Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Is oyster plant (Tradescantia spathacea) a fast grower?

Finally found one of these pretty plants at a BBS (shoutout to PG!) and can't believe I've been without it all this time. Cute & pretty small but I love it! Looks like it's a fast grower with a similar habit to T. pallida. What do you think?

Lots of google images real close on the leaves but very few showing an entire mature plant. Would love to see anyone's pics, old or new!

{{gwi:86898}}

Gotta love that there's 2 tags & neither have the botanical name. Don't know why I haven't thrown them away.

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Yikes! The first thing I thought about was how sensitive you are to some plants, having had some contact dermatitis after working in your yard. BEE-WARE of this plant, my friend.

The second thing that came to mind is that it does grow fast...so much so that it is considered invasive in some locations. ;-)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I think I'm safe, had it about a month. (Am 99% sure it's grape ivy giving me the rash, btw - I hope!)

I know it's a noxious weed in FL and I sympathize wholeheartedly but I promise not to let this one out of its' pot on the porch. Do I need to worry about seeds (am assuming it will make pink or white flowers at some point?) I suppose it could live inside permanently if seeds are a problem. I think I'm close enough that it would survive here outside. So many T.'s do.

• Moosetrackz
    11 years ago

Yep thats a fast growing plant alright!
    I had one and when I got it it was only one plant in the pot and in a few months their were 3 plants and I had to re-pot it. It seems to like the weather here in southern California. It was damaged though, in winter here one night when it was quite cold (lower then 40, maybe 32).

Heres a pic of it when it had grown into 2 plants. They grow in clumps off the mother plant.

{{gwi:86899}}

• randy_e
    11 years ago

This one here is a slow grower and easily controlled probably due to the abscence of green...
    {{gwi:86900}}

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

My Oyster grows slower than striped and Golden Moses in the Cradle, even though they're in the same family.

Oyster, Moses and Golden were in the same windows, near artificial light, yet of the three, Oyster didn't winter well. It's spindly, and colors less pronounced.

My Oyster never grew cradles/seeds like Moses..don't know what that means??

Moose, your Oyster is perfect. Fabulous colors and compact. Toni

Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree! What kind of exposure does yours have Moose?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Purple,
    I used to get poison ivy every summer. Once when I was 11 years old, I had it so bad that my eyes and mouth almost shut. Before we had air condition. Hot summer months.
    I found a cure that stops the itch and the rash almost gone in one day if used early. It is Head N Shoulders dandruff shampoo. Pure some on, let set. Rinse and repeat if needed. If done when first contact, it is gone same day. You could try to see if it helps you. Also good to use on your hair. Ha Ha.
    Stush

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Stush! If I blow up into a rash again, I will absolutely try this. Rinse & repeat - LOL! I got it bad enough to want a cortisone shot when I was 12. Luckily my past few episodes weren't that severe!

• mfyss
    11 years ago

Just a supposition, but T. spathacea seems to come in two versions; the full sized solid and variegate leaved kind which form those interesting flowers, and the miniatures with solid, richly striped, or mustardy leaves, which 'never' bloom. Anyone have a miniature which has bloomed? The miniatures reproduce rapidly, but no flowers/seeds. Yale