Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
regaldozer

looks great - what us it and how to care for it

regaldozer
10 years ago

I've had these guys for about 3 years
This year they flower and wont stop. What to do?
Dead head, cut back, let em fly?

Not even sure what they are but I like

{{gwi:86868}}

This post was edited by regaldozer on Wed, May 29, 13 at 18:26

Comments (11)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I think your image and/or album are set to private. Can't see your pic.

• regaldozer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bump to see image works now?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Image works now.

What you have there is a Kalanchoe of some type...I found a pic of one online...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:86867}}

10 years ago

Yes, I can see it, but the details of the plant are not visible to my bifocal'ed eyes. Kalanchoe blossfeldiana is what I suspected from your description, pic enhances that suspicion but really can't sell well enough to say for sure.

10 years ago

Can't sell? How about see.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I feel ya,Purp...

My vision is going too. Somehow I've managed to keep putting off making an appointment with those people because I have a pair of reading glasses that I'm only now realizing how blurry my vision is without them...they're sposed to be for reading and I use them to see.

Sad huh? lol

10 years ago

Nah, just be glad they can make these wonderful glasses for about any vision problem except actual blindness. Sounds like it may be about time for bifocals for you too. Then you'll have THREE options for trying to see something. And when people call you 4-eyes, you can correct them that you're 6-eyes.

(So by now, Regaldozer is like, "Great, basically blind people are trying to ID my plant." LOL!)

Regal, have you had a chance to compare your plant to images of Kalanchoe blossfeldiana? If you don't think that's what it is, please say so. The way the flowers are so far above the foliage makes me hesitant about this diagnosis but this is not a plant I have much experience with - yet. Feel free to add another pic if you think that's not it. You can add one new pic per post.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

What a cheerful sight on your window sill! Yes, it's a Kalanchoe. The ones we buy straight from the garden center have been treated with growth regulators to keep them nice and compact. Now that regal's have outgrown their treatments, they are more elongated.

• Lamora
    10 years ago

For some of you that may not know this, If you click on the picture, it takes you to photobucket and you can inlarge it real nice.. (just a note to self, is all) :)

At least it did for me..
    Marjie

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Now that i seen the photo enlarged, I agree on K. blossfeldiana. I dont know if anybody saw my argument on the cacti forum but it was about this type of plants idenfication. At lest yours is in flower for confirmation.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

It likes a fast draining, evenly moist soil - which means a soil you can keep damp w/o it being soggy. The plant doesn't like to go dry, but it would rather be dry than overly wet. It will like full sun outdoors in the summer, and regular applications of a fertilizer chosen because it provides all the nutrients the plant would normally take from the soil. It would rather stay at temps above 65*, but will sort of stop growing (go quiescent) once the temperature drops much below 55-60*.

Once the flowers have gone over, you should cut the plant back hard and repot - not just pot up. Repotting includes bare-rooting and a change of soil - hopefully to a soil you can water to the saturation point at will, w/o having to be worried about root issues related to over-watering. That's the type of soil this plant wants. A fertilizer with a 3:1:2 ratio (ratio is different than NPK %s. 24-8-16, 12-4-8, 9-3-6, are all 3:1:2 ratios). I'm partial to Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 for all my houseplants for a number of reasons - ask if you want to know them.

Al

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES