Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant and how do you look after it?

Posted by Sian87 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 15:46

Hi everyone,
My boyfriend and I just inherited some plants from a neighbour who was moving out. However we don't know what there are or how to take care of them. Could you help?
Thanks so much,
Sian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant and how do you look after it?

That's a ficus elastica, aka "rubber tree."
I've never grown one myself, so I can't tell you what they like, but you should be able to find some info now that you know the name.

o

Thank you for your help!

o

Has it been grown indoors or outside? It can be grown outdoors in tropical or subtropical areas. Can take a LOT of sun if it has been hardened off properly.

o

It looks like it might be covered with dust. If so, clean it up. A layer of dust blocks an enormous amount of light. :-)

o

You can hose it down to get rid of the dust and clean up the leaves. Make sure the soil is light and fast draining. They can take drying out better than they can take waterlogging.

o

I second the too moist soil. If your lower leaves begin to drop-too much water and not enough light.

Linda

o

Yes, Rubber Plants can tolerate as much sun as you can give them. They just need time to adapt.
At one point, I let mine stay outdoors for the summer and I let it grow in full hot southern sun. It loved it and grew quickly with the warmth, sun, and humidity.

Nowadays I don't put my plants outside anymore. The rubber plant now gets a southern window. I water it when the soil completely dries out. It's pretty easy to care for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here