the black growers pot and into terra cotta, when would you folks recommend I do this? It is draining well and I would guess it is not pot bound as it is in a large pot, but I like clay pots so much better than plastic. Even with drainage holes I just don't feel like they drain as they should. And thanks for the tips about moving outdoors!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 7, 13 at 14:03

If you're only potting up, you can do that any time, though it's best to do it when the plant is actively growing. Repotting is best done in the spring, but it can also be done right after a period of robust growth (citrus tends to add top growth in spurts followed by rest) spring through fall.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here